Your longest piece

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Anna114

Your longest piece

Post by Anna114 »

I've been working on a Disney alphabet since May 2015. It has tons of color changes. Each letter takes about a month to complete. It's taking so long that I've had to work on other pieces because the color change makes me crazy I have 6 letters to go so I'm hoping it will be completed by the end of the year. What was/is the longest length of time to complete a piece?

Anna

Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat. Joanne Woodward
Allyn

Re: Your longest piece

Post by Allyn »

It's hard to compare when you have a piece in a rotation unless you deduct the time spent on the other projects. The longest I've spent on a project was about 18 months as I recall, working on it exclusively. It was 344 x 250 stitches and only 78 colors, all but about a dozen were blends, and had color changes of as few as 10 in the 10x10 block and as many as 43.

WIP
Anna114

Post by Anna114 »

Holy moly that is some piece. I just got a Cinderella piece that is like that one. Everything is covered in stitches. It's kind of intimidating though.

Anna

Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat. Joanne Woodward
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have two pretty big ones that I've finished & took a while. There was my first cross stitch project ever, a kit, and it took from 12 Jan to midnight 31 Dec 2011. Relatively few colours at 29, but slightly under 60,000 stitches at 14ct:

Then there is the slightly shorter 28ct 'Honeymoon Portrait' of my wife that took me 9 months to do. Only 44060 stitches, but there were a maximum of 43 colours in a 10x10 square, averaging 9. No blends in this one as I'd not developed my charting program to that point at the time. There are 118 colours.

My current two (Gryff & Luz) both use blended threads and after starting them last year I hope to get them finished in 2020 or maybe 2021. The chart images for those two are:
and
Both images are around the 100,000 stitch mark, but with 156 and 133 thread colours blending to form 114 and 116 blends respectively they are a bit slower to do than un-blended images. Gryff peaks at 35 colours in a 10x10 square, and Luz at only 30.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Richard, your projects never cease to amaze me and I take my hat off to you (yes, I do have hats and even wear them occasionally). I love seeing them, I admire them like crazy, and I am soooo glad I'm not stitching them myself :lol:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I agree with Mabel's every word about your works, Richard. They are incredible. I always look forward to seeing your updates.

Happy stitching!
Lyudmila
richardandtracy

Thank you both, but all pales into insignificance when you look at Vanessa's 'Adoration of the Kings'. That one piece is as much as most of us can do in a lifetime.

Regards,

Richard.
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Mine was only 6 months, Pleasant Row Cottages, the longest for me by not by others standards. It amazes just how large some members stitch.

I have plans to do a larger one, 24x17 inches in the future. Will not start that until next year & it will probably take me 9 months plus. I have a few other things to do first.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Anna114

Post by Anna114 »

Wow. What incredible pieces, Richard. How many hours a day do you stitch? I think I average 14 hours a week. I will go a couple of days of not stitching then NASCAR comes on and I sit there stitching for the entire race :)

Anna

richardandtracy

I suppose an hour or so a night generally, but unfortunately in the last couple of months, things have been difficult and the last time I actually stitched was June 16th. I am going to tomorrow's 'Knit & Natter' at our local library, and with luck I'll get a hundred or so stitches done then. With things as they are, I suspect the knit & natter will be my best chance to keep things moving along, however slowly.

Regards,

Richard