Any suggestions for Christmas stockings?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Brody0

Any suggestions for Christmas stockings?

Post by Brody0 »

Hello, all. I'm looking to make some Christmas stockings for my family, and am thinking of these as the life-long stockings my husband and I (and eventually children) will use. I know there are 100's of kits and patterns out there for Christmas stockings, but wondering if any of you have specific suggestions for quality... anyone seen some and your reaction was, "these could be heirloom pieces." ? Not trying to set too high a bar, of course... LOL.

I really enjoy working with the Dimensions kits, but know nothing about the quality of the actual stockings vs. the lovely patterns.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Midge

Re: Any suggestions for Christmas stockings?

Post by Midge »

I haven't done a cross stich stocking but, I have completed several of the Bucilla felt applique ones (and a tree skirt)
They are relatively expensive here in the UK but well worth it. The detail on them is superb and the beaded/sequinned parts are festive without being gaudy. Almost everyone who visits over the festive period comments in a positive, sometimes gushing way. Our children are fairly well grown up now but they still love their stockings and want to hang them in the fireplace.
2022 is yet another year of the UFO!!
Great Wall of China,
Peacocks and Pheasants,
Birds of a feather,
Hardanger Table runner,
TW Peacock Tapestry,
Milennium Sampler,
Yes, they are all STILL in progress!
fccs

Post by fccs »

I would try looking at books that have several charts. This is an example:

http://www.123stitch.com/item/Leisure-A ... ion/LA4819" target="_blank

I've made about 11 stockings and am close to finishing the 12th.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

What stocking you stitch depends on the recipient.You don't have to use an actual stocking pattern.Any design that you really love that can fit into a stocking shape will work.
I stitched a dragon with a pile of gifts for my son.For his wife a black and white cat surrounded by Poinsettias(from a magazine)I did Britty Kitty's cat Christmas tree for DD.For DDs partner who is a chef I did an old design of a chef in a kitchen with elf helpers.For DDs father in law a moose golfing(he is addicted to golf) for her MIL shoes and bags scattered all over a stocking.It's a standing joke that she can smell a shoe or bag shop at three miles!
For my only grandchild I did a Santa train,but now that he is coming up 9 I will need to make something a little more adult.
I will do one for myself,probably Just Nan's Burgundy Bouquet..I have always loved it.
Stocking stitching can become an addiction.Have fun
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
CavyMom

Post by CavyMom »

I've done four stockings from Dimensions kits (three of them were Gold Collection) and was very pleased with how they turned out. If you like doing Dimensions kits in general, I think you'll be happy with their stockings. The one thing to keep in mind is that the kit comes with felt for making the back of the stocking, which I didn't like, so I bought a different fabric to make the back.
WIPs
Rocky Point
Frosty Snowman
Living Ocean
Faith ornament
willow

Post by willow »

Joan Elliott does some nice ones x