Heatwave

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

fuchsiafairy

Heatwave

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Hope all keep well & don't get sunburnt. Scorcio here! Staying indoors where it is cool - good excuse to sit down to do more x stitching along with a few cool drinks of course.
Polly :)
wendywombat

Re: Heatwave

Post by wendywombat »

:tizzy: Well it's 30C here in SW France and going to rise to 35C this week! :shock:

I shall Definitely Be Indoors!! :lol:
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

:tizzy: :tizzy: :tizzy: currently 28.2c here in north Wales :tizzy: :tizzy:

I do not like the heat at all, so I will be staying indoor too, with curtains closed to keep the sun out but with the windows open to (Hopefully) let the air blow through.

More stitchy time methinks.
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Glad your OK Goodness Wendy h ow do you cope? both - think I'd melt.

Went to water garden earlier the badly wilted & drooping shrubs have retaliated & are growing again. So pleased, fed them so they can really pick up now. Sun doesn't get to them until 1-2pm so they got time to take in moisture before sun gets there, due to be 29 again today, but hotter in that shrubbery corner.

Have to go out but shall be careful & keep in shade.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Well, I love it. :sun: Here in the West it's slated to get up to around 26C (78F) today (and it's hazy, so seems cooler), and perhaps as much as 30C (86F) by Thursday. Let the good times roll! :sun: I can open all the windows and get some lovely fresh air into the house. I can wash the winter coats! :whoop: We know it can't last, unlike in the US or lots of other parts of the world where summer starts in May and doesn't end until, oh, October, and that's why we love it so. My only concern is a peat fire up north, because there are so many more visitors who don't understand how easy it is to set an entire hillside up in flames.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

The trouble is that I should be in the garden with a book, a parasol and a glass of Pimm's - whereas I am actually indoors at the computer, doing the accounts. Quite wrong!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

What a shame Mabel.

Garnet hope you are OK. ITV said Hawarden hottest place in UK today 30.8, BBC said Porthmadog on north west coast was hotter. Were going to Aberystwyth tomorrow, thinking it may be cooler on that part of coast, but decided against it. Large wildfire there today & tomorrow due to be hotter there than today so no good being on beach or even in the shade!

Tomorrow due to be 31 c near Chester so north east corner of Wales extremely hot, hope you will be OK. Don't know if that includes Wrecsam area. Thankfully we are cooler. Not even a breeze today but so good not to have stifling heat. Seems tomorrow we will still be cooler than many places in north east Wales & on west coast Wales.

Hope you get the winter clothes sorted Serinde.
fccs

Post by fccs »

It's 95F here. Hot!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Roland

Post by Roland »

I think the heatwave is supposed to hit here tomorrow. I spent today listening to them bury our swimm8ng pool. :tantrum:

Here is Newfoundland’s weather today......keeping in mind....it is summer.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/weath ... 371ce.html" target="_blank
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

So I guess that means we are going to be in for a hot summer when the time comes - darn it. Whilst 30c is liveable provided there is no humidity with it - it's ok but 35c is getting a bit much.

Do take care everyone, wear a hat outside and carry water with you as well. You need to keep hydrated in the heat. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Fortunately it's dry at the moment. We had our conservatory dismantled on Sunday and one fitter has been building a new one since. The two sockets on the house wall have now spent 3 nights with no cover in case of rain. However, barely a cloud in the sky. Hopefully the new roof will go on today making it weather tight. It was strange yesterday evening routing TV cables, that are going to be covered by plasterboard, being in a space that was enclosed with walls, but open to the sky.

As for the temperature - yes. Not nice.
A colleague at work says he talks to a friend in Pensacola, Florida, and when he said about temps as high as 25C, the friend said 'Yes, we experience temps of 25C too, and have a name for them - Winter'.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

richardandtracy wrote: A colleague at work says he talks to a friend in Pensacola, Florida, and when he said about temps as high as 25C, the friend said 'Yes, we experience temps of 25C too, and have a name for them - Winter'.

Regards

Richard.
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
sina28

Post by sina28 »

We had 32°C here yesterday, it's supposed to get warmer each day until the weekend. Last year we had a few weeks of 35-38°C :tantrum:
I really can't stand this heat!!! Get all groggy and dizzy, and normally I work in a restaurant which is not very funny in a heat like this provided some customers tend to not be the friendliest then.
Well at the moment I can still hide in my room, maybe the heatwave will be over once I get to work again.
Hope you are all ok!
Sina
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

In Ukraine +25 is not considered "hot", it is "comfortable", "cool", "colder again", I call it "English summer". Heat here starts above 30.
Lyudmila
sina28

Post by sina28 »

I don't even mind 25 degrees too much Lyudmila, but everything above 30 is just too much for me!
Also we didn't have this kind of heat years ago, at least not here in Germany!
Sina
Garnet

Post by Garnet »

Whilst I am pleased for those who enjoy the heat, I really struggle.

Yesterday it was 32.6c in my friends shady garden with her outdoor thermometer, her car's temp reading (after being in shade all day) was 36c.

Our local online news said the Met. Office had said Hawarden (1/2 mile as the crow flies from where I live) had the highest temp, the BBC said a village in Cheshire. I think it's the way they site their locations for their temperature stations that are part of the problem, it is well known here where I am it is always a degree or two hotter then Hawarden.

I struggle in the heat and it's worse when there is no wind.

The thing is I live in a house built in 2010 with 4 inches of cavity wall insulation, 8 inches of loft insulation, 2 inches of insulation in internal walls, even the internal doors have that corrugated cardboard inside to keep heat in, oh and all our windows are double glazed and not all open. Even opening all windows and doors and keeping curtains closed doesn't help. We also face full south at the back of our house and only being 8 years old the trees are not mature enough to provide shade. It's fabulous in our winter as my heating bill is tiny, but hell right now.

So that is why personally I don't like and struggle in the heat, oh and we don't have air con either as we don't get enough of these days to justify the expense.

Gosh, all that sounds like an awful moan, I don't mean it like that, just an explanation.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

All this makes me smile! When it's cold/wet/windy/hot we always have an opinion about it. We wouldn't be human otherwise! :lol:

We are expecting 38C + at the w/end and I shall hide indoors after nipping down to the market at the crack of dawn in the relative cool.
I remember 15yrs ago here when the summer temps rose to 43C with high humidity. There had been no rain for a couple of months and all the leaves on the oak trees fell off. It happened in one day and the sound of falling leaves was like a waterfall! We then had a false spring after the rain and the oaks had new pale green foliage.

The following winter started in November with hard heavy frosts. Trees were breaking their branches with the weight of frost and ice on them it was so thick. Very pretty but So Cold. It went down to -16C for several weeks. We had to keep our woodburner alight night and day as we ran out of our gas supply. The tanker couldn't leave the yard to top up the cylinder.

As we are 300+ Kms from the sea we do get extremes of weather here.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Not looking forward to next week here in Southern Ontario. Hi temps of 30+ plus Humidex in the mid 40's. Going to be brutal.
Linda
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Yes, hotter today, don't know temp but too hot to do much except drink to keep hydrated.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:
richardandtracy wrote: A colleague at work says he talks to a friend in Pensacola, Florida, and when he said about temps as high as 25C, the friend said 'Yes, we experience temps of 25C too, and have a name for them - Winter'.

Regards

Richard.
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know it is really hot when besides the temperature they tell you what the THI (Temperature Humidity Index ) is or what is usually called the
"Real Feel" temperature. The last week or two ours has been between 38C and 43C (so glad Google has a quick temperature converter).

Carole
:hot:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker