Thread parking

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

motherof4

Thread parking

Post by motherof4 »

I've seen a video where the stitcher parked her thread loaded on the needles and wondered if anyone else parks like this ?
DisneyStitcher

Re: Thread parking

Post by DisneyStitcher »

I don't park but I keep a needle loaded for each symbol on my color chart. It's something to look at when you've got 70+ needles going. :roll:
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Isn't that confusing when you have like coloured threads, how do you store them till you're ready to use them ?
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

motherof4 wrote:I've seen a video where the stitcher parked her thread loaded on the needles and wondered if anyone else parks like this ?

I do. I have magnetic strips on the top and bottom scroll bars so I can park needles across the top and across the bottom of the work. If I have more than about 25 needles going, though, it can get a little much.

WIP
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

motherof4 wrote:Isn't that confusing when you have like colored threads, how do you store them till you're ready to use them ?
I have a strip of aida and just keep them in numbered order. Every color symbol has an assigned number. When I have more than 20 I'll put a decorative headed pin after every 10th needle to make counting easier. I don't park so this works for me. When I've finished a section of the color I'm working on, it goes back onto the aida strip and then I pull the next needle I'm using -- I only ever have one needle off the strip at any one time. I just fold it up and stick it in my project tote when I'm not actively stitching.
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

That sounds great, I would love to see it in action. Thank you
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

DisneyStitcher wrote:
motherof4 wrote:Isn't that confusing when you have like colored threads, how do you store them till you're ready to use them ?
I have a strip of aida and just keep them in numbered order. Every color symbol has an assigned number. When I have more than 20 I'll put a decorative headed pin after every 10th needle to make counting easier. I don't park so this works for me. When I've finished a section of the color I'm working on, it goes back onto the aida strip and then I pull the next needle I'm using -- I only ever have one needle off the strip at any one time. I just fold it up and stick it in my project tote when I'm not actively stitching.
Oh geeze I need a picture reference for this. I'm having a hard time visualizing what all this parking looks like- for both you and Allyn.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

The only thing I park ...is my car!!! :lol:

I hate dangled threads and loads of needles. :tizzy: I stitch one colour and fasten off, if it's just a small area then I hop to the next area if it's not more than 4/5 stitches away. Then the thread on the back gets woven in when that patch of fabric is covered. I think that method is called 'cross country' stitching.

I guess what suits the stitcher is best for them, no right or wrong way!
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I have tried parking a few times. It worked quite well for me with fewer than 10 active colours. When I got up to 35 active colours, I really couldn't cope & was down to 10-11 stitches an hour, which was impossibly slow. So I gave up & reverted to cross country.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
motherof4

Post by motherof4 »

Thank you all for your replies
isaminou

Post by isaminou »

I do like wendywombat, one needle at the time. Anyway, I often work with more than 75-100 colors so it would be a real mess to try to manage all those needles ! :shock:
Work in progress:

HAED Candied apples and candy corn
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I use the Loran needle cards and I try to stitch in blocks.

:wip:
Marilyn Monroe
In the Garret