Experience with hand lotions?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

DisneyStitcher

Experience with hand lotions?

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Does anyone have a recommendation for a hand lotion that can be used while stitching? I tend to wash my hands frequently which usually isn't a problem as I live in a high humidity climate. But this winter has just been brutal on my skin. I haven't ever used hand lotion before stitching because I didn't want any oils to seep into my work, but it's extra bad right now. Seems like I spend more time re-threading my needle because I snagged the thread than on actually sewing. Happy stitching everyone.
Lulu22

Re: Experience with hand lotions?

Post by Lulu22 »

I've wondered the same thing myself, I get very dry cracked skin in the winter but as I don't want to get oil/lotion on my work I have to use plasters on the cuts when i stitch, so I too would love to know what everyone else does.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
kingfisher68

Post by kingfisher68 »

I use Atrixo hand cream during the day - the one in a tub, not the Atrixo they have in a tube. I wash my hands before I stitch but I do not put hand cream on afterwards, leaving hands grease free. I keep fragrance free baby wipes handy in case I want to wipe my hands during the evening. So far they seem OK but I was concerned at first it may affect my fabric. I do not use any hand cream in the evening until I have finished stitching for the night.
Izzi

Believe you can & you will

WIP
DMC Pleasant Row Cottages
DahliaDoll

Post by DahliaDoll »

Have you tried bag balm at bed time and wear gloves? I don't enjoy sleeping with gloves on, but the bag balm really helps. Then perhaps you wouldn't need so much lotion during the daytime.
My Blog: Crafting is My Busy-Ness

乁( •_• )ㄏ
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I use Udder Cream, it's not greasy and I wait about half an hour before stitching and it doesn't seem to have any affect on the fabric. My apartment is very dry and my hands get cracked and sometimes bleeding. I use a lot of moisturizer for very dry hands at night and after stitching. This helps a lot too. There are some on line at stitching sights specifically for stitchers. Try there too.
Linda
fccs

Post by fccs »

I use Udderly Smooth when I stitch. It's pretty dry here and I need lotion especially when stitching with silk floss. It helps my dry hands and does not stain my fabric and fibers.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

fccs wrote:I use Udderly Smooth when I stitch. It's pretty dry here and I need lotion especially when stitching with silk floss. It helps my dry hands and does not stain my fabric and fibers.
I have been using Udderly Smooth for quite a while - you've never had issues with spots on the fabric? I hold a hoop to stitch, I don't use a frame. I've always been afraid to use any lotions before I stitch.
DisneyStitcher

Post by DisneyStitcher »

Thanks to all - please keep suggestions coming. The more information I can gather the better. My skin is just GROSS right now and I've been using buckets (or tubs in the case of Udderly Smooth) of lotion at night and in the morning. But I still wash my hands frequently in the course of a day. I use Hempz as a day lotion, but never after washing if I'm going to be stitching. Our air is so dry right now that just rinsing and drying your hands leaves them all crackley.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I use udder cream (unfragranced) for my hands, and it keeps them nice - haven't used it immediately before stitching, but certainly after half an hour it doesn't have any effect on anything you hold.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've used Udder Cream too. It's great!

What I put on my hands at night is some Honey and Beeswax balm. I wouldn't use it before stitching but at night when hands are warm in bed it absorbs nicely and in the morning I can feel the difference. It's so concentrated a little goes a long way.
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I'll look up some of your suggestions shortly a thank you from me too.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I've got horses so my hands are very easy to get into a terrible state. I used to use udder,y smooth, but then I found O'Keeffe's Working Hands Hand Cream. OMG it's fantastic, and non greasy, I can stitch about five mins or less after I've applied it. I get it at my local plant nursery, but have got it online previously. You won't regret using it!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

My absolute favorite is Pre de Provence: Lavender Hand Creme (but I buy Lemon Verbena too!) It's 20% shea butter and my hands are really dry.
dawn0621

Post by dawn0621 »

I used Stitcher's Lotion for awhile. It was better than nothing, and safe for fabric, but not the greatest moisturizer.
Dawn
:wip:
Italian Vista
HAEDs - Autumn, Come Together, Sunflower Bee, I Put a Spell on You
Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy
I Believe in Santa
Autumn Leaves Bookmark
Autumn from Etsy

Finished ~Hummingbirds

sleeplessstitcher916 on Instagram
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

the thing I like when my skin gets bad is Norwegian Formula glycerin hand balm. You only need a tiy bit and it is designed for very dry chapped hands. Rub it in well and wait a few minutes and it leaves no residue on my hands. I also use this at night sometimes, use a bit more and put cotton gloves on over the top

Have you considered wearing gloves to stitch? I know you can get gloves like fingerless mittens so you can still stitch, and you could use a more intensive hand cream under the gloves
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

I generally use gloves, white cotton gloves with pimples for grip. Also sold as 'dressage gloves' in horsey circles. I cut the tips off the thumb, index and middle fingers on my stitching hand. This reduces the amount of any thing transferred to the fabric.

Regards

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation