2017 Stash & Grab

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Nicola Main

Re: 2017 Stash & Grab

Post by Nicola Main »

Time for a :tea: before bedtime! Hope you've all had a lovely Bank holiday! I spent last night sorting out all the threads for the Red Squirrel cross stitch. Not starting it yet until I've finished Mr Mallard but I just like to be organised! ;) Nothing better than sitting sorting out threads and arranging onto a punched card and writing all the symbols, colours and numbers! :love: I also need to order more DMC threads at some point for my stash as I'm slowly running out of certain colours especially greens for some reason! :thinks:
Work in Progress
Rachel Froud 'Highlander'
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Just put my sister on the plane at Glasgow airport after her visit. Who would have thought that a month wasn't quite enough time? :thinks: :tantrum: My garden is going to be beautiful, as we were able to work in it together, and she has very green fingers.

Anyway, a :tea: and :cake: and then need to see what I've been missing here on the forum! :ribbit:
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

:wave: Hello! Haven't been on here in some time, so I thought I'd pop in for a :coffee:

My stitchy bug seems to have disappeared for a bit. My guinea pig who had surgery last fall needed surgery again a few months ago for the same condition. Just as he was getting fully recovered, a different one passed away unexpectedly. Losing two pets within six months is really tough anyway (we lost one right after the new year too), but this was out of nowhere, which made it even harder. He was fine one day, and the next we came home from work to him having a medical emergency. I've been feeling a lot of guilt, wondering if there was something I'd missed, or what I could have done differently. He was the first one we ever got (and the best cuddler out of the bunch) so the house seems lonely without him.

On top of that, I may be developing carpal tunnel or some other repetitive motion issue, so that's limiting my stitchy time when I actually do feel like picking it up.

I've enjoyed checking up on what other people are stitching--such a variety of wonderful projects going :applesauce: Once I figure out Flickr, I'll post some updates of what I managed to get done before the stitchy bug vanished. Photobucket makes me want to pull my hair out, so time to move on. And it looks like I'm not the only one having issues with PB, which makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for letting me vent :)
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I'm so sorry to hear about your guinea pigs, it's awful to lose a pet, especially unexpectedly :hug:

Hope the carpal tunnel can be improved soon and you'll be able to pick up a needle again!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:I'm so sorry to hear about your guinea pigs, it's awful to lose a pet, especially unexpectedly :hug:

Hope the carpal tunnel can be improved soon and you'll be able to pick up a needle again!
It's never easy to lose our fur babies or feathered babies and I'm so sorry to hear about your guinea pigs!! Sending hugs your way. Hoping you are able to get the carpal tunnel resolved and that you will soon be able to stitch again. Welcome back!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

Thank you Mabel and Karen. I'm looking forward to being able to pick up a needle again. :D
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
poppy

Post by poppy »

So sorry to hear about your guinea pigs.
I hope that you can stitch again soon.

As I used photobucket, last night, a large blue "virus screen " appeared. Our son fixed it, saying that it was a scam. They wanted us to phone a number. I really do not like photobucket any more either!
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
kingfisher68(2)

Post by kingfisher68(2) »

Sorry to hear about your pets Cavy Mom & hope you feel better soon. It is always hard when a pet goes but harder when a 2nd pet goes soon after. Look forward to seeing your stitching when you feel up to starting it again. Take care
Izzi

If you believe you can you wil

Finished 2017
Pleasant Row Cottages
Kingfisher & flowers
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

Oh no, I'm so sorry Cavy. Losing a cuddly pet especially is very difficult.

On the strain issue, I've had that for years, if you tend to hunch like me, it may be a neck issue. If you can get a massage or lie flat on a relatively firm surface for about 15 minutes every day, that helps me a lot. Also, if I lean against someone who has their hands brace on my shoulders to straighten them out, that can make a huge difference for me. I hope that helps.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:hug: Oh Cavy, I am so sorry to hear about your fur baby. It is never easy to lose a loved and loving pet. Hope the carpal tunnel gets better soon. Starting up slowly might be the best way to ease back into stitching.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Here are the little guys. The first one is Andy, and the second one is Hercules.

Also, thanks for the tip about straightening everything out if you hunch, tiffstitch. I definitely start hunching when I'm at the computer, so I'll have to try that for sure :D
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

What lovely guys they are!! :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:D :D They are truly adorable!!!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Can I be cross? :tantrum:

One of the locations for Outlander is about 2 miles from here and is, indeed, a magical place. But you wouldn't believe the selfish people. :x It's on a working livestock farm, but do "location collectors" take the lambs and ewes into consideration? Or worry about bringing disease onto the farm? They do not. There is a flight of wet and slimy steps (laid before 1860) down to the burn that runs through the narrow glen, and who pays the insurance if someone has an accident? That would be the farmer. Who goes down and leaves all their rubbish for the farmer to clear away? That would be (some of) the "location collectors". Who has taken to painting their initials on stones and leaving them scattered around the steep sides of the gorge? You guessed it. And who, I've recently heard, has started to carve their initials into the actual gorge rock? Yup. :evil: :evil: :evil:

They come for the atmosphere. Why can't people leave things as they find them??
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Ranting is definitely on the agenda there!! What a crying shame that film makers and 'hangers on' have to make their mark on beautiful locations.

There have been so many incidence of wanton destruction around film locations and this sounds like another example!! There was the same around the 'Skyfall' film location wasn't there. :tantrum:
No common sense!

When my daughter lived in Holmfirth (the setting for 'Last of the Summer Wine' there were many complains about people leaving litter and graffiti.

A soothing dram or two needed here I think! :?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

wendywombat wrote:A soothing dram or two needed here I think! :?
Hear hear! Why do people feel they can use the great outdoors as their litter bin? I have seen people actually open their car doors at a stop sign and empty out their ash-tray/bag of rubbish, then just drive on. What possesses these people :shock: :shock: ? And although care and consideration for one's surroundings should be standard behaviour whatever the place, it's even more shocking when it is a) a beauty spot, b) someone else's property and c) endangering living creatures!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

I am sad for all of you who have lost pets.
I am glad for all of you who have gotten some new stash. I do my best to stitch my project list empty.
I think I could take a little :tea: and I wish you all lovely stitching moments!
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com
lavenderbees

Post by lavenderbees »

Sorry to hear about your pets CavyMom. Takes a while to get over the lose of a much loved pet as they leave a gap in your heart as well as in your life. Losing 2 in a short time is even harder :(

Hope you are feeling better in yourself & your health has improved :D
Lavender

stitching is beewitching
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

Thank you everybody for the kind wishes regarding my pet loss. Lavenderbees, I agree, one is hard, but two back to back really knocks the wind out of you. I still miss them both, but now, I'm at the point where I remember them with fondness, instead of just being sad. I've also been stitching again, which helps, and will post pictures when I remember to take them.
Serinde wrote:Can I be cross? :tantrum:
It's a late response, but yes! You can and should be :D I know exactly how you feel, there have been at least two instances that I recall here in the States where people intentionally toppled natural rock formations. It's so maddening. They've survived everything nature threw at them and someone decides it'll be fun to knock it over and prevent future visitors from seeing it. I'll never understand that.
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

While I sit here contemplating this stupid afghan, I'm trying to drink tea and remain calm.

If I never stitch another pansy again, it'll be too soon.

So, aside from horse pills, hot baths/showers, hot/cold patch and stretches... anyone got any ideas for round two of sciatica? :tantrum: