Photobucket and 3rd Party Image Hosting?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DisneyStitcher

Photobucket and 3rd Party Image Hosting?

Post by DisneyStitcher »

The internet is losing it's mind over Photobucket's new policy regarding "3rd Party Image Hosting." What the heck is that? Will it affect our ability to post pictures within this forum? Is there a way to post pictures directly from our phones/tablets/computers without using Photobucket or a similar service? I'm so dumb I have trouble using photo bucket anyway. :oops: :tizzy:
richardandtracy

Re: Photobucket and 3rd Party Image Hosting?

Post by richardandtracy »

I think it is where PB provide the photo so it can be used in a forum thread.
So, yes, we will be affected.
And most of us will no-longer have a need for PB, and so will not need to put up with their adverts.

How do we get around it?
Put the photo in the gallery here, and link to it in the gallery. Edited to add: I've just put up an explanation of how to do it in the 'How to show a photo' pinned thread.

Regards,

Richard.
Last edited by richardandtracy on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I started using Photobucket many years ago but then switched to Flickr as I found the image quality was better.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I hate Photobucket lately, the ads are ridiculous and it takes forever for the page to load because of them. I too wish we could just post from our computer. Been thinking of finding another host too. Can you load pics here from Flickr?
Linda
richardandtracy

Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

mauveme wrote:Can you load pics here from Flickr?
Yes you can Linda here's how I do it. It seems fiddly but it's not when you get the hang of it.

Here's how I get the jpg code for a photo I've uploaded. When a photo is uploaded to your Photostream click on it and then look for the symbol with an arrow pointing down on the right hand side. It should read 'Download this photo' when you hover over it with your mouse, then click it and it will come up with different sizes and at the bottom it will say 'View all sizes'. Click on the 'View all sizes' part. It will then have a variety of sizes (I usually use Medium 640 or Medium 800 any smaller and you won't see detail and any larger and it will travel across the forum and widen the page too much). Click on whichever you'd like and then right click the image. Then click on 'View Image Info' and a box will pop up. In the middle where it says Location you will find the jpg link. Copy and paste that into the forum using the Insert Image code (the little box with the mountain in it).
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Thanks Richard and Nicola Main. Will probably try Flickr.
Linda
richardandtracy

My PB account now seems to have been affected. Time to leave them.

Regards

Richard.
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Richard, I've just seen your explanation in the pinned thread about linking to images in the gallery and will try it next time I do an update. Thanks very much for posting that, it looks really useful. :applesauce:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

richardandtracy

I just hope CSF won't get overloaded with images.

Regards

Richard.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've been using bad language (within reason) at PB for some time now, and now apparently people can't see my pictures anyway if I post them on the Forum so I may as well delete the whole account and be done with it.

After some research I'm trying PostImage, which has a beautifully uncluttered interface, and you don't even need to register if you just want to share the odd picture.

It may not have quite so many options as other services, but I think that might actually be an advantage. Their FAQs are clear and helpful, and there don't seem to be any hidden pitfalls.

I've registered, and have created various albums (with as yet very little in them). This was easy to do, and there appears to be no limit either to the number of albums or the number of images.

They do ask that you use links which when clicked take the clicker back to their site, which is fair enough. It is possible to choose direct links and show the images without links back to the PostImage site, but if you do that to often they say "we reserve the right to contact you and discuss possible ways to satisfy your needs while allowing our project to make ends meet". As I say, I quite understand that and will use their thumbnail option from now on.

By the way, if you do register, you can change your username and password but to do so you have to click on your email address at the top of the page - there is no button helpfully marked "Account".

I've only used it very briefly but so far I'm impressed!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

richardandtracy wrote:I just hope CSF won't get overloaded with images.

Regards

Richard.
THat is something that we asked Alex about. Haven't heard back from him regarding that but I'm sure we will. Until then I'm going to switch to Flickr or maybe try the site Mabel suggested. Using thumbnails shouldn't be a problem if clicking on a picture doesn't make you trudge through a bunch of ads and other obstacles to see the full sized ones. I was bowled over when I saw that PB is charging $400 a year to allow 3rd party hosting. :tantrum:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

Well, this is how I spent Saturday afternoon! :tantrum:
First, I tried to post photos on the gallery and they uploaded sideways. I could not figure out how to turn them around :oops:
Secondly, I tried Flickr and got stuck at the stage "View Image info", just could not find it.
Next, I tried Mabel's suggestion with PostImage and that worked for me :whoop: :whoop:

Thank you Richard, Nicola and Mabel for finding a solution for a non-tech person like me!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Well apparently I have a Flickr account, got it 4 yrs ago, forgot all about it and have no pics on there yet, but going to rectify that today then will get rid of the PB account that is really annoying with all the damn adds.
Linda
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/351 ... 3d_z_d.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank
doing a test of downloading from Flickr\\
Edit:
Ok, I just clicked on the link up above and it downloaded the picture into my 'download" files in my computer, is that what it normally does?
Linda
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I just used PostImage for the first time and it was easy! And from my iPad too! :D It couldn't access the photos already on my iPad (because of privacy settings) so I used the 'take photo' function, copied the 'thumbnail for forums' thingy and it worked. Of course, this will only work for posting things I can take a photo of there and then, but that's fine because I'll only be using it for stitching.

Thanks Mabel for the research. :applesauce: I will use PostImage from now on. :D
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I have just used PostImage and it is really good and easy to use. Thanks for telling us about it Mabel. I tried Flickr but just couldn't figure out how to post an thumbnail image onto the forum only the link to Flickr.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

vanessanjf wrote:I have just used PostImage and it is really good and easy to use. Thanks for telling us about it Mabel.
I didn't even try Flickr. So far this is sooooo easy, but then again I've only tried one photo and one gallery so far. In the meantime, yes Mabel, thank you!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
mags

Post by mags »

mauveme wrote:https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4325/351 ... 3d_z_d.jpg" target="_blank" target="_blank
doing a test of downloading from Flickr\\
Edit:
Ok, I just clicked on the link up above and it downloaded the picture into my 'download" files in my computer, is that what it normally does?
Linda, did you select the BBcode - right click, copy and paste ?
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
stan736

Test for Post-Image

Post by stan736 »

Try out post image.Image