Irma

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Irma

Post by rcperryls »

Thoughts and prayers for everyone who has come in contact with this horrible storm and for those who have family and friends in the path of it.
We are praying that it moves further and further east so that Florida will escape the worst of it and that it stays out in the Atlantic when it passes us by. We have two places that we can go if need be, and I have refilled Laverne's tranquelizer subscription (- we use it for vet visits as she gets subcutaneous fluid injections twice a week and without a 1/4 of a tab it takes 5 techs and me to get it done and only one tech and me with the pill) since she really doesn't love traveling anywhere). I'm sure Karen is in the middle of storm prep and a shift to the east would help her too.
My heart goes out to those who have been hit already.

September is quickly becoming one of my least favorite months.

Carole
:tantrum:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Re: Irma

Post by karen4bells »

We are definitely watching this intensely and hoping that Irma takes a nice easterly change of direction and heads out into the Atlantic and fizzles out. Hoping against hope that she doesn't come up the West Coast of the state--we are not too close to the coastal area but close enough that we could see a lot of rain and wind if Irma comes up the West Coast. I had bloodwork done this past Tuesday and had my Dr. appt for blood pressure meds etc scheduled for Monday Sept. 11th but they called this morning telling me the cancelled Monday's appts. due to the Hurricane threat and rescheduled for the following morning. Luckily I had inquired on Tuesday about that possibility and my Dr. went ahead and sent in a reorder for my blood pressure meds---so very glad I thought to do that and that he was prompt in calling in the request. Should the storm head up this way, we'll be out boarding up windows over the weekend--hoping we have made the proper preparations for whatever does come our way. 2004 brought 3 Hurricanes that affected our area and though no immediate major damage close by, we did lose power in one of them for about 18 hours and another one for 3 or 4 days. We are on septic and well so when we lose power we also lose any ability for water usage---not too fun.
Stay safe everyone--and Carole, I hope Irma avoids your area altogether!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Hope you both & your families keep safe & everyone else in it's at who you know. Sorry to hear about Laverne with meds Carole, but best to keep her sedated throughout the worst & a supply of spares. Karen, hope your boarding up holds out. Mjst be such a awful worry.

I do not know how those on Caribbean Islands get help as Haiti is still not had all rebuilding done since the hurricane several year as ago. Lots of parts are still not sorted out from what I've read.

:x: as well as toes crossed for everyone
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Good to hear from you Karen and like I said keeping our fingers and paws crossed. And then I remembered that our returning member Kuschelshaf just moved to Myrtle Beach. I really really want this one to go further east. And there is another one right behind it. :tantrum: :tantrum:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

All fingers, toes and paws crossed that these horrendous destructive storms do miss Florida and the east coast. We have been watching the news here in France as the islands, both French and British have been almost destroyed. :tizzy:
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Fingers crossed for everyone. As a multiple hurricane/flood survivor here's a few tips for anyone on the forum who is going to be directly affected.

1. Put stuff you don't want to get wet inside your dishwasher and make sure it's locked - it's sealed and attached between your cabinets which gives it extra stability.

2. Use heavy garbage bags to bag everything in your freezer(s) and refrigerator. That way, if you've evacuated and your home loses power for several days, your fridge and freezer will not be ruined by rotting food.

3. You can put your furniture up on canned goods - the extra 6 inches might make a difference if you get wind driven rain under the doors or rainwater back-up from the streets.

4. Print out your contact list - just in case you can't get your phone charged or it gets lost/stolen/damaged.

5. Add all of your insurance contact information and policy numbers to your "important papers" file in your bug out bag. Chances are your local agent will be in just as much of a fix as you are and his/her office will also be affected.

6. In addition to your own "bug out" bag, make sure you have what you need for your pets. Have any meds they need (including their next dose of flea/tick/heartworm meds) and get a copy of their vaccinations, rabies tag/license, and most recent physical. Have enough food and water for them for at least 3 days. Many hotels that don't normally allow pets will allow you to bring your pets in if they have kennels. A harness in addition to their usual collar (for both cats and dogs) is less likely to be lost and gives you more control over them should they become panicked. Keep a copy of their paperwork and a recent picture of them with you - make a second copy and enclose a picture of you/your family and contact information for you, your vet, and family/friends outside of the expected disaster area, seal it in a ziplock and tape it to the inside top of their kennels. If you get separated, this will make it much easier for you to get reunited with your pet. If you have time, add a second tag to their collar with the phone numbers of your vet and someone outside the disaster area.

Everyone stay safe!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Sending love prayers and hopes to all affected by this huge hurricane and sure hope it heads out to sea and away from all of you. Keep in touch as and when you can Karen and Carole.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kingfisher68(2)

Hope everyone is safe today. Such awful devastation with 3 hurricanes in a row. Caribbean islands are decimated!!! :beg: :beg:
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Granny Weatherwax

Post by Granny Weatherwax »

Take care everyone, I hope you won't be bothered too much.
poppy

Post by poppy »

My thought and prayers are with you too.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
kingfisher68(2)

Hope everyone is still safe today.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Irma is definitely breathing down our backs--I live near the Tampa area and we may well get a good dose of this storm!! I am hoping and praying that we don't sustain too much damage and hope that she decides to change her direction soon. Any good thoughts and/or prayers would be vastly appreciated!!
I will check in as soon as possible once we get through this, providing we have our power and/or house left!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Y'all look after yourselves. We'll hold the fort here. I'm sure I can say that you are all in our thoughts.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Oh so glad to hear from you Karen, I have been so worried as we watched this thing moving west. It is hard to be glad that happened, but for us, it took us out of the "cone". I just heard that Tampa hasn't had a direct hit from a major hurricane in decades. We were planning to evacuate when the storm was veering eastward as at one point we were a 40% chance of direct hit, which is about 40% more than I like. Cancelled reservations yesterday because we know there are people who need those rooms more than we did. Early yesterday morning the desk clerk at the Quality Inn we were heading to called to ask if we definitely would be there Friday night because there are people desperate for a night's sleep before continuing north to their destinations. They were calling people in non evacuation areas to see if they could find rooms for the night.
I never heard of a motel doing that before. Quite different than hearing about the ones that are raising rates, though the gauging isn't as bad as it's been during previous storms.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Stay safe. And let us know when you can how you are managing. Hoping it moves fast and does as little damage as possible.

Carole
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Thanks Serinde and Carole!! I am hoping it won't impact our area too badly, heaven knows it's going to be bad no matter where it ends up, but I am getting too old for this!! Carole, so glad you won't have to make travel plans, and as for us, well we aren't that close to the coastal area but still could definitely sustain significant damage depending on where Irma comes in!!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs

kingfisher68(2)

Glad you are not in the danger area now Carole & hope all goes well with you & yours Karen. Prayers & thoughts as well as fingers & toes crossed.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Thank you Izzi, yeah, we just got put on a tropical storm watch till Tuesday which will probably change tomorrow. We've had quite a few of those since I moved here and a few Cat 1's so I'm not overly worried now. My son in Jacksonville and his family were planning on moving further inland (they are in Fernandino Beach), but that might be worse. So I am worried about them. Karen, glad that y'all are as prepared as you can be and let us know when you can how you are.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
kingfisher68(2)

Thanks for update Carole. What a worrying time you have re your son & his family. Hope you will ALL be OK.

Karen, hope you & yours will be safe overnight too.

:hug: :hug: to you both. Take care. :wub:
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

So pleased for you Carole and Miss Laverne not to have to evacuate.

Karen send heaps of prayers, love and hugs your way and hoping like mad Irma keeps veering right out to sea again and stays there where she belongs. Keep us posted when you can.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
poppy

Post by poppy »

Be assured of my prayers too, Karen. xx
So glad that Irma turned away from your area, Carole, but I will pray that the tropical storm will do the same and stay away from any land. xx
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell