Irma

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

karen4bells

Re: Irma

Post by karen4bells »

Thanks all, it really is appreciated!! Keep the good thoughts and prayers coming, we are definitely going to need them. Irma is still pretty vicious and bearing down on us. We will begin to feel the effects within the next few hours, and the worst of it will be late tonight thru Monday early afternoon. Hoping she isn't too bad to us!! I'll check in as much as possible!!
Thanks again!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

My tv will be on CNN or the Weather Channel for several hours as I watch the progression of Irma. Not only do I have Karen in Tampa, I have two dear friends just north of Sarasota. They put their hurricane shutters up Friday and have now thrown the hurricane bolts on their garage doors and are inside waiting. One friend has her brother and sister-in-law with her (as well as her two kitties), but the other is alone with her three kitties.

Praying for Florida.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Karen, it must be so awful having to sit through this violent storm for all those hours. Have Just seen Tampa & Fort Myers on ITV News. horrendous is too tame a word for that weather. Will be thinking of you & sending prayers until we hear that you & Laverne have survived :pray:

Hope you are OK Carole after the storm surges coming after the eye of the storms.

Debby, I pray for your friends will be safe too & join in prayers.

God bless you all & keep you safe as well as everyone else in the hurricanes path.

Sending :grouphug: to you all as well as :pray:

:wub:
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Thanks!! Laverne is Carole's cat but I do have a 24 Yr old cockatiel and a 20 yr old Bourke's Parakett, as well as hubby and son here with me! Hoping Irma loses some of her strength by the time she arrives in our area.
Work in Progress
Various small designs

kingfisher68(2)

Sorry I got the cat wrong Karen :oops:

Glad you are not on you own sitting through all that, must be like torture for those who are alone. Saw people in places used as shelters on the news, so glad they could fit large numbers in. As you say, hope it lessens by the time it gets to you.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Irma has made landfall which means it will now start to lose strength! Good news for my area, but it is still a few hours away and will bring strong wind gusts here, 80+miles per hour. Worst for us will be from about midnight to 8 AM tomorrow. We likely will lose power sometime during that time frame, but hoping we won't. Mainly hope not to have any damage to our house, but we have a few huge trees very close! So far, so good.
Work in Progress
Various small designs

poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you for keeping us updated, Karen (hug)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Good to hear from you Karen. It is so hard to keep my eyes off the news. We are not going to get much other than tropical storm winds and hoping that Irma's weakening means we will have less of a storm surge. Hope you ha e minimal if any damage and that you and yours stay safe. We should be done with this by Monday night or Tuesday morning. Looking forward to the day after. Almost always beautiful and clear with the cleanest air since the storm blows all the pollution away for a day.

Get back to us as soon as you can.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

karen4bells wrote:Irma has made landfall which means it will now start to lose strength! Good news for my area, but it is still a few hours away and will bring strong wind gusts here, 80+miles per hour. Worst for us will be from about midnight to 8 AM tomorrow. We likely will lose power sometime during that time frame, but hoping we won't. Mainly hope not to have any damage to our house, but we have a few huge trees very close! So far, so good.
This is super gladdening to hear! Just a bit more positivity to a more favorable outcome! Stay safe and keep in touch!
kingfisher68(2)

Glad it is lessening slightly & hope the trees stay put.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

So far so good. Irma went about 30 miles east of us as a category 2 around midnight last night. Our power stayed on, but kept flickering throughout the early morning hours so I disconnected the modem. Finally got to bed around 4 am this morning and woke up after almost 6 hours of much needed sleep!! We are still getting 50 mph wind gusts here which are due to be out of the area within the next few hours. The neighbors to the south of us has a huge old tree that went down, but it didn't hit his house, but fell completely across his front lawn. Too too close for comfort. We still risk a chance of any of the trees around our house doing the same, so please keep the prayers coming!! Sending prayers to all who were impacted by this storm and for all of the many thousands of people who are out there helping in the restoration process!!! :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Various small designs

richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Close, but glad to hear you're OK.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've been thinking of you all day since I saw Tampa was in the firing line. :shock:
Thank goodness that the winds have decreased, and even though the worst has yet to pass, I hope that those trees etc stay where they should.

Also hope that any storm surge doesn't flood any worse. Take care.

All we are getting on our news is about the hurricane, almost as if nothing else is happening in the world!
kingfisher68(2)

Glad you survived last night & that your neighbour's tree didn't hit any homes. Hope none come down around you. Take care, thoughts & prayers the worst of this has gone & fewer people suffer from it. The recovery people helping appear to be a great job. Must be extremely difficult to know where to start with everywhere flattened & debris all over the place.

Hugs & prayers

:hug:
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Thank goodness you are all ok. Our news channels are surprisingly short on detail about where the storm is now and where it has been.

Prayers continue for all concerned.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

Irma was one real *itch! But the results could have been much worse. I think the fact that so many people evacuated when told really helped. My friends made it through and are now hurricane veterans. I stayed up most of Sunday night watching the coverage on the Weather Channel and txt'ing one of my friends (the other one had people with her). Even when Nancy's power went out and she was trying to conserve her phone battery, I would text her at least hourly with where Irma was, what category she was (a 2 when she hit them), and some chit chat to help her feel like she wasn't alone.

I saw some pictures of Key West and recognized some of the places we went just a few weeks ago. Lots of damage there, but so far no loss of life, and that's what matters. I'm curious if the hotel we stayed in survived unscathed. Since it's right on the ocean, I kind of doubt it, but who knows.

Now I hope everyone in Georgia, South Carolina, and Alabama get through Tropical Storm Irma okay. (I'll be in Alabama this weekend, but she should be gone by then.) She certainly gets around! Floozy!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
kingfisher68(2)

Glad your friends are OK Debby. What a lovely thing to do, keep sending your friend who is on her own, texts every so often. Must have been such a big help to her. Hope all is well when you go to Alabama.

Karen hope you will be OK this morning & that you got more sleep than the previous night.

Prayers for all those along the east coast who are going to get some very strong winds & rain.

:wub: :wub:
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

fccs wrote: She certainly gets around! Floozy!!
Well, that made me laugh. :lol: We've had wall-to-wall Irma coverage – possibly as an antidote to Brexit, but more likely because weather is generally a safe topic in the UK (especially someone else's weather). Glad you are unscathed! :cake:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

So glad you got thru safely Karen. The eye was 200 miles from is but we had a huge storm surge at high tide here. Higher than last year's The creek behind my house got almost the bank and the other side flooded some. But it did nt come over the bank. Downtown Charleston and some of the barrier islands were pretty badly flooded, but nothing like Florida and the carribian islands. Lost power for about 6 hours yesterday. And cable and Internet are still down. Which is why if I have a lot of typos or words that are autocorrected, it's because I'm doing this on my iPad. If that's the worst I have to deal with I feel blessed. Debby, hope you don't find a mess in Alabama.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Good to hear from you too, Carole! :dance: Those storm surges do a great deal of damage...it's not just water that floods into the houses! :doh: :gurn: Also I'd hate to find an alligator in my kitchen!! :shock: :shock:

Lets hope that the 'Floozy' has done her worst and passed on! :D :D