Advice needed: 16 or 18 count for Artecy pattern?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CavyMom

Advice needed: 16 or 18 count for Artecy pattern?

Post by CavyMom »

I'm ready to buy fabric so I can start my first Artecy pattern, but I can't make up my mind between 16 and 18 count Aida. Has anyone who has stitched an Artecy pattern have any advice?

They give the project size on 14 count, but I'm not a huge fan of stitching on 14. To me, it usually looks more "blocky" than I would like for this design. I stitch on 16 and 18 all the time, but it's usually in a kit where the count has been decided for me. I've ruled out evenweave. I've never stitched on it before, and would prefer to start with a small project.
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
agent_clone

Re: Advice needed: 16 or 18 count for Artecy pattern?

Post by agent_clone »

If it helps, here is an artecy that I've done in 18 count: http://crossstitchforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 22#p646770" target="_blank .

I think it's up to you and it also depends on what you can see. i.e. if your vision isn't that great 18 count may not be appropriate for you.

I haven't done anything at this point in 16 count so I can't compare...
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I think photobucket's keeping your photo from being viewed =/ Try postimg.org maybe?
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

Sorry I thought it was still working as I could see it (probably because I'm logged in to photobucket I guess...

Here's the image.

Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

So cute!!!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

My vote would be for 18-count. The smaller the stitch, the better the coverage with two strands and the smaller stitch doesn't look as 'blocky.'

This is on 18-count:

And a close-up to show coverage:

On the close-up, the striping is caused by the blended threads. The colors don't 'blend' when viewed that close, BUT you can't see the background fabric, which is the point.

WIP
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

During the time I worked on 14ct Aida, 2 threads over 1, I did find that the background showed through when doing flash photography. This was reduced to almost nothing at 16 ct. My only experience with 16ct was with 2 over 2 full cross on 32ct evenweave, but the results will be similar with Aida. I really think the 18ct Aida might be better than 16ct Aida, the holes are bigger than with evenweave, so the 16ct Aida will show the holes a bit at the corners of the crosses, especially if you keep the thread quite tight when stitching. If using 18ct Aida, it will give a more even finished surface when more of the holes are filled with threads. I think 18ct Aida is about as small as you can go and still use 2 over 2 full cross.

Can I give some re-assurance about evenweave. In my first evenweave project here (the 2 over 2 on 32ct mentioned above): http://www.crossstitchforum.com/gallery ... ic_id=7759. The full project is here: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=25792 but is dogged by the fact I've not moved the photos from photobucket yet, though the description of my learning process could well be useful even though there are no photos. I did initially find it quite difficult, but about 500 stitches into the 10,367 stitch project I'd got into the swing of things and haven't looked back since. My current 2 projects are 2 over 1 tent stitch on 28ct evenweave, with approx. 210,000 stitches between them.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

Thanks everyone for your help and reassurance. I'd been leaning toward 18, but couldn't quite commit. After seeing everyone's pictures, I feel good about it :) Those both turned out fantastic!

Richard, thanks for your thoughts on evenweave. I plan to give it a try next time I stitch something that's not 100% covered in stitches. I think it makes for a nicer background than aida.

Thanks again!
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

As a background, you're right, evenweave or linen is nicer, and I agree that there's no point in going for it with a fully stitched picture where you can't see any of the fabric.

For info, I have updated the photos in the 'Uranos Drops' thread to mostly bypass Photobucket, and hopefully the words will make proper sense now.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation