Yeeha, I've done it

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kingfisher68

Yeeha, I've done it

Post by kingfisher68 »

So thrilled as I have finally managed to convert a photo from Internet into a chart. I know I need to add photographer's name on picture when stitched but it has taken me quite a while to get to objective. Tried several times last week but DH went out for a couple of hours this morning & I decided I would sit until I made it. Managed to get it down to size I wanted after few failed attempts.

You will see the chart pic I show you is on PB 5 or 6 times but it took me an hour to get picture on so I could see it - will take duplicates off another time.

This little feller is Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher & I've read it is the smallest of kingfishers, same size as small hummingbird. One in South Africa which looks identical is only very slightly larger, the size of a medium hummingbird. This one you need to click on & is the pic I have made chat from, cropped down twice from original photo.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/kingf ... 3.jpg.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I've found out there is also a blue eared kingfisher in the world. Not got any plans at the moment to make a picture of that though so you are all spared form more kingfisher pics.

This is the 2nd pic I will make a chart of another time. Same bird in different light

Symbols on printed chart & on colour list is not as dark as I could like it to be as I still have more to learn but am getting there. Adapted printed symbols chart to the size I can read easily, a little too big to b honest but it's a step in the right direction. Used Royal School of Needlework CD rom.
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
karen4bells

Re: Yeeha, I've done it

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :wub: oh my!!! Truly a stunning subject and beautiful photos, but I definitely love the first one!! I can't wait to see you bring it to life through your stitching!! What is the stitch count on this, how large will it be??
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

Beautiful photos! Can't wait to see them all stitched up.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

kingfisher68 wrote:So thrilled as I have finally managed to convert a photo from Internet into a chart. I know I need to add photographer's name on picture when stitched but it has taken me quite a while to get to objective.
Why don't you ask the photographer's permission to stitch it? It's really not enough, I suspect, to put the name in the finished product, and by asking him/her first, much bother could be saved. You might find to your cost that the photographer doesn't actually own the copyright to the photo anymore -- s/he could have sold it to, for instance, Getty. *shudder at memory* That's potentially $$$. (Sorry to be wet blanket -- it's a gorgeous bird, deserving stitching.)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

Does look beautiful.
I thought the 'normal' Kingfisher was bright enough too!

I do agree with Serinde about getting permission, though. You'll be amazed at how pleased people are to be asked permission - I've never been refused permission myself.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Good point Serinde but I checked with Wikimedia webpage & it states that as long as you put on finished item that it is .... from photograph taken by ........., or similar words which say it is not your original photo, it is permissible .

To be even more sure I emailed Wikimedia & asked if I could cross stitch it & add that is it by whoever took it & not my own photo or would they give me photographers contact details so I could contact them direct. I was told it was OK if I kept by Wikimedia copyright rules & also Wikimedia informed me they had no contact information for photographer. I checked beforehand to try & contact photographer there were several people with the same name so that is why I contacted Wikimedia direct to make sure. I do not mind putting that on as it really is for me & no one else each time. I just love this tiny colourful bird & do not mind stitching in photographers name.

Thank you for reminding me about copyright though & I appreciate your concern Serinde.
Izzi

WIP
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Thank you Richard.

I did reply to first 2 posts but it did not get through as I clashed with Serinde & somehow it got lost.

It is to be done on 18 hpi Aida. Size is approx. 6.25 x 5.5 but I cannot remember exactly at the moment. Next time I make a chart I am going to put details & edits made into a notebook so I can refer to it each tie I make another one. I got bogged down with staring at Pc monitor head got muddle & by the end I was so elated I had finally cracked it everything else slipped my mind :roll:

Internet has been playing up & so has PB. Took me 60 mins to get pics on PB but again, I kept plodding on until I beat the machine!!
Izzi

WIP
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

That is a brilliantly colored bird!!! And is going to make a fantastic cross stitch! I can't wait to see you getting started. And the size of a hummingbird too! What a flash of color it must be when flying!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Thanks Carole. I think it must be like watching a flying rainbow when seeing these tiny birds in Borneo forests & other places in Asia. I realised when going through my photos that I had a better picture for 2nd chart rather than the one with a lot of bright pink. This is the one I am going to do eventually as a 2nd x-stitch of that bird. This one I particularly like as you can see throat/crop under the bill very well & also white flash on side of its head. Wonder if this is a male bird as it has the extra colour. Often in bird species the males do have a slightly different colour to distinguish between the sexes. Maybe I'm off the mark but I still like this picture because of the 2 differences.

http://s1376.photobucket.com/user/kingf ... f.jpg.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

No more photos of kingfishers will be posted for a while, I promise :lol:
Izzi

WIP
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:shock: wow!!! That is another stunning photo to convert!!! How big of a project will these be???
Work in Progress
Various small designs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Oh my, those colours! That'll be stunning to work on - I'm sure you won't be able to stop smiling while stitching it :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

Karen, size of each will be about 6.25 ins by 5.5 ins. Can hang them side by side facing looking towards each other :D

You 're right Mabel probably will be smiling a lot when stitching these :D :D
Izzi

WIP
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

kingfisher68 wrote:Karen, size of each will be about 6.25 ins by 5.5 ins. Can hang them side by side facing looking towards each other :D

You 're right Mabel probably will be smiling a lot when stitching these :D :D
Oh now I definitely will be watching, a bit jealously I may add--wish those were available as charts, they would be on my to do list!!!
Work in Progress
Various small designs