How do you organize yourself to make time to stitch?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

How do you organize yourself to make time to stitch?

Post by poppy »

How do you organize yourself to make time to stitch? I often leave it until the evening but often I am too tired to stitch :roll:
You might have a few tips... :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
DisneyStitcher

Re: How do you organize yourself to make time to stitch?

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I keep everything I need for a project in a gallon zip lock. First thing I do is make a copy of the pattern I'm stitching and a copy of the legend. (So I can write all over it and color in my progress). I assign each symbol on the legend a number (usually, I just start at 1 for the first symbol of the column and go straight down numerically. Then I pull the threads from the lists - if it's a kit, I compare the provided thread to my DMC sample book to make sure they are the same so that if I need more, I can replace it. After doing that, I cut a piece of poster board and punch 3/8 or 1/2 inch holes about 1/2 inch in from the edges (enough to accommodate however many colors are required.). I load the thread into the holes, writing the color number directly on top of the hole. Then I go back and put any symbols associated with that color on top of the number. This helps me tremendously when I have a lot of tweeding. I can't stand parking, so I tend to use a different needle for each symbol. I keep spare piece of Aida and keep the needles lined up on it in numerical order. Between tweeding and backstitching, I usually have quite a few more needles that actual thread colors. I stitch by symbol proximity, so if I finish a symbol with thread still on the needle, it goes back into the line up to be used later when some more of that symbol crops up in the pattern. I also keep all the other supplies I'm using for the project - hoop, scissors, thimble, needle grabber, pencil, needle minder/magnet, and magnifying readers - in the zip lock. I usually have 2 bags, one is the one I'm working on and the second is a "quick and dirty one" that can be done in places where space and the ability to concentrated are both limited. There is obviously a duplication in supplies, but as most of the notions are inexpensive, it's worth it to me to know if I grab the bag, everything I need is there.
I think of it like painting a room, the prep work is a giant PIA, but once it's done, the rest goes easy peasy.
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

I only have time to stitch in the evenings after work or sometimes on the weekend in the afternoon when DD is sleeping. I also have a travel project that goes with me if I have any time during the day to stitch. If you sometimes have time during the day, an easy travel project might be a good way to get stitching. Something maybe with only a few colours, etc. :)
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

I have to admit that I'm retired with no children at home. It's just DH and me, so time is not much of an issue. That said, I don't actually do much CCS during the daytime at home. I wait until dinner is cooking or after eating dinner. Then I sit in my "nest" and stitch in front of the TV. I purchased a good OTT light, so no real lighting issues. I find that once I pick it up, it's very hard to find a good stopping place even though it gets very late.

My best advice is to force yourself in the evening to take just a few stitches. If you have a small goal in mind and give yourself permission, to stop at any point thereafter, you may find, as I do, that you continue stitching for quite a while.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
Ajay

Post by Ajay »

I have to wait till my DD goes to bed at 8 pm, she usually screws around till 10(i want water the 100 trips to the bathroom) so depending on her behavior depends how much I get done, as I have a strict lights out on work nights at 10 pm policy, whatever project is talking to me is in the spot next to my bed in my room, as my husband has a strict only one project in the bedroom at once policy. I generally just need to pick it up figure out where I left off, usually marked with a highlighter. If it's a chart on my tablet I mark circle the last stitch before i go to bed for easy pickup.

For me it's all about how quick I can get right into it. On my days off, I'll probably sit for 4 hours just stitching.
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you for taking the time to answer, you all have been really helpful.

DisneyStitcher, thank you for describing how you work and for the photo ( I like the flower hole puncher :) ) I thought the needle organizer, on which you stitched the numbers was brilliant but did not understand the meaning of the numbers. I do now!
It does make sense and will make stitching easier. You are super organized :D

tiffstitch, the travel bag is another good idea. I have lots of small kits from magazines to stitch. They would make a good travel project.
DahliaDoll wrote:My best advice is to force yourself in the evening to take just a few stitches. If you have a small goal in mind and give yourself permission, to stop at any point thereafter, you may find, as I do, that you continue stitching for quite a while.
I think that you hit the nail on the head. I certainly start that.
Ajay wrote:I have to wait till my DD goes to bed at 8 pm, she usually screws around till 10(i want water the 100 trips to the bathroom)
That brings back memories!!!! :D
Ajay wrote: On my days off, I'll probably sit for 4 hours just stitching.
It sounds like real bliss. Mind you, you need it with work, a husband and a little one :D
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

If the TV is on and I'm in the living room, then there is a high probability that I am stitching. Possibly an hour a day, though last night with the Eurovision stuff, I got a bit more than an hour done before I couldn't cope any more with the europap songs being broadcast and had to go somewhere else to calm down. Lordi - please come back!

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Nicola Main

Post by Nicola Main »

I've not done any cross stitching for a few weeks (I must remedy that!). I work afternoons usually so I could (and should) do an hour or so's stitching in the mornings and evenings but time just runs away with you! I have a couple of biggish projects on the go and need to restart them. I usually like to stitch with the TV on in the background. Rather than being 'distracting' I find it helps me concentrate more and I just wouldn't like to have complete silence xxx
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'