Advice about gridding

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

poppy

Advice about gridding

Post by poppy »

I gridded my last project, which was on 14 Aida, following this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6mWyo4z10

I used the sulky thread , which she recommends.
It was very helpful to have my work gridded.

Now I am working on evenweave and tried to grid the whole fabric before stitching but I kept miscalculating, so gave up :(
I see so many intricate and beautiful work on here and am puzzled to see that the gridding is just partial on the fabric ( ie: just where is stitching is being done)
Also, on the video, the lady goes " over 8, under 2". On many projects, on here, the gridding is different. Just the "corners" of the 10 x 10 squares show.

Could you please advise me to how to do that? :)
Hélène

Finished: Joan Elliott. Rainbow Fairy
Fit Kit by Peter Underhill
The Choir by Peter Underhill
Angel Of The Morning by Lavender & Lace

Best of Friends by Mabel Lucie Attwell
richardandtracy

Re: Advice about gridding

Post by richardandtracy »

I can advise on what I do, but not sure I can advise on anyone else's method.

I do not do the whole thing, as my pictures are rather large & I'd get soooo bored doing it all at the beginning.
I tend to work on 28ct evenweave, 2 over 1, which is a bit small. So, I outline the page I'm working on with pink thread and grid inside that with 2lb breaking strain red fishing line. 4lb might be better, but 15lb is too big.

The stitches I do on the perimeter, with thread, are done as follows: Find the '0' stitch line of holes and bring the thread up through this, move 5 holes and take the thread to the back of the fabric, then count 5 holes and come up through at the '10's' stitch line. And so on across the page, then do the same all the way round the page. Then you have an outline of the page.
Now with the fishing line, I go horizontally at every row of **0/*10/*20/*30 etc stitches. Once again have the line coming to the front of the fabric at the '**0' holes, and diving through to the back at the '**5' holes. That way I never have more than 5 holes to count up/down and 3 along to find a location point. It's shown below:
The bright red is actually 15lb fishing line, and too stiff for sensible use. None the less you can see the pink page outline, pink centreline & the red dashes. All stitches give the same horizontal/vertical location info too, as they all align with the chart 0,0.

Hope this helps a little

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I use a washable, water soluble ink pen and draw the grid on the fabric. I generally just grid larger projects (like the HAEDs I stitch) that I am stitching 1 over 1 full cross or 2 over 1 tent stitch. The fabrics are 25 or 28 ct evenweave. I've never had any trouble with the gridlines not washing out. More trouble with it wearing out. I don't grid the whole fabric but focus on the page I am stitching and will go several columns into the next page and several rows down on the page beneath. I find this keeps me from making counting errors most of the time.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
poppy

Post by poppy »

Thank you both, Richard and Carole for addressing my issue.

Richard, thank you for the photo, which helps a lot. I read your post three times and I have got it now! Counting in 5 is much easier than 10 on evenweave. I will have a go.

Carole, thank you too for taking the time to read and to respond. I was a bit nervous using a pen, in case it would not wash out but you answered that question. It is amazing how one can keep learning, even with x-stitch! :D

You both stitch tiny stitches : 2 over 1 and 1 over 1 ! The finished picture must be so fine and wonderful.
Hélène

isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

I've never gridded but then again I've only ever done one big project and it wasn't like a HAED where it's 100% stitches, there was quite a lot of blank space so gridding wasn't needed. Everything since then was smaller but I do want to learn how to do it it. I have about 2 or 3 more mason jar lids to finish for friends and then I'm starting on a HAED ornament. Still smallish (6" x 6") but I will try gridding anyway just for fun. I like the washable marker idea - I think I'll try that.
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
poppy

Post by poppy »

We will learn together, Michelle! Any HAED is quite a challenge, looking forward to see what you have chosen. :)
Hélène

isaacson72

Post by isaacson72 »

It's James Christensen's The Candlestick Man. I love it! Love all his work, actually. I have that one as an ornament, and his Faery Tales as a full-size pattern. I also had HAED make a max color of Cliffhanger (can't remember the artist off the top of my head).... don't know what I was thinking. I LOVE it, and I would love to do it, but it's so gigantic and max color??!?! There are something like 220 colors! Maybe when I retire. :)

I thought I'd try and grid the ornament... it's not very big but I might do it just to test it out! Yes, we can learn together!
Michelle
:ratherbe:

WIP: HAED Candlestick Man (ornament)
WIP: various, never-ending, mason jar lids
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

poppy wrote:Thank you both, Richard and Carole for addressing my issue.

...You both stitch tiny stitches : 2 over 1 and 1 over 1 ! The finished picture must be so fine and wonderful.
Yes, 28ct stitching is a bit small. Takes forever to make progress, but the results are worthwhile.
With my 'Honeymoon Portrait' I once took it to a craft fair (trying to sell my services making charts) and had a 3 minute argument with a gentleman over whether it was stitched or printed. It was only when someone from the audience to this 'event' produced a magnifying glass that the matter was settled. That was when a little argument started over whether it was machine stitched or hand stitched... :doh:

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

isaacson72 wrote:It's James Christensen's The Candlestick Man. I love it! Love all his work, actually.
Michelle, have you seen the post from Michele from HAED that since Christensen's passing, they are not sure of the licensing arrangement regarding his work. She suggests that if there are any charts in particular that you love. I've had his "Two Sisters" on my Wish List for a long time and now that I saw there is a mini, I'm considering getting it. Unfortunately, I just looked at my wish list and wondered about a few others.
:oops:

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
agent_clone

Post by agent_clone »

Personally I grid with a red Gutermann Sulky Thread. It is essentially 2 under, 6 above, 2 under. But it ends up being 6 above, and 4 under for all but the start and end of the thread. I also generally mark out the middle line of the project.

That way you can count with the warp and weft in the evenweave as well (so for example you only need to count when the warp is above the weft.

e.g.
Curent WIP:
The Butterfly Ball
Mini Heaven On Earth
Mini Japan Garden

Finishes:
Kitten Fairy on Mushroom (2015-12-31)
poppy

Post by poppy »

richardandtracy wrote:With my 'Honeymoon Portrait' I once took it to a craft fair (trying to sell my services making charts) and had a 3 minute argument with a gentleman over whether it was stitched or printed.
This is a truly amazing Portrait!
agent_clone wrote:t is essentially 2 under, 6 above, 2 under. But it ends up being 6 above, and 4 under for all but the start and end of the thread. I also generally mark out the middle line of the project.
Thank you for the explanation and photo to back it up. I am now ready to give it a go....
Hélène