Had a tiny bit of Snow..

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Had a tiny bit of Snow..

Post by richardandtracy »

And this morning the garden looked an absolute picture. This was looking up at the top of our garden from near the kitchen just after sunrise this morning:
The bank is about 30ft high and on a 1 in 3 slope (18 degrees, 33% for those as prefer different units).

Does anyone else have some photos?

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
Mabel Figworthy

Re: Had a tiny bit of Snow..

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Nothing to match yours, Richard - what a beauty!

Mine would show a small rather badly kept lawn mercifully covered with a thin blanket of snow which is dented with mad-dash cat paw prints...
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
nannyrainbow

Post by nannyrainbow »

Yesterdays BBC news item including a few pics around Wales

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43203777" target="_blank

Llyn Vyrnwy -6 but with windchill -13.

Internet on blink past few days due to icy weathr.
Del
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

More that just a few flakes there Richard!! :lol:

Beautiful but cold eh? Bet those cats are enjoying it!! :roll:

We were in the UK again this w/end....looks like we escaped just in time! :wink:
richardandtracy

Wendy,

The different reactions of the cats has been interesting.
Our 7/8 Maine Coon ‘Rooster’ was offended that someone had modified his garden without his permission, and shot out looking for the perpetrator of the offense. After not finding any culprit, Rooster just bounded about, taking great leaps and going 'flump' in the snow, sometimes on his paws, on his tummy or side, enjoying himself immensely. He came in after a couple of hours with his whole undercarriage thick with clumped ice.
Our 100% Main Coon ‘Ozzie’ bounded out, tail high in the air, playing in the snow, exploring all the new and different spaces created.
Our very prim & proper Norwegian Forest Cat ‘Fluffy’ minced out, went to the loo & minced back in utter disgust, swearing loudly and shaking his paws at every step.
Our Heinz 57 domestic moggie ‘Squeaky’ was happy to sit on the window cill and stay in the warm, looking superior at the other cats getting cold.

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

@rotfl:
:kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :kitty: :

Just wonderful, Richard! I can just see the expression on 'Fluffy's face ...and I bet he let you know just how disgruntled he felt.
As for 'Rooster' make sure you get his permission for changing his space in plenty of time...and display the notice for him to see. :D
Last edited by wendywombat on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Lovely pictures. Have to admit that after a snowfall, everything looks so clean and pretty. I can picture your cats and it made me smile. Laverne is an indoor cat, but does have a "catio" my DH built for the felines when we first moved into the house. (Did I ever get a screened in porch?). After a colder than usual winter, Laverne has been able to take her morning and afternoon naps in the cation in the sun. This morning has turned colder but she demanded her window be open. One nose stuck outside and the dirty look I got because I obviously hadn't turned the heat on, was really ugly. I think I will be paying for that later.

Carole
:tizzy:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Wow that is a lot of snow Richard! We have had snow here in Hertfordshire but not as much as you. I think the worst is still to come though.... :snowman:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

What a beautiful photo!!! Love reading your description of your furbabies reactions to it!! Very entertaining!!!
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

daisymay

Post by daisymay »

Had several inches overnight & more during the day which came in flurries. Jet went out for a comfort break, chased a few birds & also some flakes but when it came down heavier he tore down the garden & back indoors for food refuelling & a good long sleep. Flurry lasted a short time but by then he was fast asleep snoring!

Electric, Internet & TV intermittent. Good books read by torches & battery lamps keep us occupied. We are lucky, as I stocked up with foood in case it was as bad as forecasted.

Take care & keep warm & safe. Hope all welllll
Daisy :)
richardandtracy

There is definitely more to come here, but not until Friday afternoon. I do hope the rest of the country can cope. My thoughts go out particularly to Scotland and the South West. There are warnings of 15" average in the Scottish central belt. That will inevitably drift.

At the top of the garden the snow had drifted to about 18" deep, but nearer the house it was a mere 9".
This morning people at work recorded -10C while in their cars. I walked in to work - much harder today after the snow ploughs had dumped a roads worth of snow on the footpath.

Regards

Richard.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Oh, yes. My, my but we are having snow. Red Warning! :shock: It snowed all afternoon and now it's snowing again. I suspect we (currently) have about 8" in the garden, more drifted up against the back door (faces straight east :roll: ) and it looks beautiful. No problems with services (electricity, that is), and in any case we are pretty much prepared for anything in this part of the world. Snug as proverbials. This is what it looked like outside at about 5pm. There's a lot more now.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I am feasting my eyes on all that lovely lovely cold looking snow while I try to cool down from the current 28.4c Thank you Richard and Serinde, I will carry those pictures with me during another hot day in the sub tropics.

:whoop: Loved the descriptions of the various cats to the snow all over their yards and can just imagine those that had a play in it. I am sure HM Tuppence would disdain to even go out into it, I mean a little bit of rain and he rushes inside to get dried off.

Carole I am sure Miss Lavern will tell what is what later on for not turning on the heat outside for her.

Keep the photos coming friends, you are helping at least one person keep cooler.

Stay safe everyone.
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Beautiful photo's Richard and Serinde, we are due snow here in the south west today and tomorrow so I very much doubt I will be working on Friday as I work in a school and we are already on half day today so I'm hoping to be busy building snowmen this weekend. :snowman:
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

And this morning. I reckon we have at least a foot, judging by the back holly hedge.
It's still snowing...

richardandtracy

That's ... wow.
You've had a lot of drifting and a lot of snow too.

Stay in & stay safe.

Regards

Richard
Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

Oh my Goodness :shock:

That is definitely not weather to go out in I hope it doesn't stay like that for too long Serinde, keep safe.
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

:cold: Thanks for the piccies Serinde...I saw that there was a RED warning for your area. Wow! Enough to make more than one :snowman: then!! :shock: :shock:

We had some flakes yesterday and a biting wind from the North, then it whipped round to a southerly, rained hard all night and is a heady 9C this morning. :shock:

Take care everyone!
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Serinde, your snow looks positively sculptural!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Yes, it is beautiful in that way. Just goes to show how hard the wind is blowing. And the snow is too dry for snowballs or snowmen or even sledging, WW. :(

But few cars. Hurrah!

Dr Zhivago'ed up to the local shop, and in some places the snow was up to my knees. I think there are now about 15" in the garden. Checked on one elderly neighbour, who's fine and well provisioned. Oh, and it's still snowing.

Some more sculptural effects on the garden benches. Younger Son's picea is entirely covered with snow (first time since, oh, 1995?). I was thinking about cutting the raspberries down this weekend. :lol: See the cold frame in the top left corner? That's how much snow there is... :P