Finished Frog

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

isaacson72

Finished Frog

Post by isaacson72 »

I finish my jar lids every week but rarely post pictures because I hate photobucket. :) But this one... I am so relieved to have finished it. A friend wanted a jar for her mom with a frog on it. There are a zillion mistakes in this but thankfully I think I covered most of them up with on-the-spur backstitching. I don't know what my problem was with this one, I just struggled with it right from the start, for no good reason. This was 36 ct linen, stitched 2 over 2 (except the rain, that's 1 thread). I hate linen, it's too uneven and those thick bits drove me nuts. I :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: so many times on this. Maybe because it was a frog? :) So glad I'm done with this. Tonight I'll make this into a puffy jar lid, I just finished the stitching yesterday. Can't wait to start something new!

Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
DisneyStitcher

Re: Finished Frog

Post by DisneyStitcher »

That looks GREAT!! Nice finish.
poppy

Post by poppy »

Your frog is so cute! I like its expression.

You did it! You conquered linen :whoop: Nothing will stop you now...
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

poppy wrote: You did it! You conquered linen :whoop: Nothing will stop you now...
I have so much of it left, too, I can't get rid of it! I'll use it but my next project will be back on EVENweave. lol I've had enough of linen for awhile!!
Michelle

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

He looks beautifully stitched and so perky sitting there enjoying the rain. WELL DONE for sticking with it. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

I can see what you mean by struggling with a design. Once I decided to stitch a "quicky"- the cat in a hummock by Margaret Sherry.T o begin with, it torned out a "slowy" instead of a "quicky", and when at last all the backstitch was there, it looked just ugly, so was immediately binned without regret.

But yours is an absolutely different case. All the hard work was well worth it.
No mistakes can be spotted, and the frog looks really nice. Personally I love him.
Happy stitching!
Lyudmila
Lyudmila
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Well done for persisting with this Pesky :anotherfrog: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

Only you know where the mistakes are and I'm sure it will be well received! :D

Some linen is more 'slubby' than others....I know! I have a Gorilla which I foolishly started with blended threads (3 strands of each colour! :shock: :shock: :doh: ) and is going to spend the rest of my life in a drawer unfinished and un-loved! :lol:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: for how adorable he is and for how persistent you were in sticking with this one! Linen with lots of slubs is hard to stitch for me also, but I have found linen fabrics that have very few. I'm not sure what type of linen they are or maybe I've just been lucky when I have gotten it. Haven't done a lot on linen and when I do stitch on it have to be very very careful with my counting.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: Great finish!! So sorry you had to struggle so much with this but it really looks adorable!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

I hate it when what should be a quick stitch causes such irritation, but what a cutie it turned out to be!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

Thanks, everybody! :D

I was so happy to have finished it, so I could start something new. So last night I spent about an hour going through all my stash, looking for a new project, something that's NOT a jar. I have that Dimensions pattern of flowers inside mason jars so I thought I'd do that. I cut out the fabric (used my lugana 32 ct fabric, not the aida 14 in the kit), taped off the edges, got all settled in... and saw that a TON of this pattern is blended threads. I was too tired to deal with it. lol I'll see what I feel like after work today.

And all that was after spending at least an hour searching for a 3"x3" bluebird pattern that has some detail, my mom wants a jar with this on it. I found a handful but they're very simple, beginner designs. Which is fine... but I was hoping to find something a little more intricate. So I found a cute pattern on etsy with 5 bluebirds. I bought it, thinking I'll just stitch up one of the birds. Sigh. Looks like one of those HAED patterns, it's like 30 pages and I can't make out from the pattern what's bird and what's flower/branch. Back to the drawing board.

I love stitching, but sometimes it can be really frustrating!

Now that' I've written a book, I think I'll go get some breakfast... :)
Michelle

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I have some charts I stitched a long time ago which are Bluebirds of Happiness from the Crossed Wing Collection. Some should be about the right size. No blended threads but plenty of backstitch and fractionals. If you are interested, pm me your address. I will be glad to send them to you. I don't plan on stitching them again.

Carole
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

rcperryls wrote:I have some charts I stitched a long time ago which are Bluebirds of Happiness from the Crossed Wing Collection. Some should be about the right size. No blended threads but plenty of backstitch and fractionals. If you are interested, pm me your address. I will be glad to send them to you. I don't plan on stitching them again.

Carole
I really, really appreciate that... I just googled it and it says the mountain bluebird (smallest one) has a stitch count of 55x64. I'm guessing that's on 14 ct? What if I did it on 18... hmm. I just plugged it into a cross stitch calculator, that's 3 x 3.5 inches. Maybe that would work? Or since it's small maybe I do 25 ct, stitched 1 over 1? It's worth a shot, I guess? I'll pm you my address. Thank you!! :whoop:
Michelle

Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Congratulations on your finish :dance: and good on you for persevering he looks fantastic :applesauce:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I love frogs! The pattern is so cute! Thanks for posting. :applesauce:

:wip:
Golden Butterfly (one down & 3 to go)
Marilyn Monroe