Cross stitch for beginner

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Bella Bunny

Cross stitch for beginner

Post by Bella Bunny »

Hello, my daughter is just starting cross stitch, any suggestions for suitable kits for a 13 year old? Thank you in anticipation :D

Bella
bagpuss

Cross Stitch for the younger generation

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Bella, :idea:

There are a number of great kits you can use for the younger generation. Dimensions whimsies are a great plastic canvas kits which will give your daughter the basic knowledge to start working on aida fabrics.

Then there are the Dimensions stamped kits too, these are very simple the pictures are printed on them and as they say x marks the spot and that is actually the truth :) Stamped cross stitch kits have the patterns printed on sailcloth with certain areas marked with x's for stitching which are straight forward and easy to follow. Some of them are quite stunning too.

What other interests does your daughter have? I was just wondering if she had a favourite theme because If so, I may be able to suggest some nice kits for her to try.

Hope this helps and I hear from you soon.

Bagpuss
aka Courtney
Bella Bunny

Cross Stitch for beginner

Post by Bella Bunny »

Hello Courtney

Thank you for your reply, at least I have some idea now! My daughter is mainly into her pets (4 rabbits, 1 hamster), pop music, fashion and boys!

Bella :D
bagpuss

Just that age :o)

Post by bagpuss »

Hi Bella,

Just that age........ I've been through it already fortunately. Goodluck :)

How are you doing in your search for the right cross stitch?

I think this site needs a real boost....... looks like it could be quite successful. I like the cross stitch design. Great choice of colours, really quite soothing don't you think? and the needle is really cool! It is quite amazing how some people just have that terrific vision.

So, what do you think......How can we boost the site?

Well, time for the usual mundane chores of the day. I hope your weekend has been a good one! speak with you again soon.

Take care & say hi to your daughter. I wish her all the best with her first project.

Courtney :)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hi Bella

Cross stitch for a young teenager can be a problem - one minute they go all gooey over cuddly kittens and the next they are into Slipknot.

I agree you'd be safe hitting on a theme they like. Perhaps take them with you to choose themselves. Then you can steer them away from kits which are too difficult for beginners. But don't underestimate their ability to soak up new skills like the sponges they are.

One of my nieces wanted to do a bit of stitching (freehand -- not my forte!), so we went out and I bought her a sewing basket, needles, threads (her colour choice) and a good pair of scissors. Does she stitch now? A bit. But she's 18, a smart cookie, is a flautist, and has lots of other things to do with her time than sit and stitch. Quite Right Too.
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

I'm glad she's taken up stitching! It does wonders for kids/teenagers consentration! I actually tought my two step-sons (then age 11 and 12) to stitch, and it was amazing to see the care they put into it! then again I always make them make cards etc, when they come to see us, to send to their grandma... reluctant at first - but then loving it!

I used just simple small cross-stitch motifs from magazines for them. Of course, with them being boys, motorcycles and helicopters was a big hit - I doubt if it would be a good suggestion for a young lady! lol!
Becca

Post by Becca »

Maybe get her to choose a design that she likes the look of, i find choosing is half the fun and she's more likely to stick with it if it's something she's chosen personally.
Bella Bunny

Post by Bella Bunny »

Cross stitch has been put on the back burner, she has suddenly discovered boy friends!

The fun is just beginning :o

Bella
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Uh-oh! You're in for some troublesome years! lol! Hmmm... maybe try to convince her that stitching is better than boys? lol!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

See! Slipknot!

How about stitching FOR the boy(s)? Actually, remember that the boys are way more scared of you (and her) than you are of them! Feed boys biscuits and scones, and they will be very compliant. lol

My brother (Very Large Man, medic and former football player), father of two fab girls, had two rules when they were dating:
1. Girls to be returned at the time specified, and no later. Or Else.
2. Girls to be returned in exactly the condition in which they left the house. Or Else.

Seemed to work... :P