Holes or threads

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Holes or threads

Post by poppy »

As I am getting used to stitching on finer fabrics ( 28 count and 32 count Lugana), I wonder if you see the "holes" or are guided by counting 2 threads? I tend to just see the holes but think that when I will attempt stitching on 32 count, getting used to see the treads would be helpful.
How do you "see" your fabric?
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Holes or threads

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

When I teach workshops I tell students to find out which comes more naturally to them, counting holes or counting threads - it does vary from person to person. When doing Hardanger or other counted work I will often go by the number of holes skipped rather than the number of fabric threads crossed, but often I mix and match and count in whichever way appeals to me at the time :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That is a really interesting question. My initial thought was that I count holes, but actually I think I count threads, though since I have been gridding my fabric for HAEDs mostly, I count by squares, which must mean I'm counting threads. My guess is depending on the fabric and the design I probably do both, though mostly by threads.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Working at 28ct 2 over 1 tent stitch, I count holes or stitches - they are the same.

On the only occasion I stitched 2 over 2 on 32 ct, full cross, I got in a terrible muddle until I gridded, and the it was only really cured when I did parking.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

I usually work on Aida, so when I'm counting 10 out at a time, I count the holes. I bought my first piece of evenweave today, and I know I've asked this before, but it's just something that doesn't stick in my mind.

But then I get very confused. So for instance, I'm looking at my "new" 25 count Lugana. It came with a folder that says, "Blah Blah requires stitching over two threads. You are really stitching over a block of 4 squares. Go up two squares and over two squares."

But where I trip myself up is that since I count holes, I just read "2 threads, 4 squares" but I'm counting 3 holes. So in my head, that's a 3x3 stitch for a full cross. So when I relate that here, is my 3x3 stitch a 2 over 2? 2 threads up and 2 threads over?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

"over 2" means it crosses two threads. You come up in hole one, cross thread one, skip hole two, cross thread two, go down hole three. Hope that makes sesne!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
sina28

Post by sina28 »

That's an interesting question! I usually stitch on 28-36 ct linen "over two". I think that I count the threads.
Sina
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I'm not sure how to describe what I count. When I'm working over two, I count the holes above where the horizontal thread is on top and to the left where the vertical thread is on top.
Like this:
Which is the correct hole to hold the lower left leg of the stitch. So I don't count every hole when working over two. I 'see' that particular hole and count them; so in that example, I'm counting the dotted holes. I don't know how to describe it. Once my eye 'sees' it, I can't unsee it while working in that fabric.
If I'm working over-one, I count holes.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

When I'm stitching over two, I count threads. When I stitch over one, I count holes.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends