Organizing active needles a little better

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DisneyStitcher

Organizing active needles a little better

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Hey Everybody!,

So, I am an odd bird in that I have always had a needle for every symbol on the chart, no matter how big my project. For a VERY long time, I have always just lined them up on a spare piece of Aida and marked each 10 with a big headed pin to make counting easier. Then I would pull the needle number I needed based on what I had assigned to the chart symbols. Many times I'd have a lot of empty needles acting as place holders until I got into the meaty parts of the pattern. Here's a picture from the project I just finished. It was a smallish project - only 17 colors, but I'm sure you can imagine what a 75+ color project looked like.

I'm getting ready to start a bigger project that will probably have 100 needles or so going by the time I account for the tweeding and backstitching. I decided I'd try to make it a little easier on myself and try to eliminate the frogging required when I miscount and use the wrong, but similar, color. I took a piece of 28ct and put a border on it and then stitched myself some numbers that the needle can park under while not in use. By having the slots numbered I don't have to line up 100 needles before I start. If there is thread left on the needle when I get to my end point, I park it in the appropriate slot - otherwise, I can just load it with the next color and get on with my business. Here's a picture of what I did, and I loaded the needles from my last project on it just to see how it would work. Image

Things I learned doing this:
1.) I LOATH gridding.
2.) MCG really does produce terrible fabric.
3.) I can't believe I haven't thought of this before in the 30 years or so that I've been stitching.

What do y'all think?
Stitchinkitty

Re: Organizing active needles a little better

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I think it's an absolutely brilliant idea.Not that I would have the patience to set it up.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
fccs

Post by fccs »

Brilliant!!!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

You are Very organised!! If it works for you that's great :applesauce:

I was given a Pako needle minder and I tried that method for a while....but then I kept forgetting to re-thread my needles so that they were always ready to use...slowed me up so now I'm back to one needle. :lol:

I still use it when there are blends though and it's great for that. :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That is a great idea!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
agi

Post by agi »

Very smart! I admire your organizational skills. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Hmm.
I have one needle on the go.
And a floss card with all the bits that will be stuck in the eyes of your needles.

Horses for courses, I think.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

How wonderful your needle minder is, and what patience to embroider the numbers on it too. I use a Paco needle holder and it neatish and helps me keep track of needles - especially threaded ones - to make sure I haven't dropped any where the dogs can get it.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

Very creative and organized of you. Keep us updated and how you're like it as I just might want to give it a try at some point.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/