Printed Vs Counted

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Clairabell

Printed Vs Counted

Post by Clairabell »

Hi everyone, hope you're all ok.

Ever since learning to Cross Stitch, I have only ever done Counted. However, sometimes I have noticed people talk about printed cross stitch, where the pattern is printed on to the material.

Are there many of you that use the printed method (not really quote sure what to call it), or do most prefer counted?

Just curious, as I never knew there were printed ones available until joining this site. :D

Claire x
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Printed Vs Counted

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've never done any but have recently been given two by my eldest step-son's girlfriend, so I'm hoping to have a go over the Christmas period - I'll let you know how I get on!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've never tried printed. I once tried a tapestry on printed canvas and gave up in disgust! :doh: I couldn't get the stitches where I wanted them. :tantrum: I did a counted tapestry after and that was much better. This was some years back so perhaps the printing process has improved.
I rather like having a blank piece of fabric an making the picture grow before me :dance:

I'll be interested to see how you get on both of you. :D
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Years ago, I stitched an embroidery sampler which was on a printed fabric. There were a lot of different stitches including cross stitch. It was the first piece of needlework that I did. Then I did some crewel work which was also printed. The kits (usually I think these are in kits) are called Stamped Cross Stitch vs the Counted Cross Stitch, which most of us stitch. We have some members who prefer the stamped versions and they have stitched some very pretty pieces. Like Wendy, I prefer the counted type which I think provides more variety and like most everything comes down to personal preferences.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Purple Patsy

Post by Purple Patsy »

I have done some old stamped cross stitch designs many years ago, where the placing of the crosses was set by a blue cross transferred to a close weave cloth and it was stitched with a sharp needle and was akin to traditional embroidery. (eg satin stitch).

From what I've seen recently online the current trend for stamped cross stitch is completely different from this and tends to be worked on Aida and have the different areas coloured in very differently, rather than just an indication of where to place the stitch. I believe the design is stitched fully then the piece is washed to remove all trace of the coloured backgroung shades as they bear little or no relation to the final thread colour.

I too mainly do counted designs but I'd be curious to see more of the stamped work. :D
WIPs
The Astronomer (HaED)
Gamer Nouveau (Gecko Rouge)
Woodland Enchantress (Dimensions)
Sagi No Mai (Maia)

Finishes on forum
Starry Night with TARDIS 12 Aug 2016 -27 June 2017
Royal Holiday
fccs

Post by fccs »

I really only do counted now, but years ago (decades, perhaps??) I did some stamped cross stitch baby blankets. They were fun and turned out really cute, but I definitely prefer the counted.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
xstitchalanna

Post by xstitchalanna »

My first project ever was printed/stamped. I am working on one right now that was given to me for UFO week, but I can't stand it. I poke my finger with the sharp needle, you can see the print under the stitches, the stitches aren't even. Plus I don't find the stamped designs appeal to me in the least. But that is just me. If you want to try one, may I suggest a small one just to see if you like it. :)
Working on QS Phantom of the Opera from HAED for their challenge #4
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

With stamped/printed, you do what's on the fabric. Fixed by the manufacturer.

Counted is fixed by the chart. The chart maker can be you.

Thus counted can be more flexible and you can do it at home. It's unlikely that you'll be able to print on the fabric at home.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

The ones you buy from china are colour printed onto 11 count, which then washes out afterwards. They are pretty easily followed due to the smaller count. Whether it washes out I have no idea. I bought one by accident and started it but found it too hard on my fingers as it's four over one. Also most of them are copyright violations....

Personally if I want to do something Like that and not have to count I'd rather the "5D diamond painting" also being careful of copyright....no counting, just sticking little tiles onto a sticky cross stitch chart......mindless fun....

Half the fun of cross stitch imo is the counting......

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I started a stamped cross stitch once, but it annoyed me. First, I don't prefer aida and as has already been mentioned, the stamped designs are on aida. I don't like the look of the giant stitches on 11-count and I'm always leery of anything out of China, as Nikki mentioned, they have their own ideas of copyright over there. However, I've seen folks do lovely work on a stamped design and the stamp washed out completely when the instructions are followed. I prefer counted. If stamped is all there was available, I would most likely have another hobby.

WIP
Clairabell

Post by Clairabell »

Thank you for confirming that its called 'stamped'.... I think I knew what it was called, but yesterday when I first posted, my brain was on another planet :tizzy:

I was curious, as before joining this site, I had never heard of stamped, and didn't even know it existed.

Every day is a school day - apparently. :)
sarclanat

Post by sarclanat »

I done stamped a long while ago, much prefer the counted I gave been doing for the past 25 years non stop, was taught many years ago by my maternal grandmother
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

I do quite a bit of stamped pieces in the form of pillowcases and baby bibs. I make them for gifts. They relax me. They don't take quite as much focus as counted in my opinion. I love doing them!
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
ecology665

Post by ecology665 »

I prefer the counted to the stamped. It's much easier to work with, at least for me.

:wip:
In the Garret
Marilyn Monroe
Audrey Hepburn