2017 Mini Projects

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

rcperryls

2017 Mini Projects

Post by rcperryls »

Here's where you can show off all those small but precious finishes! :dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Linda Rose

Re: 2017 Mini Projects

Post by Linda Rose »

My first finish of the year is this Biscornu. The pattern was a gift purchased for me from Etsy, called Juliet's Garden, from Rainburst Embroidery. Top and bottom are identical. Weeks Dye Works were used for the gilly flowers and their stems and leaves. Before finishing I visited my LNS and got great advice (better than found elsewhere) re finishing which can be found on this blog.

http://gittas-kathrin.blogspot.ca/2011/ ... anada.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Linda
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Lovely colours and a very neat finish!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Oh! I love making biscornu!! That's lovely I like those colours together. :applesauce:
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

It is picture perfect!!! I love it!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

That's gorgeous! I have a pattern for a biscornu, I've always wanted to make one. I'll have to check out that tutorial. I love the colors on yours, it's really beautiful.

Edit: thought I couldn't find my jar lids photo but I found it. :) Here's what I spend my evenings doing:

I also finally figured out how to make them puffy, which I'm absolutely thrilled about! I'm not sure what I'll do with them, though. I have an email from Leisure Arts allowing me to sell up to 10 of each design (except for Disney & Precious Moments) at a craft fair or etsy. I'm not so confident though that people would actually buy them! So I may just end up filling them all with M&Ms or homemade chex mix and giving them away at the holidays. I can't seem to stop making them though, they're such a perfect size and I love actually finishing a project.

Michelle
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

@Linda Rose: That biscornu is absolutely gorgeous. The colours! Was the central button part of the design, or did you find that separately? It's very attractive.

@Michelle: You just keep making them, then. Perfect for presents, and everyone loves foodie gifts, don't they? You could always branch out to include, oh, Easter... :bunny: :bunny:
Mabel Figworthy

Those jars are great! Is it because of the way the lid is constructed that the stitching fits in so neatly? As for puffing them up, I'd probably put a bit of wadding behind them, is that what you do as well?
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Those jars are great! Is it because of the way the lid is constructed that the stitching fits in so neatly? As for puffing them up, I'd probably put a bit of wadding behind them, is that what you do as well?
The lids are the traditional canning lids so I wrap the fabric around the lid insert, then it just pops right into the part that screws onto the jar. I use craft batting to make them puffy, and then I have a circle of colored fabric (usually green or red, since most of them are Christmas lids) to hide the back of the lid.

There's one Easter & a Valentine's lid in that photo! They're so much fun and don't take long to complete.

Michelle
Michelle

fccs

Post by fccs »

Those are great! A couple years ago I bought a dozen pretty blue Mason jars with the intention of stitching lids. Have I done them all? No. Have I done any? Heck no. My intentions were good, however, so I get points for that, right?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mabel Figworthy

Does anyone know whether you can get these in the UK? Mason jars seem to be rather a US thing but there must be a UK equivalent I would have thought :thinks: :thinks:
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Does anyone know whether you can get these in the UK? Mason jars seem to be rather a US thing but there must be a UK equivalent I would have thought :thinks: :thinks:
I'm sure there are. I just searched amazon for "canning jar UK" and this came up:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Garden- ... 469&sr=1-2" target="_blank

Sounds like maybe they're just called something different? You can buy mason jars at crafting stores but they're expensive... I buy regular "canning jars" -- same thing -- by the box at one of those big discount box stores for a lot less.
Michelle

Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Does anyone know whether you can get these in the UK? Mason jars seem to be rather a US thing but there must be a UK equivalent I would have thought :thinks: :thinks:
Go to Lakeland and search for Ball Mason jars.
Mabel Figworthy

Thanks both!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mabel Figworthy

Ouch - the Lakeland ones are a lot more expensive!

By the way Michelle, what size jars do you use and what is the size of the lid (how big a bit of stitching can you get in?)
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:Ouch - the Lakeland ones are a lot more expensive!

By the way Michelle, what size jars do you use and what is the size of the lid (how big a bit of stitching can you get in?)
I use all sized jars, whatever I can find but mostly quart size, because the original plan was to fill with homemade chex mix for gifts. More chex mix is always a good idea so I bought 2 dozen of those jars. I also have about a dozen pint sizes.

For the wide-mouth lids, I can get a design in that's 3" x 3". I will find ones that are bigger, meant for ornaments (like the cardinal in the top of the photo) that was closer to 4" but I stitched over 1 on 22 ct. It barely fits. There are a couple smaller lids - those are about 2 to 2.5 inches.

For the patterns I have a handful that are specifically for jar lids from Leisure Arts. The others are patterns meant to be ornaments or coasters, I've just used different sized fabric counts to make them fit. Or whatever sorts of designs I can find that are about 3" circles. :) I also have patterns that include things like flowers or a butterfly, whatever, and just ignore everything else around it. Whatever works!! I've taken up embroidery recently again as well, and have some ideas for hand-drawn designs that I can use for jar lids. I don't know if I'll get that creative. We'll see how it goes.
Michelle

Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

Serinde wrote:@Linda Rose: That biscornu is absolutely gorgeous. The colours! Was the central button part of the design, or did you find that separately? It's very attractive.

@Michelle: You just keep making them, then. Perfect for presents, and everyone loves foodie gifts, don't they? You could always branch out to include, oh, Easter... :bunny: :bunny:
I found the button in a local fabric store. It was my 5th purchase. I was never very happy with what I had found before. The Biscornu was pattern only, not a kit.
Linda
Linda Rose

Post by Linda Rose »

isaacson72 wrote:That's gorgeous! I have a pattern for a biscornu, I've always wanted to make one. I'll have to check out that tutorial. I love the colors on yours, it's really beautiful.

Edit: thought I couldn't find my jar lids photo but I found it. :) Here's what I spend my evenings doing:

I also finally figured out how to make them puffy, which I'm absolutely thrilled about! I'm not sure what I'll do with them, though. I have an email from Leisure Arts allowing me to sell up to 10 of each design (except for Disney & Precious Moments) at a craft fair or etsy. I'm not so confident though that people would actually buy them! So I may just end up filling them all with M&Ms or homemade chex mix and giving them away at the holidays. I can't seem to stop making them though, they're such a perfect size and I love actually finishing a project.

Michelle
These are very beautiful and would be welcomed as gifts for sure. I also have no doubt you could sell them. They really do dress up a mason jar.
Linda
agi

Post by agi »

I love that biscornu, so delicate. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

And the jar lids are such a fun idea, would be great as presents. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:

This is my latest mini: a silicon case for my i-phone. Used a feee pattern and modified it a bit to fit.

Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Those jars are super!!! They make great little gifts. :applesauce:

@ Agi, that phone case is wonderful...did you stitch into the silicone case?