How would you assemble this?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

CuriousKitty

How would you assemble this?

Post by CuriousKitty »

Okay so EverythingCrossStitch has a sale going on right now this week for "Cultures & Countries" patterns. I noticed a trend when it sorted by popularity, and after some searching, I found the whole calendar. I really want to get them (that whopping $91.80 before shipping). Now here's the awkward part, all of them are not the same width and height. However, the tallest is max 200h, and the widest is 160w. Multiple patterns are around 160w, and multiple are 200h, so they are *mostly* consistent in size. Or they might be 197h, etc. Or 120w. How would you assemble this?

Should I try to stitch them individually and make it like a book? Should I try to make it like a blanket, and assemble max 160w, 200h rectangles? Frame them all individually? Or any other unique ideas?

Edit: OMG this French Filigree also in my Wish List is 31.4 inches high and wide! I just took my tape measure to get an idea and omg. It's GINORMOUS. 28ct linen over 2, so I suppose if I stitched it on 36 over 2, I can shave off maybe what, 5 inches? Yikes! I think I'll save this for way down the road.
wendywombat

Re: How would you assemble this?

Post by wendywombat »

I've almost finished assembling a 'Rag Book' (see my topic http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =4&t=30163" target="_blank )

This is made up of 14 different almost square and and slightly different size samples of work made by the members of a Craft Group. I shall post up a picture as soon as I've got it all done.

I made a cover and on each 'page' using a plain fabric I put the samplers on using small buttons at each corner. This will be given to one of the members who is leaving the group and returning to the UK.

I think as your stitched pieces are slightly different in size and if stitched onto one piece of fabric you may just find the Whole Shebang rather overwhelming, both in the creation and where to put it when finished. Making a 'Sampler' Book may be your answer.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Wendy's idea of a Sampler Book sounds just the thing, unless you want them all permanently displayed. If you do go with the Sampler Book you could do what they do in churches here with the Books of Remembrance, and display the book open, turning the page according to a schedule (in the case of month-related pages, that should be easy:-) )
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Fabulous designs, a good idea of Wendy's to make a book out of them.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I like Wendy's idea. You could also stitch them on one piece of fabric as a really big wallhanging, but that would take a lot of careful planning and I think I'd rather do Wendy's idea instead. You could also do them individually and frame them and use them as a cluster arrangement on a wall. That's probably what I would do if I had the wall space.

CuriousKitty wrote: Edit: OMG this French Filigree also in my Wish List is 31.4 inches high and wide! I just took my tape measure to get an idea and omg. It's GINORMOUS. 28ct linen over 2, so I suppose if I stitched it on 36 over 2, I can shave off maybe what, 5 inches? Yikes! I think I'll save this for way down the road.
Can it be stitched over-1? If you stitch it on 32-count over one, it would be about 14 inches high and wide assuming it can be done over-1. I didn't look at it.

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I like Wendy's idea of a Sampler Book very much. I used to make a lot of themed afghans, some of which you can see in My Gallery, for family mostly. The Charles Croft Alphabet Afghan fabric is very large with a big center and squares around the side, but even though it at first looks like you can't stitch the edges of the squares, they really are stitchable so larger designs can be used. Before starting though it is important to decide and map out on a graph paper or something similar what design will go where. The ones I have are great for coving up furniture which has been clawed, but could be wall hangings and also make great afghans. Having said all that, a Sampler Book seems a lot easier, but it really depends on what you are looking for.
I love those designs and can't wait to see what you do with them.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I think I like the book idea too! This probably won't be happening anytime soon though. But I like to dream. They have the sale through this week, so I can wait until the next paychecks go through.
Allyn wrote: Can it be stitched over-1? If you stitch it on 32-count over one, it would be about 14 inches high and wide assuming it can be done over-1. I didn't look at it.
No wonder! I just looked at it again and it's a HAED! I actually have never stitched on linen before, but after acquiring my first section from a thrift store, I love how it feels! Unfortunately my piece is a Lugana 25ct, so it's only 14x18", much too small for this Filigree on 28.

I thought you were required to stitch at least over 2 on linen because of the weave would let the thread slip under? Again, I don't know anything about linen.

DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I love Mike Vickery! I'm partial to quilts. Take the dimensions of your largest design and add 8" (4" all the way around.). Stitch all the rest of the pieces on the same size fabric. That way, you can do straight blocks, with or without sashing and borders. Also, if you decide you want to do offset blocks or a mishmash of sizes, you can always cut off the excess fabric later. Can't wait to see the progress on this one!
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

DisneyStitcher wrote:I love Mike Vickery! I'm partial to quilts. Take the dimensions of your largest design and add 8" (4" all the way around.). Stitch all the rest of the pieces on the same size fabric. That way, you can do straight blocks, with or without sashing and borders. Also, if you decide you want to do offset blocks or a mishmash of sizes, you can always cut off the excess fabric later. Can't wait to see the progress on this one!
Oh this is definitely at least a year down the road. I told myself I'd work on that dang Fire Kitty after I finish this afghan.

Honestly, if I'm keeping this afghan, I'm not sure it'll be "finished" until I get pregnant. Which may or may not be predicating a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Oh, another question. If I restart Fire Cat on say, a 32ct black linen, does anyone have experience with these different linens and if so, a preference or an opinion? I picked black fabric so I could skip the several hundreds of stitches in black. The calculator, gives me only an inch difference between 35 and 32, so I figure I might as well buy 32ct linen for my own eyeball's sake (27x27" with a 2" border around stitched area)

So there's the Zweigart Black Belfast http://www.123stitch.com/item/Zweigart- ... /3609-720X" target="_blank" target="_blank
and
Wichelt Linen: http://www.everythingcrossstitch.com/wi ... 17947.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank
And Wichelt Belfast Linen: http://www.everythingcrossstitch.com/wi ... 27616.aspx" target="_blank" target="_blank
What's the difference between regular and Belfast Wichelt? Regular has Black Chocolate and Chalkboard Black, and Belfast has a regular Black available.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Not about the design but about the threads mentioned - as far as I know Vicki Clayton silk floss is no longer available and hasn't been for some years.

There is a lady called Vikki Clayton on Etsy who may or may not be the same person (her shop has the same name, Hand Dyed Fibers, so presumably in spite of the different spelling she is the same) but she doesn't do floss as far as I can tell, just yarns and ribbons etc. It's a shame because both her floss and her premium floss (slightly thicker) were gorgeous - I've got some left which I greatly enjoy using and I'll be sad when it runs out.

Anyway, do check that you can find a good substitute. As it's an abstract/geometric design fortunately you'll have much more freedom to use different threads!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page