Chat thread

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

Chat thread

Post by Nicola Main »

Created this thread for us all to post what we're up to, even non stitchy stuff if you want!

I have work this morning but I plan on restarting one of my projects this afternoon. Have not done any stitching for a long time! I'm annoyed as I think I've lost a little booklet I got free in Cross Stitch Crazy which had 301 cross stitch techniques in it. Will have to have a proper hunt for it! Hope you all have a great day whatever you're doing :) xxx
Last edited by Nicola Main on Tue May 16, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
richardandtracy

Re: Chat thread

Post by richardandtracy »

When not stitching at home, I'm having 'fun' building a folding bed for our new van to turn it into a basic motorhome.

We have a Mercedes Vito 'Taxi' version. I have removed many of the seats to take the 8 seater to 4 seats, designed fittings so a pair of cupboards can use the redundant seat fittings, that way I don't need to modify the vehicle or tell the insurer, because it'll be treated as cargo (insurance of self-converted motorhomes is fiendishly expensive, so we don't want to go there - the insurer assumes you are incompetent even if it can be demonstrated that you are not.). The bed will go behind the last row of seats. If we were to buy a 'Motorhome' bed we'd have to buy one for a VW Transporter at around £1000, and get one with a step in the bed (or pay £200 extra for a stepped pad), and still have to modify it a fair bit to fit in a Vito. Instead, we got a wooden framed 'Futon' sofa for £160, and with £91 for steel I am making a frame that will support the timber slats and also support an easily folding bed. This will bolt to the cargo anchorages in the back. Unfortunately my welding is awful, so I had to get the little amount of welding I need done at work. I've made the pivot bolts on my lathe from hexagonal steel bar (6 minutes each for 12 pivots), and now I'm in the process of making the fixed legs, folding legs and braces so it will unfold over the top of the folded rear vehicle seats. If nothing else interferes, another 2 weekends should be enough to finish the bed.

The Vito feels really small after our previous high roof, medium wheelbase Mercedes Sprinter. Unfortunately that van, at 19 years old this August, is rusting away and won't get through the annual safety check this July. I converted that van in the year 2001, cutting holes for the windows, fitting a seat-belted bench seat in the back, cupboards, bed, table, stove & home made, manually operated pump for the sink etc . We have paid through the nose to the insurers since then for daring to have exactly what we want, instead of buying ready made what we are offered. Makes me so annoyed; You are expected to have either a motorhome or a van. We want a vehicle that can be a van (for building materials), motorhome, picnic vehicle, moped rescue truck, transport when moving home. Basically a general, all purpose vehicle. What the insurers want, nay, demand, is a single purpose vehicle, one for each job.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Good idea to do this Nicola. I have often wondered about this as other forums have daily chat on them. My knitting one does & good in winter when weather's bad you can get on laptop & chat. I don't like Twitter or Facebook.

So sorry you lost that little booklet you wanted Nicola. so aggravating when that happens. Do hope you find it.

Good luck with the work you are doing Richard. Quite a challenge but you will have the satisfaction at the end of knowing how much work you have done on it.

I have just been to local shops, had a coffee & put shopping away. I am going to add favourites at a time to this new laptop. Managed to note them down before other one packed up.

Going to sew Aida on frame tonight & hopefully do a few stitches to DMC Otter project. Last night & previous 2 nights been sorting out threads. They were in 2 bundles with shade numbers & amount of strands on printed list plus 2 cards with holes to put them on. Once obvious ones were sorted the others posed a problem as some were very much alike, Went through my own stash for threads & luckily most I had to check them against. 3 were left but in the end got them into what I think at the right shade numbers. One slightly browner than other 2 another slightly greyer , & that left light mauve grey sort.

Meeting a friend this afternoon as DH out all day.

Enjoy rest of the day everyone.
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

That sounds like a lot of work Richard! Good luck with it!

Hope you had a good afternoon with your friend, Izzi! There's nothing I like better than sitting sorting out threads and doing number and colour shaded cards :) Takes time but it's worth it!

Hunted high and low for my booklet but can't find it anywhere. I've found it on Ebay so may get it off of there. I stitched some more of the Mallard design I'm doing but was sick fed up of all the browns so started on the yellow webbed foot instead. Little by little I will get there! Take care all xxx
Work in Progress
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Good morning everyone! How are you today? I have work this afternoon so nothing much planned. Have a good day all xxx
Work in Progress
kingfisher68(2)

Hi, just tided up & am going to sort out clothes that don't fit any more as charity bag collection Friday. Leaves more room in wardrobe & I can buy clothes that do fit :lol:

Hope you get that booklet from EBay.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Been very naughty and ordered another Wrendale Designs cross stitch! I couldn't help it though as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it! I was torn between the Red Squirrel and the Hedgehog but went for the squizzel! Hoggy hedgehog will have to wait! :D
Work in Progress
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

So upset....dealing with a busted air conditioner and getting multiple opinions/quotes. Going to cost thousands of dollars that we can't spare. :tantrum: :doh:
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Sorry about the A/C, that is always a bad deal. Having had to do it myself, please check into the cost of replacing/upgrading the system vs. just repairing it. If you have an aging system, the cost of refrigerant is likely sky high b/c the federal regulations have changed. Also with aging systems, once a major component goes, it seems like that triggers an avalanche of massive repair bills. When we had to do it, the new system was about $800 more than the repair, but as the refrigerant was costing $200 a pop to "recharge" it or whatever the heck it was they did and it was likely going to need recharging at least every other summer.... We had to take out a small loan but it was worth it (I think) to not have to worry about big repair bills all the time. Of course, I live in the Deep South and our high temps coupled with high humidity really gives our systems a work out. You could also consider window units until you get enough cash saved up. We lost power for about 2 weeks in the aftermath of extensive flooding last summer, we put one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen and kept oscillating fans going with the gennie - you'd be surprised at how comfortable you can keep the house doing that. It's also our SOP for when we lose power after hurricanes. The window units are about $100 each and you can get fans at Walmart dirt cheap. Plus - you don't have to listen to a generator as you haven't actually lost power. Good luck! Don't forget to check your state agencies and make sure the company you are using is in good standing and has all the necessary licenses.
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

DisneyStitcher wrote:Sorry about the A/C, that is always a bad deal. Having had to do it myself, please check into the cost of replacing/upgrading the system vs. just repairing it. If you have an aging system, the cost of refrigerant is likely sky high b/c the federal regulations have changed. Also with aging systems, once a major component goes, it seems like that triggers an avalanche of massive repair bills. When we had to do it, the new system was about $800 more than the repair, but as the refrigerant was costing $200 a pop to "recharge" it or whatever the heck it was they did and it was likely going to need recharging at least every other summer.... We had to take out a small loan but it was worth it (I think) to not have to worry about big repair bills all the time. Of course, I live in the Deep South and our high temps coupled with high humidity really gives our systems a work out. You could also consider window units until you get enough cash saved up. We lost power for about 2 weeks in the aftermath of extensive flooding last summer, we put one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen and kept oscillating fans going with the gennie - you'd be surprised at how comfortable you can keep the house doing that. It's also our SOP for when we lose power after hurricanes. The window units are about $100 each and you can get fans at Walmart dirt cheap. Plus - you don't have to listen to a generator as you haven't actually lost power. Good luck! Don't forget to check your state agencies and make sure the company you are using is in good standing and has all the necessary licenses.
Don't know if it's relevant, but when I lived in Colorado, we had a swamp cooler. Took getting used to, but I think it's considered to be a good cost effective solution? And if you get a ceiling fan, at least you can pick a pretty one!
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Awww no Dawn so sorry to hear that I hope you get things sorted! It's sunny but breezy today here in my little patch of Scotland. Been getting plant lists sorted for the weekend. My friend, Andy, sells plants at car boot sales and I go up every other weekend when I'm not working to help him. Have a few people from my work getting them and also family. He's lucky he has me getting all these orders for him ;) :lol:
Work in Progress
fiddler

Post by fiddler »

Hi Everyone.
This is a great idea. This morning I am going with my husband to the hospital for appointment. When we get back I am going to try and book train tickets from Hull to Leeds, tried yesterday but got more and more confused about prices some were £20 difference. I am booking the train ticket to Leeds Bradford airport for my trip to Belfast in 3weeks time. It is a long time since I have been on my own we usually drive and get the ferry but hubby cannot go this time. I am going to my nephews wedding v excited. Hope you all have a good day.
Annx
kingfisher68(2)

Hi, look forward to seeing the kits Nicola. It is a job to know which to buy first isn't .t? Hope you get the plants you want You should get a discount having get the plant man new customers :lol: always good to get them form someone you know as some places charge too much. We have a small nursery near us & were recommended to go there by a neighbour We were surprised at how good their prices are.

I do feel for those of you who have heat & humidity problems. I know one of my friends in Queensland said sometimes air conditioning is going all night & still no respite for the heat. Must be awful.

Had to go out first thing & am now waiting for someone to come & see about the problems we have in our home. the council don't always send someone for a while. We have reported complaints before.Windows need attention & damp patch to be done sometime or other but not heard for a few months. So we have another person coming, making 3 people in total, to see to defects & put in yet another report. The flats are only 3 storeys high & there's a communal lawn area plus clothes dryer so we can sit outside in summer. This whole section of Council flats is 3 blocks of 6 flats, each with their own space outside. We all get on which is good & some work but it is nice to sit & have a natter in the summer. We have a few pots of shrubs outside but not allowed to have a flower bed.

Have an enjoyable rest of the day.
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Don't know if it's relevant, but when I lived in Colorado, we had a swamp cooler. Took getting used to, but I think it's considered to be a good cost effective solution? And if you get a ceiling fan, at least you can pick a pretty one!
Ive not heard of a swamp cooler? Maybe we call it something else here? Is it similar to a heat pump? I know many folks up north use heat pumps for AC in the summer, but the problem with those is that you really can't get the house any cooler than 15-20 degrees or so than the outside temperature, and supposedly they work worse in high humidity. When your average high temperature is 98 in the summer and you often hit triple digits all with at least 80% humidity (and it's not raining folks - that's just the regular ole' drinkable air down here) heat pumps just don't cut it. We all laugh hysterically at the home improvement shows where they never seem to put in ceiling fans. Every room in my house has ceiling fans except for the bathrooms. Just so you know, I'd put them in the bathroom if the ceilings were wide enough to handle them...... :lol:
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Opinions please! Which colour aida should I stitch my Wrendale Designs projects on? I'm using the light oatmeal for the Mallard. I only use Charles Craft as they come in a roll and I detest trying to get creases out of aida!

Last edited by Nicola Main on Thu May 18, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work in Progress
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Nicola, I would choose either A or B and likely B for the contrast. Any of them would work though
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I always prefer Antique white to plain white, it is softer and most colours stand out well on it. I am sure you will make the right choice. :)
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kingfisher68(2)

I like plain white but seeing normal white & antique white I agree with what Squirrel says, antique white is a softer colour. Wish I had known that before as my stash has fair bit of ordinary white but I will store that nugget of information away for future reference. :)
Izzi

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

For whatever it's worth, I usually opt for Antique White or even an ecru over regular white, except for most of my HAEDs because the color of the fabric is pretty much irrelevant. Any of those three would look good but I'd probably end up with the Antique.

Carole
http://www.crossstitchforum.com/posting ... =4&t=30099#" target="_blank
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Thanks everyone! I think I may go for the Antique White or the Oatmeal again xxx
Work in Progress