Hang onto your Hats Texas!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

wendywombat

Hang onto your Hats Texas!!

Post by wendywombat »

:shock: :tizzy: I hope that the State of Texas gets through this latest hurricane without loss of life and without too much damage to the infra structure.

Hope that no one here has friends or relations there.
rcperryls

Re: Hang onto your Hats Texas!!

Post by rcperryls »

I agree completely. This is a monstrous storm! The worst part being that it is going to be stuck in the same general area for several days dumping a ridiculous amount of rain on these poor people. Up to 40 inches in some areas and they don't seem to be very sure what path it will take next. Hoping that it stays away from the rest of the Gulf Coast and that all of our members who are on or near the coast stay safe.

thoughts and prayers to all who are in this storm's path.

Carole
:pray:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Having been in gales of 65mph and 85mph, my utter sympathies are with Texas over the next few days. This is indeed a monstrous storm.
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Stay safe everyone...

All the best,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I sure hope everyone is safe and it stays that way and that the cat 4 moves quickly offshore again. Sending love and prayers to all in its path.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

They showed the size of the storm from space, so very massive. They also sent all the babies in hospital to another one out of harms way. Stay safe everyone, thinking of you all.
Linda
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Just been watching some coverage of the Storm!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :tizzy: :tizzy:

The amount of rain which fell, and is still falling is beyond belief!! Damage to property and livelihoods will take time and plenty of $'s to fix.

Nature's wrath can be so awful at times.
:pray:
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

It's shocking, my thoughts and prayers for everyone caught up in this dreadful storm.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Am I remembering correctly that Houston already suffered from flood-related problems prior to Harvey's arrival? All the photos I've seen are totally appalling -- there are some very brave souls out there -- not just in the emergency services, but everyday folk, too, helping their neighbours.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Serinde wrote:Am I remembering correctly that Houston already suffered from flood-related problems prior to Harvey's arrival?
I'm pretty sure you are right. I have lived through a cat 4 but it was a fast mover and the wind and the tidal surge were frightening but there was very little rain. And the #%&# thing has moved back over the ocean a bit so the pounding keeps continuing. The daughter of a very close friend lives there and as of yesterday morning she was safe, even still had power. Haven't heard from my friend yet, but so much can happen in 24 hours with this thing. Thoughts and prayers to all.

Carole
:tantrum:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

My heart goes out to all of the people who are being battered by this awful storm system and I pray that it will soon fizzle out and move on!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

mauveme

Post by mauveme »

karen4bells wrote:My heart goes out to all of the people who are being battered by this awful storm system and I pray that it will soon fizzle out and move on!!
Amen to that. This seems as bad as Katrina was, I think the only difference is that they don't have levees to break.
Linda
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

mauveme wrote:
karen4bells wrote:My heart goes out to all of the people who are being battered by this awful storm system and I pray that it will soon fizzle out and move on!!
Amen to that. This seems as bad as Katrina was, I think the only difference is that they don't have levees to break.
Well, New Orleans is getting plenty of water, too, from Harvey; but I would take this opportunity to point out that Katrina didn't "hit" New Orleans. Katrina missed New Orleans and "hit" places like Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pass Christian in Mississippi. That got very little press attention so hundreds of thousands of people had to recover in anonymity. What happened in New Orleans was a slow-motion train-wreck that started the next day, *after* Katrina.

WIP
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Allyn wrote:
mauveme wrote:
Well, New Orleans is getting plenty of water, too, from Harvey; but I would take this opportunity to point out that Katrina didn't "hit" New Orleans. Katrina missed New Orleans and "hit" places like Gulfport, Biloxi, and Pass Christian in Mississippi. That got very little press attention so hundreds of thousands of people had to recover in anonymity. What happened in New Orleans was a slow-motion train-wreck that started the next day, *after* Katrina.
Katrina slamming into Mississippi was well reported on the BBC, if I remember correctly, although New Orleans later took up most of the coverage, as you say.
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Hope things get better out there as it looks so awful. Cannot imagine how people get their homes & contents sorted out. A lot must be floating away. The floods in UK the other year were bad enough but this is horrendous. Been watching Nat Geographic programme about Violent Earth, it is amazing what scientists find out about this molten planet of ours as it speeds billions of miles an hour through space.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers