What's the best stitchy purchase you've ever made?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

What's the best stitchy purchase you've ever made?

Post by Nicola Main »

I have two and I couldn't imagine stitching without them. The first are my two boxes of the 447 DMC threads I received for my birthday two years ago. It was from a website called Leisurecraft Tewkesbury and I saw them in a World of Cross Stitching magazine and just knew I would love them. It meant instead of buying kits all the time I could start projects in magazines and charts as well :dance:

My second is a more recent purchase I made after seeing them on Mabel's Fancies website. I was needing a new pair of scissors so decided to treat myself and they are the best scissors ever! I love the colour, the size, the little flower pattern, the sharpness of them and the fact they have a little cover for safety. First rate and highly recommend them! ;)

So what's your best stitchy purchase and why?
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Re: What's the best stitchy purchase you've ever made?

Post by richardandtracy »

May 2000 'PCPlus' magazine.
Sounds odd, I know, but bear with me.

I had no idea then about stitching, but the cover CD included a copy of the Borland C++ Builder compiler, which enabled me to write computer programs. I used the compiler until June last year, by which time I had written my own chart conversion program in the period 2011 to 2016. That magazine must rate as my best ever stitchy purchase, even if it seems a bit off the wall.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

My 5" LED Floor / Table Mag Light by Daylight. Without it I would never be able to stitch on fabrics with a count higher than 18 I'm sure and I love the 25 and 28 counts for my big HAEDs and 32 ct linens for Lizzie Kates and others which are over 2. Also Hardanger projects would be more difficult. I'm actually on my second one because I broke the neck of the first one. Can't imagine getting along without it now!

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

Mine is probably the same as Carole's, the mag/light. I bought it four years ago and love it still. (The neck on mine is not broken, yet, thanks to some duct tape surgery.). I think a runner up might be a clip-on mag/light that I can attach to Snaps or hoops when traveling. I have lots of tools and frames and stands, but w/o the magnifiers and lights, I wouldn't be able to use them as often.

I think third place winners would be my computer and iPad (they tied for third) because without them, I would not have met all the great people here who inspire and teach and share.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Ooh, that's a tricky one. Am I allowed two? I think I would have to say my Lowery floorstand and Daylight mag/lamp as without them there's no way I could stitch two handed on 28 count. Of course, I couldn't do without ANY of my stitchy stuff but I'm guessing it would be cheating to say 'all of it'. :D
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

It's got a long name on amazon -- LIGHT IT by Fulcrum 20072-401 12 LED Wireless Magnifier Adjustable Floor Lamp with Adaptor -- but basically it's an LED floor lamp/magnifier with an adjustable arm for positioning. I couldn't live without it, now! My mother came over & loved it so much that she bought one, and same with a good friend of mine who also stitches.

Other than that, every stash delivery is my favorite stash delivery. :D
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

My first computer, it put me in touch with the world of cross stitching, and all the incredible charts and supplies available. Broadened my horizons on what I was capable of doing, and , of course, this group.
Linda
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oooh, that's a difficult one. For quality, ease of use and just downright desirability I'd say my Millenium frame and lap stand - but in terms of what I use most it's my collection of fabrics and threads!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Mine was buying the first two DMC thread storage boxes (now I have 8 -by 7 main colours of threads plus one working box) which forever solved the problem of organizing threads.
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Oooh, that's a difficult one. For quality, ease of use and just downright desirability I'd say my Millenium frame and lap stand - but in terms of what I use most it's my collection of fabrics and threads!
Exactly mine too. Worth the wait and the money... :dance: :dance:

That and my Purelite 4-in-1 Crafters Magnifying Lamp too means I can stitch for longer. :whoop:
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

My best Stitchy buy was my first cross stitch magazine. I proved to myself that being left handed was not a hinderence to stitching.I now have a hobby I love and I have met all you wonderful people who encourage and enable.
:mexicanwave:
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

Mine would be my new magnifying lamp which magnifies 5 times and make things so much easier. Second would be the 2 metres of 32 ct. linen I found at an op shop and cost me $A1
poppy

Post by poppy »

Mine would be my Q-Snap frame and my magnifying lamp too :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
kevona

Post by kevona »

My magnifying lamp
Donna

Pull up a chair and grab a :tea:
http://kevonacrafts.blogspot.co.uk" target="_blank