Floor Frames

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CuriousKitty

Floor Frames

Post by CuriousKitty »

Okay I know the Millennium Frame is really popular. I'm not adverse to change, but I'm wondering, is there any floor stand in anyone's experience that can hold Q-Snaps? Or if you are partial to Q-Snaps, what else do you use? Or did you migrate straight to a new kind of frame? I want to start planning for the investment of one, but I really don't know where to start. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much of a LNS community up here, so not many people I can check something out in person first before buying (oh how nice that would be!).
rcperryls

Re: Floor Frames

Post by rcperryls »

After much investigation (meaning asking lots of questions etc) I decided on a Lowery Workstand which works with Q-snaps, hoops and almost any type of frame I think. (I don't use it as much as I could or should because :oops: it gets tricky when a cat wants to get on and off your lap and I'm afraid I give in too much there.) There are lots of other options available and I know I will get plenty of use out of it. One strange thing we thought (I bought mine at the same time that Dana (Parksfarm) bought hers, is that it was considerably less expensive to buy it from Sew and So in the UK than from any of the US distributors. Including shipping costs. And arrived pretty quickly. So whatever you decide on, check a few different places before you make your decision. Makes two handed stitching much easier.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

Like Carole, I have the Lower and it holds anything. I also got mine from SewandSo - my #2 go-to store. Even with the shipping from the other side of the pond, their prices are competitive and their customer service is wonderful.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

So if I go with a Lowery Stand, I'm looking around and there's some wildly different prices. Half the ones I find are under 100 pounds, and the other half are supposedly around $300-400. What one earth is contributing to all these differentiating prices?

Figured I should edit with what I found. I didn't add the ones I found on ebay/amazon, those are the ones that were well over $300 each! I found someone selling a Lowery Corner clamp for $150 by itself, and I have no idea what's what. Man online shopping is confusing!

So there is "Siesta Frames" with two Lowery Stands:
http://www.siestaframes.com/acatalog/Lo ... stand.html" target="_blank - £89.50
http://www.siestaframes.com/acatalog/Lo ... stand.html" target="_blank - £149.99

SewExciting:
http://www.sewexciting.com/products/12/ ... ork_stand/" target="_blank - £70.79

Sew&Sew:
https://www.sewandso.co.uk/product/lowe ... rey/967429" target="_blank - £89.20
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I don't know about any of the suppliers except Sew and So and the only thing I can tell you is that when we were looking and that was several years ago, they had the best prices and are known for excellent customer service. Applies to outside of the UK also. the others you found may also be good, but clearly the prices are generally higher. Good luck deciding.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

rcperryls wrote:I don't know about any of the suppliers except Sew and So and the only thing I can tell you is that when we were looking and that was several years ago, they had the best prices and are known for excellent customer service. Applies to outside of the UK also. the others you found may also be good, but clearly the prices are generally higher. Good luck deciding.

Carole
I should probably rephrase my question- with the price difference between Sew and So and say, Ebay being several hundred- am I certain to be getting what I'm looking for at only 100 dollars or so? Are these stands actually only about $100? I read a stitcher's blog who recommended a different stand, that was $400! :shock: I just want to make sure that I'm getting the right thing.

Or rather, I can take the Sew and So as the legitimate price point?