I Need Help!!!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Soneill

I Need Help!!!

Post by Soneill »

Hi all!! I am new member and basically a cross stitch newbie. My grandma mother loved doing cross stitch. And when my brother and I were born, she made beautiful pieces for my mom to hang up in our rooms. When my wife and I started having children, she did the same for us. When we had our last child she did the same as She had done before and started the picture. She got about what looks likes â…” of the way finished and then she started getting sick. She was unable to finish the picture.
I would like to finish the picture for my daughter for her as she recently passed away. I need help. Where do I start? Will I be able replicate her technique? How do I go about doing that?
Here is the piece as it sits now.
Just to show you what she could do when she was healthy. This is mine. Image
And these for my 2 boys. (glass broke on one during our last move, still need to replace it.
Mabel Figworthy

Re: I Need Help!!!

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a lovely tradition, and how wonderful that you want to finish the latest one! Remember that cross stitching of whatever size is one cross at a time. If you can make a single cross stitch, you can stitch a project any size.

Have you got the chart and threads for this? Are the threads organised in any way so you know which is which? Have a look at what you've got and see if you can "read" the chart, work out what the symbols stand for and so on. And ask as many questions as you want, we're here to help!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum from South Carolina! I am so sorry to hear of your loss and think that finishing this project will be a lovely way to help you deal with it. If you have the pattern you should be able to find the chart and the rest of the design. There should be symbols for each color thread and instructions. Making your stitches match shouldn't be too difficult once you are used to stitching. I would suggest that you find some similar fabric and practice a bit before taking this project on. Cross stitching isn't too complicated. Every stitch is pretty much the same. I'm not the best one for explaining how to do things, but can certainly refer you to some excellent tutorials:
Mary Corbet's Needle 'N Thread
Scarlet Quince Solutions
are my two favorites.

I know we have members who are great at explaining things and I'm sure they will be posting soon. If you have any questions at all as you are progressing just ask. Someone here will either know the answer or know where to go to find the answer. We love to help each other and will be more than happy to help you with this. You may surprise yourself and find that cross stitch is a great hobby/addiction/passion once you get hooked!

Carole
:)
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:What a lovely tradition, and how wonderful that you want to finish the latest one! Remember that cross stitching of whatever size is one cross at a time. If you can make a single cross stitch, you can stitch a project any size.

Have you got the chart and threads for this? Are the threads organised in any way so you know which is which? Have a look at what you've got and see if you can "read" the chart, work out what the symbols stand for and so on. And ask as many questions as you want, we're here to help!
Thank you. When I was middle school she taught me how to stitch. I made 2 or 3 small pictures and never made another(not cool enough I guess). Here is what I have. Image
What is this for? I kinda have an idea but don't want to guess.Image
Do I need these?
Any idea what the pencil marks are for?
What is this for?
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

What a wonderful thing you're doing!! I'm sorry to hear she passed, it sounds like she was a really amazing woman.

I don't have any advice, other than I would take that tangled pile of threads & just start over with new thread! Looks like from the chart she switched out some colors, picking her own. ?? I don't know what the other pencil marks are - one looks like she was just outlining where the backstitching should be (maybe the pattern didn't call for it, but she was adding it herself?), some others looked to me just like markers of where she may have left off, but again - who knows.

More than anything, I just wanted to say I think it's lovely that you want to finish this design. I think that would make her very, very happy!

-Michelle
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

isaacson72 wrote:What a wonderful thing you're doing!! I'm sorry to hear she passed, it sounds like she was a really amazing woman.

I don't have any advice, other than I would take that tangled pile of threads & just start over with new thread! Looks like from the chart she switched out some colors, picking her own. ?? I don't know what the other pencil marks are - one looks like she was just outlining where the backstitching should be (maybe the pattern didn't call for it, but she was adding it herself?), some others looked to me just like markers of where she may have left off, but again - who knows.

More than anything, I just wanted to say I think it's lovely that you want to finish this design. I think that would make her very, very happy!

-Michelle
I was also thinking that they were marks from where she stopped and started. Also I did forget to mention I do have new strings all around on the little cardboard schools with the numbers that match that string numbers. I'll have to take a picture of them when I get home and post them.
kevona

Post by kevona »

Wow what wonderful pieces. It would be nice to finish the last piece off.
I think the pencil markings are her checks and extra back stitch. It also looks like she's added the letters and numbers in.
As for threads check what you have on the cards and I think she substituted one. The tangle of threads look like what I do whilst stitching. Once finished with a colour I take it off my card but keep it in a pile adding as I go along. If I find I've missed a stitch I have to sort through to find the colour back.
I hope you do manage to get it sorted.

Donna
Donna

Pull up a chair and grab a :tea:
http://kevonacrafts.blogspot.co.uk" target="_blank
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I love what you are trying to do to honour your late wife.

So I'll try to help you sort out what you've got.

The long piece of card with the threads looped on it should in theory be all the threads you need for the kit. The numbers 1 to 24 correspond to the numbers written beside the symbols at the side of the chart.

I see some of the numbers have no threads left which is likely why the thread conversion was needed as the threads used for some kits are different from the usual brands the shops sell. Likely the bobbin cards with numbered threads are the replacements for the missing ones and you'll need to cross reference from the symbols chart through the conversions to the bobbins to work that out. If you give us close up pictures of the symbol list from the side of the chart and the bobbins we'll try to help.

The pile of cut threads is likely rubbish, known as ORTS which some people keep and use to stuff christmas ornaments as a reminder of their years work. Many other just bin them. :D

I think most of the marks on the chart are showing what has been stitched but I think the marking on the ribbon are where the pattern was to be altered to be more pleasing in your wife's eye. You can choose to follow those marks or or revert to the original pattern.

Finally can I say that I think this kit has been used before either by your wife or she got it from a friend. An experienced stitcher as she was would not likely run out of so many colours and would not need to rely on the thread conversions so much. This will make your task a little more challenging but keep asking questions and we'll do our best to help.
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

[quote="Purple Patsy"]I love what you are trying to do to honour your late wife.

The long piece of card with the threads looped on it should in theory be all the threads you need for the kit. The numbers 1 to 24 correspond to the numbers written beside the symbols at the side of the chart.

I see some of the numbers have no threads left which is likely why the thread conversion was needed as the threads used for some kits are different from the usual brands the shops sell. Likely the bobbin cards with numbered threads are the replacements for the missing ones and you'll need to cross reference from the symbols chart through the conversions to the bobbins to work that out. If you give us close up pictures of the symbol list from the side of the chart and the bobbins we'll try to help.

The pile of cut threads is likely rubbish, known as ORTS which some people keep and use to stuff christmas ornaments as a reminder of their years work. Many other just bin them. :D

I think most of the marks on the chart are showing what has been stitched but I think the marking on the ribbon are where the pattern was to be altered to be more pleasing in your wife's eye. You can choose to follow those marks or or revert to the original pattern.

Finally can I say that I think this kit has been used before either by your wife or she got it from a friend. An experienced stitcher as she was would not likely run out of so many colours and would not need to rely on the thread conversions so much. This will make your task a little more challenging but keep asking questions and we'll do our best to help.[/quote]

Thank you for your help. Its my grandmother who started these and could not finish. I will photo up the rest of the kit when I get home. I don't think she got the kit from a friend. According to the date on the sheet she printed from the internet, she started this about 2 months before my daughter was born. And she was born at 26 weeks. My grandmother wasn't able to finish and passed away about 3 weeks ago. My daughter just turned 5 this year, so she had been working on it for sometime.
Last edited by Soneill on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

Purple Patsy wrote:I love what you are trying to do to honour your late wife.

Finally can I say that I think this kit has been used before either by your wife or she got it from a friend. An experienced stitcher as she was would not likely run out of so many colours and would not need to rely on the thread conversions so much. This will make your task a little more challenging but keep asking questions and we'll do our best to help.
Also I believe there is more than enough treads to finish. I'll get the rest of the kit photos when I get home.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome to the forum from the West of Scotland. "wave"

Looks to me from the colour chart that she started with whatever came with the kit perhaps? But it's clear that she converted many (most?) of the colours to DMC -- which have the virtue of being readily available and high quality.

Comparing the stitching completed so far against the chart -- and especially the pencil marks -- will quickly show if she has done the areas marked.

There are quite a few colours in this chart. I wonder if the choice between the red symbols and blue symbols on the chart are ways to make the design for a girl or boy, perhaps? The instructions (RTFM!) will give you a clue.

This is fun. We like puzzles! And don't forget to come to the Stash & Grab for a (virtual) drink!
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I'm so sorry for your loss. It looks like you have everything you need to complete this project. The numbers written next to the symbols correspond to the numbers written on the long card holding the thread. For instance, the dark pink thread in the number 2 hole on the long card is the color thread you would use wherever that symbol with the number 2 next to it on the chart is shown. The numbers written under the "DMC" heading she added next to the original thread list are the color numbers for DMC thread that matches whatever brand of thread the kit originally contained. Unless you know what her usual preferences were, it will be difficult to know whether she started using the thread provided in the kit and then switched over to DMC when/if she ran out, or if she discarded all of the original thread and used DMC exclusively. The pencil marks look to me like she was marking lines as they were finished or possibly a way to help her count stitches. It is also possible that if she got off somewhere in the pattern she did some minor adjustments to get back on track. You could make a copy of the original pattern and then shade the stitches she'd already done on the copy to see exactly what's been completed and where you need to pick up. If you've never really stitched, download a simple, free pattern from someplace like DMC or 123crossstitch or similar and do a practice piece to get the hang of it. Something small like a 2"x3" with less than 6 colors is a good place to start. Once you have the basics, you'll do just fine finishing the birth sampler. It's going to be a beautiful piece when it's finished. Good luck and let us know how you're coming along.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Sonnell and Welcome from me too in very warm Brisbane. I am sorry for your loss and admire your determination to finish off the design for your daughter. Just keep asking questions and they will get answered - this is THE most helpful forum ever. :whoop:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

Purple Patsy wrote:I love what you are trying to do to honour your late wife.

Here are the photos you asked for.

So is the long card with the threads where I put the strands I'm going to use? Or is it just for color matching. Also how do I go about altering the pattern she was going to do if it's only pencil marks and not symbols?
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

You can cut a few 18" lengths from the bobbin cards and keep them on the long card or you can unwind only what you need from the bobbin cards (the short cards the extra thread is wrapped around.) Whatever way you think will work best for you.

Quick question - do you know if she used the same size Aida cloth as what was described on the packaging? I noticed the directions on your photo was calling for 2 strands for some colors and 3 strands for others. If she went with a different sized fabric you will need to adjust how many strands you are using. You can check this by laying a ruler on the fabric and counting how many squares are in 1 inch. The number of squares equals the count size of the fabric. Example: 14 squares per linear inch = 14 count Aida.

Just in case you're not sure, each thread of DMC has 6 strands - you will need to separate them and use the indicated number of strands.

I don't think you need to worry about any changes she made, it looks like anything she did has already been stitched except for the bow at the top of the picture. Make a copy of the original chart. Then sit down with a pencil (so you can erase if you make a mistake) and shade everything on the copy that she already did. That way it will be much easier for you to pick up where she left off. Shade the stitches you complete as you go along. Just follow the pattern - whatever she did is so close to the original that the finished product will be beautiful. DO NOT put in the ABCDEF in the top banner or the sequential numbers in the bottom shelf - those are place holders where you will put in the child's name and birth information.

Take a deep breath, cross stitching is easy to pick up and you're going to do great. If you're really nervous, do a small test pattern before you try to finish this one. Good luck - we're all cheering in your corner.
fccs

Post by fccs »

In reading this thread, it seems like you've received lots of good advice already so I've not thing to add at this point. I just wanted to say I think it is wonderful and very moving that you want to finish this. You can do it and we'll all be here to help you along the way, should you need us.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

Ok, here I go. I got these to practice with, I hope they will help.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

A great idea and I am sure they will help you understand the jumble of charts, symbols threads etc by starting out from scratch. Take your time, read ALL the instructions with each kit and set to.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with these cute designs.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Squirrel wrote:A great idea and I am sure they will help you understand the jumble of charts, symbols threads etc by starting out from scratch. Take your time, read ALL the instructions with each kit and set to.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with these cute designs.
I agree that this is a great idea! If you have questions, ask away!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Soneill

Post by Soneill »

Here's an update on my practice peices. Its slow going but I only send about 45 min a day of I can. Also I've had to go backwards more Times than I care to share.