For yourself or others....

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

PattyMac

For yourself or others....

Post by PattyMac »

I recently realized that I have never done a cross stitch project for myself. :shock:

Everything I've ever done I have given away. As a matter of fact, I never even started one unless I had a reason to give it to someone...wedding, baby, etc.

I will say though that I only give to those I feel would truly love and appreciate it. I do enjoy doing it for others, but now would like to do something for myself. So I bought a pattern for my kitchen coffee area and am excited to get it started. But first I have to finish a nice little project for a friend going through a rough time! :doh:

So tell me...do you do mostly for yourself or others? If for yourself, what do you do with your finished projects? I would truly like to know how you "display" or use them. I guess for me, it feels strange to stitch without a purpose other than the satisfaction of it. Maybe I need therapy :lol:
- Pat
fccs

Re: For yourself or others....

Post by fccs »

I do both - stitch for others and for myself. Most of my finishes have been framed for hanging. In my house in California, my walls were covered with my stitching. Not all are hanging in my new house but I still have them. I used to stitch with the finished purpose in mind; now I find I pick my pieces more on how they make me feel and how much fun they are to stitch - how they end up being finished is the least important factor. (That obviously doesn't apply to something I am stitching for a specific person.)

Stitching has become more of a process, a therapy, and form of relaxation rather than a purpose. Does that make sense?
Last edited by fccs on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
PattyMac

Post by PattyMac »

It absolutely makes sense. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
- Pat
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

First of all Patty you have a purpose when you stitch for yourself - you want something up in your coffee area.

I guess 9/10th of my stitching is for other people. I do have my own stuff on the walls -and in the drawer too - as well as some my daughter did oh so long ago. Even though I mostly stitch for other people, it has to be something I would like to stitch and I usually send them pics of several charts to choose from. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I am on my first for someone else. My 'Gryff' picture is a present for my wife as he was her cat in particular.
All the rest have been done for myself. Currently working on my 9th and 10th pieces, so haven't done too many.

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I have done pieces mostly for other people. I've only in the last few years done projects just for me -- which is exactly two so far. Since a project usually takes me anywhere from 6 to 18 months to complete, that's not a lot of projects. I had a few pieces hanging on my walls, but since we moved, there's not a lot of wallspace. We moved into a cottage that is less than 400 square feet.

WIP
curly sue

Post by curly sue »

I stitch because I enjoy it and find it relaxing. I sometimes make Christmas or birthday cards to send to others. I give only to those in my immediate family that I know will like them.

About 90% of what I make I press and put away. I eventually plan to put them into a photo album. It is 12x 12 in. and it is all acid free. Even if it weren't acid free, I would probably still put the pieces in an album. It's a hobby I love and if they deteriorate, they do.
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

I've given away most things I've made but this coming year, apart from making a few cards, I intend doing pictures for DH & myself. I got so carried away with stitching pictures for others last year I forgot to make cards!! :roll: Sooo, this year when I've finished my 2 current WIPs, which are for us, I will stitch cards in between my future picture projects. That way I will always have a card handy for when I need one & not realise until a few days before hand, I do not like rushing my stitching or else I make mistakes so need to have time to do them without a time limit.

Look forward to seeing your chosen stitching for your kitchen coffee area. :)
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I stitch for both. For years I mostly stitched on afghans, making themed pieces, and gave away quite a few, though I do have about 6 which are presently being used to cover furniture which have quite a few scratch marks. I have a few pieces that have been framed. I have given some framed pieces to family and friends also.
But
fccs wrote: I used to stitch with the finished purpose in mind; now I find I pick my pieces more on how they make me feel and how much fun they are to stitch - how they end up being finished is the least important factor. (That obviously doesn't apply to something I am stitching for a specific person.)

Stitching has become more of a process, a therapy, and form of relaxation rather than a purpose. Does that make sense?
Absolutely, positively!!!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
PattyMac

Post by PattyMac »

kingfisher68 wrote:I've given away most things I've made but this coming year, apart from making a few cards, I intend doing pictures for DH & myself. I got so carried away with stitching pictures for others last year I forgot to make cards!! :roll: Sooo, this year when I've finished my 2 current WIPs, which are for us, I will stitch cards in between my future picture projects. That way I will always have a card handy for when I need one & not realise until a few days before hand, I do not like rushing my stitching or else I make mistakes so need to have time to do them without a time limit.

Look forward to seeing your chosen stitching for your kitchen coffee area. :)
This is it! I'm looking forward to starting it. Love the colors...

- Pat
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

What a beautiful project! I can't wait to see your updates on this! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I've given away everything I've ever finished. But I recently placed an order with HAED for Cliffhanger with max color (regular size though, not supersized). I absolutely love that picture. If I ever finish it, I'll hang it with pride in my own house where I can see it regularly. But until then, I keep giving everything away.

Michelle
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
isaminou

Post by isaminou »

I do a lot of projects for others, especially bookmarks, but I also have many projects at home, usually framed and hanging on the walls. In fact, I started to stitch more for myself a few years ago, when I realized that some people around me were asking for projects a little to often (like "please, can you stitch this or that for me, it's for a gift for my sister-in-law...") without paying for the threads or even the chart ! I love crossstitching, but I'm not rich enough to pay for a gift for somebody I don't even know !
Work in progress:

HAED Candied apples and candy corn
charmagne_capalad

Post by charmagne_capalad »

Most of my works are for my own collection. I do give away some as presents to those that I believe will appreciate them. This is really my most favorite hobby as it always give me happiness....and happiness makes our lives better. :D
charmagne
"As we count our stitches...let us not forget to count our blessings..."
@mayneideas on instagram
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I have stitched for both but to be honest I prefer to stitch what I like. Whenever I have been asked to stitch something for someone else it has been a design I don't like and then I have found it really boring to stitch. I tend not to tell people about my stitching now or put it on Facebook anymore so they don't ask me to do them one because I find it really hard to say no.
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
RedfootDaddy

Post by RedfootDaddy »

Pat I love that piece!! You definitely have to share pictures while you're working on it, it's going to look great.

My earliest pieces were for myself, because I was just experimenting, but now most of what I do is for other people (mostly my wife).

My wife actually laughed at me because recently I had to make a sample knit piece for a magazine, and I could choose what size to do. I went through just about every one of my friends and family before realising - I could make the dang thing for myself! So now I have a very cool new sweater and I'm learning to be more selfish with my crafting.
WIPS
Any Time Is Tea Time
Frosted Pumpkin Happily Ever After MSAL
Comforted With Love

they/them pronouns pls
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

It's "always" been for others, going on 34 yrs. this July, for this very reason. HE is the one that put in my path the neighbor that helped me with natural child birth 34 yrs ago. After we had made my maternity clothes, diaper hanger, diaper bag, and crib blanket and ruffled bed covering, she started an Christmas ornament for herself. As she is/was a seamstress, she is/was always making things for herself, so she showed me how, and my stitching has "blossomed", thur Him, in making baby, In Loving Memory and wedding remembrances.
After 2019, I will "starting" my 1st afghan. Have 7 to do for the family. "Hopefully", and with HIS help with health and vitality, and to "honor" HIM, I'll be making the Lord's Supper.
GBU and yours. :)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Lovely project, and how exciting to be stitching something for yourself for a change!

I'm very much a "process stitcher", that is to say I love stitching, and I love stitching what I like to stitch, and if it can be turned into something that's fine, but if it just gets ironed and filed away that's fine too.

Having said that I do turn a lot of my smaller projects into cards, so they get sent, and also some presents like shopping bags or coasters, and a few times I've stitched for a special occasion like an anniversary or a birthday present.

But as I haven't got that much stitching time, I refuse to stitch something that I don't enjoy!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page