Total eclipse

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

Total eclipse

Post by rcperryls »

An amazing experience! We were at the last point in the US and though cloudy it cleared up enough to be able to watch the whole thing. :sun: :sun: had the glasses and several neighbors and I watched it together. Looks like the thunderstorms waited for the total eclipse to be over. If you get a chance to see one, don't waste it. Get the glasses early. I waited too long and was lucky that my neighbor 's daughter got some at work. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Squirrel

Re: Total eclipse

Post by Squirrel »

It must be quite eerie to have no sun in the daytime. So glad you were able to watch it. Jenny's manager and her hubby are over there to watch it. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

I didn't have glasses, so I enjoyed it from my patio, watching it get darker (but not dark) and cooler, and then brighter and warmer.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

It is so eerie when it happens. There was one in the UK in 1999 I think, here in Kent we didn't get totality, but a significant proportion was eclipsed. I found the cold and the total absence of wind unexpected. The roosting of the birds was strange too.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I didn't have the glasses so ended up watching the majority of it on television which I really enjoyed seeing!! Loved seeing how the horizon looked especially in the mountain ranges that they showed. Shortly after the peak eclipse here(about 85% totality) I went for my normal afternoon walk--in the 90+ degree temps and did notice there was an extremely strange amount of increased activity in one of the bird species--Swallows--they were darting around like crazy--must have been 20 or more of them zipping at breakneck speed near the local elementary school!! In all of the time that we have lived there and all of the different times of day that I have walked that same exact route, I have NEVER seen anywhere near that activity nor at near ground level like they were. At one short moment, there wer 6 of them perched on the power line in the same area--quite an entertaining yet strange event to see!!! Loads and loads of dragonflies in the same area as well--far more than what I normally see!!!
:wub: :wub: :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I saw the eclipse in France in 1999. We had just bought our little house here. Didn't have special glasses but we set up a large bowl of water on the ground and watched the reflection. So strange, all the birds went quiet and the darkness was quite eerie.

What I thought amazing about yesterdays eclipse was that it went west to east! :shock:
TGchrissie

Post by TGchrissie »

So jealous - would loved to have experienced with you lucky lot. :D :D
fccs

Post by fccs »

This is my favorite eclipse picture. This is one of my granddogs - my son took the picture of the eclipse projected onto her coat.

Last edited by fccs on Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Wow!! That's incredible!! :whoop: 8)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Great photo!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

fccs wrote:This is my favorite eclipse picture. This is one of my granddads - my son took the picture of the eclipse projected onto her coat.

Omg if that's an Eskie, I might have to dog-nap!

Up here in Seattle we had 92% coverage (100% best done in Oregon). I had some pretty awesome pictures though, even without the filter.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I am enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with the eclipse, not seen a total eclipse down under but hopefully one day it will happen.

What a fabulous picture of the dog Debbie.

My DD boss hugely enjoyed her experience and no doubt when they get home again in early October we will hear all about it.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
fccs

Post by fccs »

CuriousKitty wrote:
Omg if that's an Eskie, I might have to dog-nap!
Nope, not as Eskie. She's a Samoyed - they have three. This one is about six months old - they just got her.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

I took photos of the one in 1999 here in the UK. I followed the advice given in Practical Photography magazine and got some good shots. I took pictures of a moon's eclipse some years earlier which also came out very well, we were in a pub at the time and as I kept going out past the DJ he asked my wife if I had a bladder problem!!
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
fccs

Post by fccs »

frankattleborough wrote:I took photos of the one in 1999 here in the UK. I followed the advice given in Practical Photography magazine and got some good shots. I took pictures of a moon's eclipse some years earlier which also came out very well, we were in a pub at the time and as I kept going out past the DJ he asked my wife if I had a bladder problem!!
@rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Great pictures of eclipse on dog fur. We saw 1999 one as we were down in London on a tour of historical buildings & coach driver knew a place to park safely. Somewhere in Surrey where Magna Carta was signed. We were underwhelmed at the small plaque marking this historical event. Think something larger has been placed there in recent years. Believe the Queen unveiled a bigger monument.

There was not full darkness but eerie a real strangeness, very dark grey, extremely quiet, no birds moving or chirping they had gone to roost in the trees, We saw the corona which we found awesome. Had sunglasses so were OK. Can understand why in years gone by ancient tribes thought it an omen of things to come.

Went on to Windsor afterwards, that was lovely :) Saw Hampton Court the day before. Wonderful tapestries & so very large. & the garden & deer park were awesome too.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers