How do you organise your blends?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

BizzieLizzie

How do you organise your blends?

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I seem to recall there was a thread on this topic ages ago but I couldn't find it. :?

I have my blends for Cat in a Window on a hole punched card but find that they wear very quickly with the friction between the thread and the cardboard as I put them on and take them off. Do any of you lovely peeps have suggestions for a better way?
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

DisneyStitcher

Re: How do you organise your blends?

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I keep a needle threaded for each symbol on the chart. I know that would drive a lot of folks crazy, but maybe you could number your blends and just keep a row of needles in numerical order for the blends so you're not constantly working them against the thread card. Good Luck! Let us know what solutions you find.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I have a Pako needle minder/organiser. I find threaded needles with the blends popped into that works well.

I used to use a magnet strip on a card...think it was made by Lon-Ro? and that worked too. It's still lurking at the bottom of somewhere I think! :roll:

I'm sure that something like that could be a DIY job :idea:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I use a card with punched holes, just as you do.
I tend not to get a great deal of wear from the edges of the hole, mostly I think because I cross country until the colour is finished on the page or the thread pair is finished. That way any thread pair only goes on the punched card once or twice. I also cut the floss so it's 4x the length of the skein (18" or so) so it isn't too long.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I put my solids on bobbins and so for me it was just natural to do the same with blends. I mark the blend bobbin with its symbol and the two colors that are used in it. Both colors get wrapped onto the bobbin and I treat it just like a solid except I pull a single strand from each color. When the bobbin is empty I go back to the solid color bobbins and restock the blend bobbin. A bit fussy, but it works for me for now.
-Steve

BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Of course! Bobbins!! How on earth did that not occur to me? :doh: I have now marked up some bobbins with the relevant symbols and am in the process of putting my blends on them. Thanks for the tips. :applesauce:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest