Australlian Cyclone

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kingfisher68

Australlian Cyclone

Post by kingfisher68 »

Hope all those members & their families who live in NE Australia are safe. :pray:
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
wendywombat

Re: Australlian Cyclone

Post by wendywombat »

I saw this was approaching yesterday!! :shock: :tizzy: :tizzy: :grouphug:

Hope you girls are safe down there!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Absolutely.
Sounds nasty, but I know the Queensland coast has had worse.

Stay safe.

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I just looked at some video footage of this storm and send my thoughts and prayers to any of you who are or who will be in its path. Hopefully, it will decrease in intensity as it moves further inland. Having been through a Category 4 Hurricane I know how scary these storms are. Take care and stay safe. Saw your post, Sally, and crocheting or knitting indoors during a tropical storm sounds like the best way to deal with it. Shirley used to get behind the pillow inside of the pillow case when bad storms hit. Laverne clings to my lap. Hope Tuppy isn't too scared of storms.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Looks a rotten storm hitting Queensland. We're used to "blows", but not quite on this scale. :shock: Let us know you are all safe and sound when you are able.
fccs

Post by fccs »

I do hope everyone is safe.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Hoping all are safe and that this storm diminishes quickly
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Just checking in, all quiet here in Brisbane although the clouds are coming in a bit this morning. Sometime later tomorrow we can expect "Debbie" to arrive around here with heavy rain and winds but by the time she gets here she will only be a 'tropical storm' outside the cyclone categories - thank heavens. The rain is expected to stick around through Friday and then she will head off shore and way out to sea.

I know from experience that the noise is so scary and sideways rain is most strange. They have had it bad up north, the worst for many many years, even more damage than the cyclone about 4-5 years ago so it will take them time. Thankfully they had plenty of time to get all the personel in place from the navy with a hospital ship off shore, plus extra helicopters, to the army along with the SES (our civilian helpers in time of storms etc) electrical crews to replace power poles and power etc etc. All have been in place close by ready to move as soon as the wind dropped to safe levels. It is going to take months to clean up and get the areas back on track if that is possible.

So the short answer is we are fine here, enjoying some cooler days but dry so far. :)

Prayers go out to all affected and for the ongoing clean up too.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

That was a really bad cyclone.Category 4 when she crossed the coast.Bowen,Proserpine and Airlie beach at totally cut off from road access due to flooding.mega damage to the sugar cane and mango farmers.Damage to houses etc is very vey high..
As Sally said we will maybe get a bit of rain but not much else.That was our first cyclone for the season and it was really late in the season.Hope there aren't any more.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Belated wishes for all of you affected. We have our fair share of hurricanes here and they are never fun. Stay safe.
kevona

Post by kevona »

Hoping everyone is fine and the clean up and sorting out back to normality is swift for anyone affected.
Donna

Pull up a chair and grab a :tea:
http://kevonacrafts.blogspot.co.uk" target="_blank
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

This has been one of the worst cyclones ever.Damage is much greater than anticipated.So much loss and heartbreak.People are stranded out on holiday islands in the Whitsundays.Shute Harbour which is known as the gateway to the Whitsundays is decimated.Over forty,yes forty inches of rain in 48 hours at Greenmount. Debbie is now travelling south as a tropical low.We had 117points of rain last night.I have been on my property here since 1980 and this is the second worst flooding I have seen.nearly five inches of rain in the past eight hours.Our creek is raging,bridge under and lots of rain still falling.We are safe though as the house is about 100ft above the creek.Humidity is unbearable.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:shock: :shock:

Just looked at the news site.... :shock: Good Grief!

Stay safe Girls!! :grouphug: :grouphug:
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Glad Sally & Stitchinkitty are safe & well. Sounds really awful with so much rain & mud everywhere. Hope it does not get worse & that you get some help with the clearing up. :pray: & thoughts with you.
Izzi

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hi All still here and raining heavily for some time tonight with a strong wind. We have had 172 mm of rain - almost 7 inches of rain in the last 21 hours. Humidity has stayed in the 90's( per cent) all day and not a lot better tonight. Guess I will be sleeping on top of the bed again tonight.

I live in a 2 storey house on the down side of a slope but as far as I could see before it got dark only a bit of water lying near the upside neighbours fences was lying around. However the rain has been persistent and very heavy since about 7 pm - it's now 9 .15 pm.

Supposed to be fine tomorrow but with very strong winds. We shall see. So far BoM (beaurough of metorology ) (wrong spelling I am sure but it has been a tiring day) have been spot on with their pedictions.
Lets hope they are right tomorrow when the southerly front arrives to kick Debbie out into the Pacific Ocean.

Keep safe Marilyn

WIPS
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Glad to hear that you are both safe and dry and hope the humidity drops to a more reasonable level. My heart goes out to all the victims of the storm. Stay safe in the aftermath too which has its own dangers to watch out for.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

True, snagged up trees & disgruntled/displaced salties are both to be watched for.

When we went to Cairns a few years ago it was around 6 months after Yazi. I was surprised at how little damage the native vegetation showed, but the imported stuff like sugar cane, bananas, tea & mangoes were all still wrecked. Some of the banana plantations were hardly showing any signs of re-growth (this was August) having been taken off at ground level.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Richard,the mango farms and cane farms around Bowen are decimated.Plus 80% of Australias winter veg-tomatoes,zucinni etc come from there.The sugar cane was ready for harvest.
We are 1000k south but really got hammered with the tail end of Debbie which combined with a low pressure coming up from down south and hitting the humidity.Massive rainfall and flooding,even into areas of New South Wales.
We had eleven inches in 36 hours.Creek flooded but we are way higher than the creek.Now all we have to worry about is everthing growing mould!Good to hear Sally is high and dry.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

A heck of a lot of rain Stitchinkitty. That must be gross to see mould growing everywhere.

Glad you are OK Sally & hope it really is a lesser strength evil by the time it takes going through your area.

I have a friend in Emerald & looking at Google map & views of her area, guess she will be flooded again. She was flooded for the second time a few years ago. The town looks so flat from pics & also there's a lake nearby. Will have to wait until I get a letter from her as she's doesn't email. Last time it took ages for her & her husband to get their home right. Also her daughter's family, who live a few streets away were worse off & took even longer getting back to normal. So much mud to clear up in both homes - furniture & kitchen appliances to replaced. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Keep safe both of you :hug: :hug:
Izzi

WIP
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Woke to clearing skies and now the sun is out. No water lying around here but we do have some small debris from the gales which came through last night. I slept through it - even didn't hear my DD & SIL hauling in the furniture off the balcony and down the back near the fish pond.
We ended up with 175.8 mm which is just under 7" of rain so won't need any for a while.

Lovely to have daylight today, yesterday was so gloomy it was impossible to work on Angel with almost black thread, and too humid to crochet or knit.
Today is clear crisp and cool, no humidity to speak of - just this cold wind blasting away.

Thank you all for your love and prayers for us downunder. There are weeks of clean up ahead for thousands of people up and down the Queensland coast which is going to take oh so long in some instances. For example, the wonderful marinas full of lovely yachts of all shapes and sizes were decimated with boats trewn far and wide. Any which ended up on the land - and many did - will now have to wait until the next king tide to be floated off! The ground is too unstable for cranes to work so a long wait.

WIPS