Glass or no glass?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Glass or no glass?

Post by poppy »

Do you always use glass as well as a frame to display your work?
The glass keeps it clean but sometimes it looks better without... :thinks:
I am thinking of my Sampler, which has lots of metallic threads. Once finished, it might be better displayed without any glass. What do you think, please?
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Re: Glass or no glass?

Post by richardandtracy »

Glass.
Pets = dust = needs glass.

Regards

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
fccs

Post by fccs »

All of mine are under glass. If I don't double mat or double frame them, I use spacers to keep the glass off the stitching (and beads, where applicable).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

All of mine are under glass too, it keeps them much cleaner and if one can afford the non reflective glass you wouldn't even know there was glass. I always try to put any stitched pictures out of direct sunlight too. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

SE Queensland = paper wasps who love to build their wet mud nests in corners and framed needlework is so enticing.All of my pieces are glassed.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'm going to sound a different note :-) None of my custom-framed pieces have glass. I like the immediacy of seeing the embroidery without anything intervening - and occasionally to touch it, especially when it has 3D elements in it (like woven picots, or goldwork). None of us smokes, and all the pieces are out of reach of pets. If the occasional cat hair lands on a project, tweezers will get it off (or more usually just fingers). A light flick with a very soft duster does the rest.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

It varies. For larger projects I have had my pieces professionally framed and have had glass that preserves the piece (I think that is what it is called)used. These are for special gifts. For pieces that I have framed myself, sometimes I've used the glass that comes with the frame. A few times I haven't. I know that doesn't help a lot, but for me it is a decision that has to be made for each project.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Like Mabel, some of mine do, and some don't. I no longer have an open coal fire and no pets. But even when we did, it's easier to take the thing apart and clean (after years of the duster flicking treatment). I don't have little moths that somehow always get behind the glass, either (can't remember what they are called, but they are a disaster -- they feast on any natural fibre, and are particularly bad with carpets.)
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you all, yours views are helpful. I will frame the sampler myself. I will be able to see how it looks with and without glass and let you know.
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:I like the immediacy of seeing the embroidery without anything intervening - and occasionally to touch it, especially when it has 3D elements in it (like woven picots, or goldwork). None of us smokes, and all the pieces are out of reach of pets. If the occasional cat hair lands on a project, tweezers will get it off (or more usually just fingers). A light flick with a very soft duster does the rest.
Mabel, I admire you! :applesauce: Personally I'm more cynical and always use glass, specifically the protective type that prevents (or slows) fading etc. Having said that, I don't do the lovely 3D embroidery that Mabel does so I don't feel that my stitching warrants touching. And anyway, if I'm gonna spend five years of my life stitching something, I want it protected forever. Maybe I'm overprotective. :lol:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

BizzieLizzie wrote:if I'm gonna spend five years of my life stitching something, I want it protected forever. Maybe I'm overprotective. :lol:
That may be the reason for our different views - I have never spent five years stitching a project (unless it spent four and a half years in a drawer...) :lol:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I always use glass, ,my apt is on a busy road and the dust is horrendous, therefore glass.
Linda
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Interesting range of views. However, consider museums.
Oh bad choice really, they have both methods.
And a big restoration budget.

I give up. Having 4 cats and a relaxed attitude to housework, glass is very necessary for us.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
lorie

Post by lorie »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:I like the immediacy of seeing the embroidery without anything intervening - and occasionally to touch it, especially when it has 3D elements in it (like woven picots, or goldwork)
Same here. Also it does look a lot better without the glass. It's like you took the word out of my mouth :)
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:
BizzieLizzie wrote:if I'm gonna spend five years of my life stitching something, I want it protected forever. Maybe I'm overprotective. :lol:
That may be the reason for our different views - I have never spent five years stitching a project (unless it spent four and a half years in a drawer...) :lol:
Oh boy. My Fire Cat might spend ten years in the drawer half-started at this rate.

I mix it. Most goes behind whatever glass comes with the frame, but if it's specially done, and that includes picking the glass, then I pick a museum glass. Like the wedding sampler I did for my cousin Sara a few years ago. I have a large open-framed piece from my grandmother that has no glass that she stitched around 26 years ago (it has 91 stitched on it, so I'm assuming that's when she finished it). I might have it re-framed at some point. There's a mark on the matting that's very obvious =/
sina28

Post by sina28 »

I think it looks best without glass, but as we do have a cat and an open fire type oven, the bare stitching would get too dirty. Glass can be cleaned much more easily.
Sina
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

All mine have glass. It helps to keep them clean.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

To glass or not to glass is a very individual decision. In my situation, I wouldn't leave anything hanging on the walls uncovered that can't be washed. I put mine under non-reflective glass (also called museum glass). It is not the same as no-glare glass. No-glare glass (also non-glare or anti-glare) is actually acid-etched to create a light frosting so it mutes the colors and reduces the amount of light that goes through it. Non-reflective glass has a coating on it to reduce reflections and actually increases the light transmission so the colors look brighter. It is absolutely transparent; you can even take a flash picture pointed right at the glass and not have glare. It is also much more expensive than 'regular' glass and not all places that do framing have it.

WIP
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

I always use glass. Stops dust eating into the threads & fabrics.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers