Chat thread

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Re: Chat thread

Post by richardandtracy »

Serinde wrote:Sure, I can see that, but forgive me if I say that's short-term thinking. How long do you think internet prices will stay low when there's no real-world competition?
Serinde, just seen your reply.
For me, either a project gets done at a price I feel I can pay, or it goes undone. I don't for one moment believe that the internet will stop competition. At the moment it is frequently quicker & easier to buy from the US than the UK. If the prices in the UK go up to a point where they are more expensive too to add on the worse service & poor delivery times, well, guess where I'll be buying from. My local shop is no longer just competing with the one down the road, it is competing with anyone I can find. If the 'added value' provided by the shop is worth the price differential, I'll buy, otherwise I won't. A 4x price differential is an impossible differential to give that level of added value, and the shop needs to realise it & do something about else it's their investment and their jobs on the line. It has happened in manufacturing, I can see it'll happen in selling. The best, most efficient & those with the best added value will survive.

OK, now onto what I wanted to write about.
I have a very, very stupid cat. He's already had a car accident while crossing the road 4ft from our house. After 18 months, he has decided to try crossing it again. So, this morning and afternoon I've been putting up Pea netting on the edges of our garage roof to try to dissuade him from jumping down into the road. Unfortunately we can't stop him getting up onto the roof as it would involve modifying a neighbour's building...

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Good luck with the cat problem Richard.Mogggies are very perverse creatures.They just can't accept the fact that cats and roads are not a good mix.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

Just found this thread again and even though it's been dead for a year, it looks like a good place to vent.
First tho, as to needlework shops, the one good one left around me is more than an hour away in the bay area. I've been there exactly twice. On my current budget I can't even afford the gas to get there so that's the first problem. When I did go, I could only afford the clearance stuff. I've gotten a gift card for my birthday but by the time I pay for gas I'll have maybe $20 to spend, and who knows if they'll have anything I really want to make the trip worth it. I've been wanting to go for years, if only for the feeling I got just being there. When my boyfriend/future hubby reaches a few more of his goals and makes the tons of $$ he's promising, hopefully I can use it as one of my escapes from the madness, but until then the internet is my only hope.

Anyway, as we're planning on our future, we finally went looking at houses together last weekend. It was so much fun and overwhelming at the same time. lol He took me looking at homes way over the budget he first told me about, suddenly throwing at me that he could be getting a huge design contract. That was a huge surprise, and now I don't know what to think.
Yesterday I started stressing even more about the kid situation. He has an almost 11 year old boy, which is going to be hard enough for me having never wanted kiddos. But then there are his friends and cousins who will be around sometimes. What's really freaking me out now is that one of his older kids just knocked up his gf, and bf has started calling me grandma and future great grandma. I'm only going to be 44 tomorrow!!!!! I'm so not ready for this.
WHat makes it even harder is the medical stuff/mental health state I deal with and how hard it is to even get help with that. So yeah, I'm freaking out.

Thanks for reading/listening. Needed to talk to my people. :wink:
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

Awww I feel for you Dawn such big steps to think about! Vent all you want! I got supervisor at my work (have been a general assistant there for nearly ten years) and my first shift is tomorrow and have kind of been thrown in at the deep end. One of the other supervisors is coming along later at night to show me how to clean Costa coffee machine and lock up and other things I haven't been shown but I get quite bad anxiety and I'm scared I have a panic attack and there's only me and one other person on. Absolutely crapping myself. I know once I get into the swing of it I'll be OK but it's still nerve wracking! Been stitching most of today to try and not think about it.
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Dawn do hope you can get your head round everything & start relaxing. Perhaps a bit of R&R in Stash & Grab will help you unwind as it seems to help others :D So hard for you with all what's happening & glad you put it on here as sometimes writing it down helps ease your stress levels. Hope things do turn out well for you.

Nicola, never would have guessed you get stressed out as you appear to be so capable & confident. In the weeks I've been looking you have done so many lovely projects. And what a fillip for you to be asked to do the secret stitcher things! If you can cope with all that you can cope with being made supervisor. Congrats on upgrade. Sorry that makes you sound like a PC!! :roll: Couple of weeks in you'll wonder what you worried about. Good luck - there's sure to be a :rainbow: in the end & lots of :sun: for your future too so :thumbsup: (could not find a horse shoe - hope thumbs up will do instead :) )
Polly :)
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I'll be ok, we just have to laugh about it. Bf will take good care of me and I'll make sure to stake out a stitchy area to escape to. Maybe behind a door with a good lock on it. lol :D
Dawn
Italian Vista
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@Dawn, you'll be fine. My mother was a (surprised) granny at 40 :shock: (she was not best pleased, either, I can tell you!), so count yourself lucky! Everyone grows into these roles in time, and you will find your own, too. Of course, be reminded that the Stash & Grab has a special "crockery room" where old china can be flung at the wall and is magically tidied up after you have left. :D

@Nicola, you listen to our fuchsiafairy, who is speaking very wisely. Everything's scary at the start. When I was in that position, my dread was that somehow the alarm would magically go off in the middle of the night and I'd get the blame. Never happened, of course!
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Wow & Oh Lordy Serinde . you even have a room where members can smash crockery in the S&G. Mightily impressed with these wonderful additions to the forum. Thank goodness I joined - would have missed out knowing all this if I'd not :lol:

As you have so much there at S&G guess there's even a powerful telescope for stargazing on winter nights - with drinks & snacks to hand of course :lol:
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

Omg I DREAM/FANTASIZE about throwing dishes at a wall!!! LMAO I love you guys!

Thx for the empathy and encouragement too!
Dawn
Italian Vista
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

fccs

Post by fccs »

dawn0621 wrote:Omg I DREAM/FANTASIZE about throwing dishes at a wall!!!
There was a Greek restaurant here that had a special room where they'd give customers plates to throw. It was awesome!
Nicola Main wrote:I get quite bad anxiety and I'm scared I have a panic attack and there's only me and one other person on. Absolutely crapping myself. I know once I get into the swing of it I'll be OK but it's still nerve wracking! Been stitching most of today to try and not think about it.
And that's why a lot of us stitch. It gets us through rough times, scary times, crapping ourselves times. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Way back when I was bad in school I had two roommates also back in school. We all agreed that plate smashing was the best release for dealing with issues you really couldn't change. We went to the Salvation Army store and bought a bunch of old dishes and had a rule that if you really had to do some smashing the bathroom was the place and you didn't have to do the cleaning up afterward. Knowing it was available we hardly ever used it. Something that a bunch of student social workers (all planning on being psychiatric social workers) would think of. Much better to do this in the Stash & Grab where magic cleaning prevails!!!! and much much better to cross stitch so that something beautiful is created.

Carole
:roll:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

fuchsiafairy wrote:Wow & Oh Lordy Serinde . you even have a room where members can smash crockery in the S&G. Mightily impressed with these wonderful additions to the forum. Thank goodness I joined - would have missed out knowing all this if I'd not :lol:

As you have so much there at S&G guess there's even a powerful telescope for stargazing on winter nights - with drinks & snacks to hand of course :lol:
Well, naturally we have a the best amateur telescope available. And the Stash & Grab is also in a ‘dark skies’ area, so you hardly need it, in truth. However, we can’t guarantee every night to be clear enough for stargazing... Britain is what it is, weather wise. Luckily, the S&G is always open, even on rainy nights.

Did I tell you about the ball pool? Oh, and there’s a snooker (or pool, if you prefer) table available upstairs.
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

Just read this Serinde. Even more additions to the S&G. Obviously like the cosmos it has no sides so everything & anything can be included. What a truly wondrous place to go to when you need to take time out or to hook up with friends. Wonderful what the imagination can do :)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Slightly sad chat - my FIL died this morning. He was 95 and until recently (last month) still pottered in the garden, walked into the village for the newspaper and sent emails on behalf of the local history society. We are all glad it was quick and peaceful, but it's still sad for my husband, his mother and sisters - and I will miss him too.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: :hug: My most sincere condolences to you and your husband and family. Sounds your FIL had a good life and will be sorely missed. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Slightly sad chat - my FIL died this morning. He was 95 and until recently (last month) still pottered in the garden, walked into the village for the newspaper and sent emails on behalf of the local history society. We are all glad it was quick and peaceful, but it's still sad for my husband, his mother and sisters - and I will miss him too.

Aww, sending big hugs
Dawn
Italian Vista
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

My condolences to you and your family.
Lyudmila
Sahari

Post by Sahari »

Okay, I gotta ask, what is the Stash & Grab?
And, Mabel, may your FIL RIP. Actually though, he's fine. It's those left behind that need the peace! So be it.
And Dawn, if the 11 yr. old likes you, then just show up with understanding and let your guy do the heavy lifting (his son, after all). If the 11 yr. old doesn't like you, then go with God. In fact, go with God anyway.
And after my cross stitch disaster, I am eyeballing diamond painting (gasp!).
The sewage line behind our apt. bldg. broke yesterday and tho it rained all night, it still smells today.
We aren't allowed to have plants outside our apt. doorways, but I have some out there anyway (Plant Power! and Fight The Man!).
Why are there borders in the first place? I'm so tired of so-called authority bossing everyone around. I think we'd do just fine working it out ourselves, community by community.
Also, money is stupid. It just causes us to have to assign value to everything (this is better than that, this isn't good enough). I think we should all do what we love, and give it to each other.
I grew up with everyone thinking I was rich (long story). Now I have being poor down to an art form. And honestly? I like my poor self much better.
My favorite saying: Wherever you go, there you are.
OH, and we found some nifty dryer sheets that hunters use to NEUTRALIZE odors because when I use the laundrymat dryers, we can't bear sleeping on the sheets or wearing our clothes for a couple days due to the scented dryer sheet residue from everyone else (we don't use dryer sheets, well, the scented kind).
And the Long Island Medium really IS getting a divorce from her husband. Oh the humanity.
Sorry to break the land speed record with this rant.
@rotfl:
Did any of you watch The Detectorists?
'Night.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

First, Mabel I'm so sorry for your loss. Fathers-in-law can often be very special people (mine certainly was), but he was clearly loved and lived a long and good life to the end. Bless him.

Sahari. Holy Moly! Well, the Stash & Grab is our forum's virtual pub. This is where we celebrate... anything at all anytime of year for any one. You can order anything in the food and drink lines that is legal somewhere in the world there, and nothing will leave you drunk, incapable or fat. it is cool in summer and cosy in the winter, with French doors out to the gardens, loch and tree house. Also revolving doors leading to St Cross Stitchers -- no one in the forum should be left out, after all.
fuchsiafairy

Post by fuchsiafairy »

I am so very sorry to hear about your FIL Mabel, he sounded a wonderful man. Condolences to you & all the family. There is always a huge gap in the lives of those left behind & I hope your God & everyone's prayers will help heal the heartache for you all. It is time like these we feel the need to pray more & it helps a lot :hug: :hug:

Sahari, hope the peace & quiet in S&G will help you overcomes your troubles. Some tranquility usually does help when you have your favourite drink & take in the scenery of that wonderful place.