Kreinik v Balger nos

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DisneyStitcher

Kreinik v Balger nos

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Off the top of their head, does anyone know if the old Balger numbers for blending filaments correspond to the Kreinik numbers today? Usually if I want to add some sparkle, I just pull a metallic that I like, but I have some old Mar-Bek Angel patterns and some list as many as 8-10 metallics, all given as the old Balger nos. I've been all over the Kreinik site, but I can't find a conversion chart and they don't seem to have a working FAQ link. They look the same, I think - but for these patterns, I think the wrong color would make a big difference in it's appearance once it's done. Thanks in advance!
Serinde

Re: Kreinik v Balger nos

Post by Serinde »

I've always thought the numbers were the same. In any case, here's a potentially useful list: https://www.threadneedlestreet.com/kreinik.htm" target="_blank
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Thanks Serinde, I really appreciate the list! I'm just a little concerned because of the vintage color line. The Kreinik site had the vintage designations as well. I'm wondering if maybe the vintage colors are the original Balger colors? I would think they have to be different shades to need the "vintage" designation? I don't have a local shop that carries the line, only a JoAnn whose selection is limited to gold, silver, and iridescent. I was hoping someone knew before I ordered anything online. They're not that expensive, I guess I'll just order both the regular and vintage color and see if I can make a guess based on the cover art and the cotton thread colors.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Update for anyone who cares. I called Kreinik, the numbers all remained the same. The vintage designation refers to the colors looking "antique-ish" rather than them being old numbers/colors. I guess I should stop posting in the middle of the night and wait to answer my own questions during regular business hours. :oops:
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

The numbers wouild be the same because Kreinik is Balger,due to Au ver a Soie not being diligent with their US copyright-at least that was what I was told by someone in the trade.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"