How do I tackle this piece......

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ajay

How do I tackle this piece......

Post by Ajay »

So none of my WIP are talking to me, I sat and forced myself to do a couple of stitches on a couple of them, but found no relaxing feeling I usually get.
But

I recently bought the HEAD chart and kit to So many books so little time by Spangler It's a piece that just screamed "buy me now wench", then when I clicked away it kept yelling at me most urgently for 2 weeks, so I dutifully put them on layaway and recently finished paying it off and now have everything in my possession to start.

I know I have about 6 WIP but they are all silent as if wanting a new friend.

My problem dear friends is this is my first HEAD design, and my first MASSIVE design. I usally stitch using a hoop prefering it to the q snaps, im not fond of the q snaps, because of the distance from where I handle it and the piece. With a hoop I hold it at one side and use the same hand for pulling thread and sticking it in the next hole to go through. Making so I don't have to constantly flip and focus on an area. I don't think my 6-9-10 inch hoops would be most best here because of the amount of fabric I have.

Any ideas???
If anyone uses Whatsapp, pm me to connect.

WIP
Woodland Enchantress-----She's not talking to me
Frederick The Literate-----I have upset this cat somehow
Jolly Trio Stocking-----Not ready to think of the C word yet
Frosted Pumpkin MSAL 2017
rcperryls

Re: How do I tackle this piece......

Post by rcperryls »

Generally I use a hoop, though depending on the project I might use Q-snaps. For my current HAEDs I've been using my largest Morgan no slip hoop. I think it is 12 inches. Niki (Fizzbw) made my circular grime guards to fit my hoops. I use one between the hoops to protect the fabric and another one over the hoop once the fabric is in. Then I can roll the fabric up and put the excess under the guard. If its really bulky (which it can be) or difficult to stay put, I use large plastic hair clips that keep the fabric in place. For one of my projects I have the fabric on a scroll frame because it is very narrow but very long. I hope that doesn't sound too confusing. I haven't gotten any hoop marks (and I don't take my fabric out of the hoops until I move to a different project) at all.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I haven't done a HAED (yet - I've got a few stashed to start later), but when I have a large piece of fabric I still use a hoop but roll the excess fabric up and use a hair clip to hold it (one of those prong looking ones). It holds it lightly. It's still a bit cumbersome but it's not too bad. I also don't like the Q-snaps because of the distance issue. I suppose I'd get used to it but I just prefer a hoop.

I did recently just buy a lap stand that comes with 3 different hoop sizes (6", 10", 12" I think). I tried the 6 inch but it was too small to use comfortably where I stitch. I think it'll work good with the larger hoops, with the excess fabric rolled up & clipped. We'll see, anyway. I like this stand because I can flip it up and get to the underside easily, I just think it will work better with the big hoops.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
fccs

Post by fccs »

I recently started my first HAED (it's a QS, so it's not huge) and I decided to use my Millennium scroll frame. However, when I went to Alabama a couple weeks ago, I decided to take the project with me w/o the frame. I stitched it in hand, which I really enjoyed. It is back on the frame now. I usually start my pieces in the middle but this one I started in the upper left corner.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

fccs wrote:I usually start my pieces in the middle but this one I started in the upper left corner.
I forgot to mention that. I have only seen one HAED started in the middle. If I can find the thread I will post the link. Came out beautiful but finding the middle despite the fact that there really are arrows, was quite a task. I start almost all other projects either in the top left or the middle depending on the project.

Carole
:doh:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Other folks work it out with hoops or Q-Snaps. I use scroll frames and rarely do any designs that require less than 28-inch-wide fabric. I also use a stand to hold the frame since that much fabric plus the weight of the frame is more than I can manage to hold in hand. It also leaves both hands free for two-handed stitching or using a laying tool.

Also I start in the upper left corner after I find the middle of the fabric and the middle of the chart and then count up to the top and then to the left on the fabric to precisely locate the upper left corner. It's a ridiculous process of counting that I overcomplicate because I think the ritual of it makes me feel like this is the grand beginning -- like christening the boat with champagne at the launch, I'm christening the fabric with this elaborate counting ritual.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

Allyn wrote: It's a ridiculous process of counting that I overcomplicate because I think the ritual of it makes me feel like this is the grand beginning -- like christening the boat with champagne at the launch, I'm christening the fabric with this elaborate counting ritual.
:lol: :lol:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I do pretty much what Allyn does, but with a couple of exceptions.
The first being that I use a 12" x 24" frame as opposed to a 28", and I hand hold the frame with the 24" direction vertical in my left hand. Because the left scroll bar is the area I grip, I start at the top right corner of the chart (not Allyn's top left). The reason for this is that as I progress, if I go from left to right, the completed parts of the picture wrap around the left scroll bar, where I grip, and the stitches could be crushed. Instead, going from right to left, means the completed areas of picture wrap around the right scroll bar & don't get crushed.

Additionally, I take time to mark out the page boundaries to define (at the very least) the boundary of the page I'm working on with pink thread. I usually grid inside that area with red monofilament fishing line, which can be pulled out easily once the area is complete.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I use hoops for all my projects large and small, with my Haed wips I use 3 foldback clips, and fold up the excess material, if I'm putting the clips on the end I don't use anything but if I clip my fabric where I'll be stitching, I always fold a piece of kitchen roll up and put as a barrier between my clip and the fabric to stop marking or squashing it works very well.
Good Luck with finding a good way to work with your fabric I hope this helps.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow