Have you ever done a stocking?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

shadyglade

Have you ever done a stocking?

Post by shadyglade »

So I got this idea into my head somehow late last night that I wanted to stitch new stockings for everyone in my family. So if any of you out there have done a cross stitch stocking before, any recommendations/suggestions? What should I be on the lookout for?

And about how long did it take you? I know I'm a slow stitcher comparatively speaking to many in this forum, but I would like a general idea of how long it might take.
fccs

Re: Have you ever done a stocking?

Post by fccs »

I've done several stockings (you can see them in my gallery). I think the secret to a good stocking is to find a design that will have a special meaning to the recipient. There are tons of designs out there so I'm sure you will find the perfect one for each person.

It's been awhile since I've done one and don't remember how long it took me, plus some are more intricate than others. My suggestion...go for it. They'll be treasured forever.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
shadyglade

Post by shadyglade »

So another thought that occured to me, I assume sewing (like on a machine) is involved. Are they usually pretty complicated to put together? My sewing skills are pretty rudimentary. :)
felicity53

Post by felicity53 »

I've not done a stocking yet but my friend minij has. My advise is to give yourself plenty of time to complete it. If not, as Christmas approaches ......PANIC! lol
fccs

Post by fccs »

Yep, sewing is involved, but it's pretty simple. I cut out the stocking shape giving about a 1-2" seam allowance (can be trimmed later) and then use that as the pattern for the back and the lining. I sew the lining as a stocking, then sew the back to the front stitched area, turn right-side out, tucking the lining in (also right-side out) and whip stitch the top. Oh, and I stick a loop in there as I whip stitch.

I agree with felicity53...give yourself time for the finishing. Like I said, it's simple but if under pressure, things can easily go wrong. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Starlet83

Post by Starlet83 »

Thanks so much for this advice. About to do mine now - feeling nervous as a novice!