Help in using Fusible interfacing on back of projects

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

chicksmama

Help in using Fusible interfacing on back of projects

Post by chicksmama »

Hi,
I have a pattern that calls for using fusible interfacing on back of my project, has anyone done this? It sounds kind of scary to me? It says to center and apply the piece of fusible interfacing to the back of the needlework according to the manufacturer's instruction, then fold back the sides of the needlework fabric at the edge of stitching and press. Use fusible web to fuse flaps to the back of the needlework. Fold the bottom of the needlework fabric to the back at the stitching edge and press. The top is to be folded back so I can put a hanger thru it. Then I'm to use fusible web to affix a piece of wool felt to the back of the piece.
Does anyone have a better way to do this without using fusible interfacing and fusible web or does it work really well doing this?
Thanks,
chicksmama
DisneyStitcher

Re: Help in using Fusible interfacing on back of projects

Post by DisneyStitcher »

The fusible web will work, but you'll need to be careful what kind you buy - some are permanent and some will wash away if they get wet. Wonder Under is a popular brand. It looks like they mean for you to use double sided. To use that, you first iron it to the back of your project, keeping the paper backing on the side facing your iron - if you don't you'll have enough of a sticky, icky mess on your iron that you'll consider tossing it and buying a new one. After the interfacing is affixed to the back properly, you then peel off the paper and (I guess) start ironing VERY carefully so that your iron only touches the folded over edge and not the raw interfacing. (The final piece of wool looks as if it's there to cover the rest of the interfacing and to cover the folded edges.) Fusible interfacing comes in multiple weights (thicknesses) with varying amounts of strength. Did the instructions give you any sort of guideline or parameters? Interfacing "melts" into the nooks and crannies of the fabric weave, holding two fabrics together. I don't think it would show through to the front of your work, and it would have the added bonus of holding any loose threads on the back in place. If that sends you screaming into the night and if you think it would work, I'd look for a spool of Stitch Witchery or something similar. Stitch Witchery is a spool of interfacing that is less than an 1 inch wide that people use to do quick hems and seams that don't need to be especially strong. It's double sided and permanent and it wouldn't cover the entire back of your project. If you wanted to cover your folded edges on the back, you could still use strips of Stitch Witchery to attach the backing and not have any interfacing ironed into your work. If you can't find Stitch Witchery, just do a search for fusible hem tape and see what comes up in your area.

Depending on what your design allows, could you just sew the edges over?

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it turns out!
chicksmama

Post by chicksmama »

Thank you. I like the sounds of the stitch witchery much better. It does scare me to do the fusible interfacing. I've worked to hard and long on this project to mess it up at the last moment. I will let you know what I decide to do.
Thanks for answering and giving me an alternative solution.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've used Vilene on the back of small pieces, mostly to stabilise them, and it has worked well. Textile artists I know use all sorts of wonderful stuff -- Bondaweb and such -- as a matter of course, and it's very helpful. Used as designed, you shouldn't have a problem.