Guidelines for stitching on 30 Count Linen

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ecology665

Guidelines for stitching on 30 Count Linen

Post by ecology665 »

Hello, I just recently purchased a 30-count linen. What are the guidelines for this count? Do I do 2 over 2? This is really small, I'm thinking 3 over 3? Can you give me the guidelines for stitch counts? 25 Count, 27 Count, etc. :wave:
Stitchinkitty

Re: Guidelines for stitching on 30 Count Linen

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Strictly speaking,there are no set in stone rules.Most fabrics are usually stitched over two threads,25,27,28,30,32 ct.
I only use two strands of floss for 25 ,27and 28 ct.I can stitch on 30 ct if I use a stronger magnifier.Old eyes put a crimp on finer fabrics.
There's nothing to stop you from stitching over 3 on 30 ct.That would equate to 10ct.I'd be inclined to try three strands of floss to see how good the coverage is.Whatever you decide,don't stress and have fun.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

It all depends on what size you want the finished piece to be. You can stitch over-1, over-2, and even over-3 if you want to, but it seems a waste, imo, to buy 30-ct and then stitch over-3 on it. To get decent coverage, you'd have to use three strands, but putting twelve strands (three strands for each of 4 stitches that meet at the hole) through each corner hole would really distort the fabric. If you stitch over-1, I'd use one or two strands and tent stitch, but you could do one strand and do full crosses. Yes, over-2 would be small stitches, but that's what you use high-count fabrics for -- to get small stitches and a finer look than big, block-looking stitches.

If you have a design that is, let's say, 200 x 200 stitches, if you stitch over-1 on 30 ct, the result will be a finished piece that is 6.6 by 6.6 inches. If you stitch that same design over-2 on 30 ct, the result will be 13 x 13 inches. That same design stitched over-3 on 30 ct would be 20 x 20 inches. So you see, it all depends on how big or small you want the finished piece to be that will determine if you stitch over-1 or over-2. Then, of course, there's always the question of blended threads (has to be 2 strands) or fractional stitches (can't be done over-1).

WIP
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

Thank You Marilyn and Allyn. :) I'll try it and see how it comes out. This is a gold project of a butterfly. It comprises using Krenik's ribbon and cord. Materials that I have never worked with.

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe
In the Garret
(Maybe 'Golden Butterfly' by Janelle Marie Designs)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

That sounds like it's going to be beautiful. :) I'd do that 2-over-2, probably tent stitch it.

WIP
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

If there's ribbon and cord,I'm with Allyn and would go for tent stitch.
Have fun
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

One of my projects was 2 over 2 on 32ct full cross (ie 16ct equivalent) and I got pretty good coverage (if you are interested, it's this one http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... 2&start=80). I'm not sure that tent stitching would give full coverage. I suggest you try it in a test area.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I agree with Richard, having worked on 32ct and 36ct, over 2 with 2 strands. Excellent coverage. But test -- can't hurt; might help. :D