Stitching & TV

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

motherof4

Stitching & TV

Post by motherof4 »

I find it difficult to watch flosstube or tv while stitching, I really have to concentrate on my work and wondered how other stitchers manage to do both ?
fccs

Re: Stitching & TV

Post by fccs »

motherof4 wrote:I find it difficult to watch flosstube or tv while stitching, I really have to concentrate on my work and wondered how other stitchers manage to do both ?
I can watch (listen to) most tv shows and movies while stitching - maybe because I've always done something else while watching tv - stitching, crocheting, even reading. However there are some shows that require more attention - Sherlock comes to mind.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Podolyanka

Post by Podolyanka »

Stopped watching TV more than 9 years ago and have never been sorry. So it cant interfere with my stitching.
Lyudmila
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I love putting on favorite movies or tv shows that I've already watched & just listen. I can't wear my glasses when I stitch (even though they're bifocals), so I can't see the TV anyway. But I like to have the background noise.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I usually watch/listen to the tv when I am stitching, and if not, then usually have my iPod going in my ears :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I have can't just sit and watch TV, I have to do something, either read, sew, stitch, or knit/crochet. That's why I don't like going to the movies, I just can't sit there for that long and do nothing with my hands. (and throwing popcorn in my piehole doesn't count hehe)
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

DH watches tons of rugby, so to be companionable, I listen to the rugby, looking up at the right moment (usually) to see a try or something. There are very few shows I "watch" on TV anyway, and those require concentration, so no stitching.

If I'm working in the back on something important, like the Firebird, then I listen to music. Usually find spoken books too distracting.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I listen to films/programs on TV whilst knitting or stitching.
Of course now the Moto GP season has started again :dance: I have plenty of reasons to sit whilst cheering on my favourites!! Some mistakes get made but what the heck! I can always summon up the :anotherfrog:
@rotfl:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am also one who has to do something while watching tv or a dvd. Depending on what I'm stitching I will watch old favorites (either tv shows or movies) that I know and can pretty much listen to it and look up occasionally (I have no idea how many times I have watched the extended versions of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies). If I'm watching something that involves a lot of concentrating (like Sherlock for example or Victoria or Stranger Things - one of the strangest shows I've seen) I stitch large blocks that don't require much attention, staying away from confetti. Before cross stitching I would read, do crosswords or now play computer games on my iPad. Anything that keeps my hands busy and my mouth away from food. :roll:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Anna114

Post by Anna114 »

As others have said it depends on the show. I cannot watch football and stitch.... too much going on. NASCAR and stitching, oh go team! That's my favorite or I will put on something I know. Some Cary Grant movies I can say verbatim lol. The Thin Man Movies, those I can re-listen to any day of the week. I need to multi-task but something has to give, it's never my stitching.

Anna

Sexiness wears thin after a while and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that's a real treat. Joanne Woodward
fccs

Post by fccs »

mauveme wrote:That's why I don't like going to the movies, I just can't sit there for that long and do nothing with my hands. (and throwing popcorn in my piehole doesn't count hehe)
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I don't find the act of cross stitching to fully engage my mind and attention and if I have no other activity going on I will start to notice it after an hour or so and feel bored for lack of a better word. Like others, I can't engage in anything meaningful at the same time without neglecting my stitching or the entertainment. But if I don't don my headphones and find something to watch I am at the mercy of my wife's youtube selections and I assure you that our taste are very dissimilar.

That makes flosstube a good fit as I can listen most of the time with only quick glances at the screen to see items that are being presented. It is enough to keep my mind fully engaged without overwhelming it.
-Steve

karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:
mauveme wrote:That's why I don't like going to the movies, I just can't sit there for that long and do nothing with my hands. (and throwing popcorn in my piehole doesn't count hehe)
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Hahaha, I can so relate!!! I just watched Fantastic Beasts on DVD tonight and picked up my stitching from time to time :lol:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Roland

Post by Roland »

Serinde wrote:
If I'm working in the back on something important, like the Firebird, then I listen to music. Usually find spoken books too distracting.
I listen to a show more than watch it.

But I also cannot stitch while listening to a book. My first attempt was a book called "I Was Born on a Blue Day". It's an excellent autobiography written by an autistic savant. He was obsessed with numbers. The whole book, he kept saying numbers. He broke the record (not sure if it was world record or UK) for reciting Pi. Try counting your cross stitches through that. :lol: :lol:

I tried with another book, and it still didn't work.
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I already responded & said I listen to the TV but this weekend I was over at my mom's house, stitching, and ended up listening to a podcast (that new Serial & This American Life podcast called S-Town). I'm totally addicted to this podcast and the time flew by! I forgot that a few times in the past I've put the headphones on and listened to an audiobook while I stitch - I like doing that! Can't believe I forgot I used to do that. I will definitely do that again.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

Nope. No "noise" what so ever.
Complete "silence." That way no :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: :anotherfrog: comes for a visit. :-D :-D
That's why I stitch in computer/sewing room.
Hubby is in living room flipping channels, til he goes and takes his "nap" or to bed for the night, depending on time of day.
Oreo, yep he looks just like an Oreo cookie between his ears, our 12 yr. inside cat is at his "perch", :roll: looking out or sleeping on his pillow, under the window in the computer/sewing room.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :ratherbe: :ratherbe: :ratherbe: :ratherbe: :ratherbe: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: