If you could only take one..

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

dknit

If you could only take one..

Post by dknit »

If you could only take one cross stitch project with you (ie: your house was on fire or you were deserted on an island somewhere), what would you take and why? Also, which piece do you most want to be remembered for doing or pass down to your family? Hopefully there will be a lot of interesting answers and this post will keep going for a while.
BizzieLizzie

Re: If you could only take one..

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Good question! I would take Cat in a Window because it's the one I'm working on at the moment, it's for my Mum and it has sentimental value.

The one I'd like to be remembered for is Adobe White. It's framed and up on the wall at my parents' house. It was my first HAED BAP finish and gets a lot of compliments from people seeing it for the first time - they often think it's a painting until Mum tells them I stitched it, then they peer very closely and are astonished at how tiny the stitches are (it's 1 over 1 on 28 count). I'm pretty proud of that. :D
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

If I could only take one, and be remembered for one, it'd be the same project! I'd take my Alphabet Vintage Flower afghan, and I'd want it to be wrapped around every baby in my family for generations! Hopefully, "taking one project with you" means I have enough time to get my tacklebox of thread. :lol:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

The one I am most apt to want to take with me if I had only one to take would be Lavender and Lace Moon Angel---but there is another that I would be devastated to lose--It's a Ross Originals Lion that I stitched over 12 years ago--on 28ct linen 1 over one--I stitched it for hubby and it is hanging in our bedroom!! It was a pain to do as I stitched it on a beige/ off white linen and it has tons of shades of browns/tans/etc. Well worth it though!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I would take the one I'm working on now, my golden kite the adoration of the kings because it has taken me so long already and I would be so upset if I never finished it. I would like to be remembered by this one too once it's finished because it's the biggest one I've ever attempted or likely to attempt. But I would be devastated if I lost any of my work. It all means a lot to me.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Sorry,there's no way I could decide so I'd "go down with the ship" so to speak.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

That's tricky I would be very upset to lose any of them, if I was forced to choose I'd take Treasure Hunt Bookshelf I've done so much work on it, it's riddled with confetti that has taken hours to stitch, but I love it!
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

There is only one possibility for me, that fits both parts of the question.
'Honeymoon Portrait'
There are a couple of reasons for this
  1. It's of my wife & we're very fond of each other.
  2. I wish to continue living, and not rescuing the picture could be very detrimental to my health.
  3. When passed on to my descendants, it is a good likeness of my wife & I want them to know what their grandmother/great grandmother used to look like.
Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I couldn't begin to think which I would take. I've given many afghans as gifts, so most of my family have one. If it were today, I'd grab the recently framed pieces which have yet to be given. For unfinished pieces, I'd say Dancing with the Cat. But ask me tomorrow and my answer could be totally different!

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

As far as completed works, I would probably take the USAF Academy Chapel (my kid were married there). And if I could take just one WIP - I don't know - probably the one I was currently working on.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Whatever I could pick up quickest! I love my embroideries but living to stitch another day would be my first priority :-)

If I really really had to pick one it would be one I haven't even started stitching yet - the Tree of Life I'm putting the finishing touches to at the moment (finishing design touches I mean).

When I first started the design, in my mind it got linked to a verse from Revelation, "and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations". This is part of the description of the new Jerusalem, and it gained extra relevance and emotional importance to me when my mother, in her last months, found great comfort in that description, especially the idea of the River of Life along which the tree grows. We used a verse from the description (though not the one above) on her mourning card.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

I'd have to take Pleasant Row Cottages with me as it would evoke times of friendship, camaraderie & support throughout the 6 months of stitching it took to complete it. Also it is the largest I have ever done.

Would like to grab my kingfisher long stitch too as he is so bright & colourful & one I really love. S I would like to think & could grab one in each hand as I rushed out the door.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

If I had to choose one to be remembered by it would have to be myRags to Riches one I did for my granddaughter.The one I would take would have to be Poppy Fairy by Joan Elloit.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Hmmmm If I could grab only one, honestly, I'd probably grab my stash of threads and fabric. There aren't any projects in the house that I'm so attached to that would break my heart to lose. I doubt anything I've done will be passed down to anyone. There only are two projects that I gave as gifts that are cherished by the recipients, one was a Scottish castle that I stitched for my mom decades ago, and the other was a wedding sampler for my father-in-law when he got married. They were both 'cry' moments, especially my new mother-in-law. She was so touched by it because no one had ever done something like that for her before. There's no one for them to get passed down to except to come back to me or my husband.

WIP
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I would grab my current project on my Needleneeds frame and stand.

I can always replace stash...but I'd hate to lose my frame etc.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

There is so much to choose from but after thinking about it the one project I love the most is the one hanging over my TV, the Street scene I did in 2009. I love looking at it and wonder what the inside of the 5 stores would look like and who would be living above them.
Linda
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

This would be one time when not having anything completely finished would be an advantage. I would grab the box of finished but unframed stuff and run. :D
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday