WARNING: FamilyTreeNow

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DisneyStitcher

WARNING: FamilyTreeNow

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Hello everyone. I'm just passing along a warning that maybe only is relevant to those of you in the US. There is a free geneology site called FamilyTreeNow that is open sourced meaning ANYONE can view the information. I looked up myself, and while my SS# did not appear to be accessible, there was enough information on my page for someone with nefarious intentions to do some identity theft damage. In addition to the scarily accurate stuff, it had picked up information from a medical fraud case that took me almost a year to get removed from my credit reports to my file page. I don't know if it picks up people from outside the US, but I'm posting warnings everywhere I can think of. Go to the site and look yourself up. If you find yourself, go to the bottom of that page and click on contact us. Follow the directions to opt out and get your information removed from public view. Make it your New Year's resolution to check your credit reports this year if you don't already. Happy Stitching everyone.
isaacson72

Re: WARNING: FamilyTreeNow

Post by isaacson72 »

That's really creepy. I don't think I'm hard to locate but this did have all of my former addresses (and my current) and the names of all my relatives -- both on my side of the family, and my husband's side, and all their in-laws/relatives too. That was disturbing. I just did the opt-out thing. Thanks for the heads up.

Michelle
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That's scary. :shock:
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

It really is scary. I'd be especially worried if I or a relative worked in a high risk job. Anyone wanting locate a police officer or their family would have no problem. Same for fire protection, a doctor/lawyer/accountant your angry at...the list is endless. A social worker that someone has a grudge against. What if you or a relative are military personnel? Even if the military person keeps their info private, they can be located through indirect family members. This certainly isn't the first site to offer this info, but generally they make you pay for it - think Spokeo and the like. I have had to pay for information to make sure it was me and then get them to remove me from their lists. And I have no guarantee that they actually did so without paying for suspicious looking entries again. I really wish we could get legislation passed that requires opt in for ANY service that collects data on you.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I just had a go with it and nothing came up for either of the names I put in - so maybe it is just confined to the States
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I went to it. It had all my addresses, parents and siblings. Whoaa!
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Oh my god that's scary. I'm not on there but my husband, my mother, my father, my sister, her husband are all on there. I have a mention but no additional information. They're addresses are in full view!
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Just got a security alert about this from the Kim Komando news letter. Definitely going to be checking this first thing in the morning. After coffee.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Squirrel wrote:I just had a go with it and nothing came up for either of the names I put in - so maybe it is just confined to the States
I tried too (with my maiden name) and nothing came up; so Europe probably not included either
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I opted out this morning but am going to check again with my maiden name. Information was minimal and some was inaccurate. I think it is a website that means well but hasn't thought through what they have. I had to disable the Web of Trust add-on on my browser so it would let me on to the website so I could opt out.

Carole
:ratherbe:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
AngieR

Post by AngieR »

They had two of me only let me opt out of one. So I did the one with the most info on it.
Angie

Wips
Colorful Rose (Happy Forever) started May 20th 2016
the eagles wings 3 (Happy Forever) started May 27th 2016
Unicorn Garden (Happy Forever) Jan. 6, 2017
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

AngieR wrote:They had two of me only let me opt out of one. So I did the one with the most info on it.
Go back on another time and disable the second one as well.
fccs

Post by fccs »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:
Squirrel wrote:I just had a go with it and nothing came up for either of the names I put in - so maybe it is just confined to the States
I tried too (with my maiden name) and nothing came up; so Europe probably not included either
The information is all taken from public records in the US, and like has been said earlier, this site offers most of it free. You can opt out, but who knows if that really works or not.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I went there to opt out, but I'm not in there. I feel a little relieved and a little...I don't know...a little insignificant? I checked all my names (I'm like a rock star. The name I'm known as is nothing like my legal name and I have a previous marriage) and none of them are in there. My father was in there, but even under the list of his family and possible associates (which included most but not all of my step-siblings) only my step-mother and one sister were listed. A brother and I were not mentioned anywhere. Part of me is glad that I've avoided digital documentation but another part of me wants to correct this glaring error. No. . . .not going to correct it. I'd rather run under the radar. :)

WIP
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

Allyn wrote:I went there to opt out, but I'm not in there. I feel a little relieved and a little...I don't know...a little insignificant? I checked all my names (I'm like a rock star. The name I'm known as is nothing like my legal name and I have a previous marriage) and none of them are in there. My father was in there, but even under the list of his family and possible associates (which included most but not all of my step-siblings) only my step-mother and one sister were listed. A brother and I were not mentioned anywhere. Part of me is glad that I've avoided digital documentation but another part of me wants to correct this glaring error. No. . . .not going to correct it. I'd rather run under the radar. :)
I'd concur! I'm on there as a link under my family's name, but there's nothing in my profile. My husband however... -.-'