copyright theft

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Amanda G

copyright theft

Post by Amanda G »

Hello fellow stitchers,
A couple of years ago I shared a "free to download" mini dreamcatcher chart on my blogspot. It is still available to download from there.
I have just discovered that someone is selling my dreamcatcher chart on Ebay as a kit. They are selling them for £4.99 each, without my name or permission, so they have basically stolen my copyright. :tantrum:
I have tried to contact them to ask them to remove the kit but they "have so many emails they don't have time to answer them"! I have reported the seller to Ebay but don't know how long it will take for them to act. Please help me spread the word that this mini dreamcatcher kit is copyright theft.
They are also overcharging stitchers as the chart is freely available. Here is the link:

http://amandas-designs.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... chart.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

and no £4:99 charge!! :)
wendywombat

Re: copyright theft

Post by wendywombat »

:tantrum: I hope you get a result from this, Amanda. Ebay has a lot to answer for. So many times there are obviously photocopies of charts for sale. I reported someone who actually stated that what they were selling was copies of charts they had in their possession! :shock:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

How very annoying for you, Amanda!! I hope you get some results soon!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hope eBay will soon get their finger out and do the right thing!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:tantrum: :tantrum: How disgraceful of them to do that. I sure hope that Ebay pull finger and get it sorted ASAP.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

I saw that & thought I had seen it somewhere before but couldn't remember where. Hope you get an answer from EBay. Bad all round when people do that... :tantrum:
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

I hope you are able to find resolution to your copyright issue. I know there are a lot of copyright issues with patterns on eBay, Etsy, and such websites.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
Amanda G

Re: dreamcatcher copyright theft good news!

Post by Amanda G »

After many emails to and from VeRO (the copyright infringement dept of Ebay) they have finally acted. They were quite obstructive and kept asking for "more explanation" even after I had sent them numerous explanations of the copyright infringement. This went on for around 3 weeks and they didn't seem to be taking it seriously. :tantrum:
I sent a final email and told them they seemed to be deliberately obstructive in an attempt to make me give up and that I would look on Ebay as a place where copyright theft was allowed to flourish. They then took the item off the sellers page! So if at first you don't succeed...... :whoop:
The free dreamcatcher is still on my blogspot so feel free to use......

http://amandas-designs.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... chart.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm so glad that you finally had the result that you should have gotten with one email. I think I lot of times big companies just figure that you will eventually just get tired of fighting and give up. Wonder what they said to the seller. Maybe if the site would bar people who are reported (with evidence like you had) for copyright violations there would be less (though I suppose all someone would have to do is change their name and email address and start over :tizzy: ). And more education for stitchers also. Most stitchers don't even think about it. I know I never did till I come on the forum, but then I didn't know many stitchers so it was never an issue.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: Your perseverance has paid off!!! Well done!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Good on you for sticking with it Amanda :whoop: :whoop: :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
AlwaysGoofy

Post by AlwaysGoofy »

I am happy you were able to get the proper resolution. It's too bad it took so long for them to do it.
AlwaysGoofy's Blog with Cross Stitching, Quilting, and My Love of All Things Disney: http://goofinoffaroundtheblock.blogspot.com/
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

I'm so sorry to hear about this theft. I am one that downloaded your free chart and am very appreciative. It's this kind of theft that discourages designers from designing and making charts available over the internet. So disheartening.

Here's a picture of a birthday card I made for my DSonIL with this lovely dreamcatcher!
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

DahliaDoll, That has worked out beautifully :applesauce:
I love the fringing along the bottom too, it really works well with it. Thank you for sharing :D
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Firstly.......
Well done Amanda for persisting and pursuing this blatant copyright theft, :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Ebay really need to be more sympathetic to designers and a heck of a lot swifter in acting when a designer makes a complaint!

Second....The dreamcatcher pattern is just wonderful, DahliaDoll. :applesauce: The card and the fringing really set off this lovely design. Well done! :whoop: