For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lillybit

Re: Avatar name?

Post by lillybit »

Ooops avatar ? Well haven't yet worked out how to do that - Will probably need the skills of my 12 yr old great grandson to help with that.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

lillybit wrote:I'm the eldest of a family of 4. 2 pre war and 2 post war. Lillybit was the best my sister (6 years younger than me) could do with my name, Elizabeth, and it has stuck. Being short on imagination it was the first to come to mind when I needed an on line name.
I love it.

I'm the youngest of 5, but my sister wasn't so fond of how I said her name. It called her Assy.
fccs

Post by fccs »

19Roland19 wrote:
I'm the youngest of 5, but my sister wasn't so fond of how I said her name. It called her Assy.
@rotfl: @rotfl:
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
lillybit

Post by lillybit »

As I have read back through this thread I did a bit of a giggle when people spoke about there being no computers. I managed a large NGO and the board come across the potentiol of computers and decided to send me and my deputy on a course to see if we were suitable to be trained in computers !!! I failed but left that job soon after. Then encountered computers in a small voluntary job as I tried to rejoin the work force and bought my own soon after. My first computer ran on windows 3.1 and there was no internet - then bulitin boards came about. I still struggle with computers (this is my 5th) and recently was bailed out by my 12 yr old greatgranson who told me I was B dangerous using a computer. I did sriouslt think of calling myself Dangerous but would have struggled to justify the title ! Perhaps i can get him to help me find a scary avatar?
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:lol: Thanks for the giggle Lillybit. I too have been "bailed out" but by my 5yr old grand daughter!!!! Rather interesting having her show me how to do something! They teach em young these days. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Clairabell

Post by Clairabell »

Well, I am the youngest of 3 girls. Growing up, my mom found that everyone would shorten their names. So, 13 years after my middle sister was born, I came along as a huge surprise and a bit of a mistake (my mom says I was the best mistake she ever made - aww). So it was decided I would be given a name that couldn't be shortened - hence Claire.
However, instead everyone adds to it, and now a lot of people call me clairabell - including my step daughter who calls it me when I have done something wrong lol. :)
Tia

Post by Tia »

Tia is Spanish for aunt. I first used it many years ago when I first became an aunt. It's just kind of followed me around ever since.
ener23

Post by ener23 »

I'm the youngest of 3. When I was born my brother (2 at the time) couldn't say my name so Ener is what I was called by my family ever since. And the 23 is my birthday :D
Erin

Completed
Little Sports Birth Record
Frog Boquet

WIP
Bless Us, O' Lord
Kibakyu

Post by Kibakyu »

I have been affected my Japanese art, culture and language for a great many years (thus the Japanese/Asian Studies degree) so my current avatar name is actually a mix of my two favorite Japanese anime characters, Kiba + Byakuya = Kibakyu. My avatar is a piece I stitched earlier this year that took about a month of a Japanese pagoda. Very fun stuff!
WIP
Mighty Samurai (large)

~~~~ 好きにしろ! (Do what you like) ~~~~
littlestar

Post by littlestar »

Little star: when I was a child I sang a lot. ;D I organised small concerts for my teddy bears, dolls and another. :P My mother always tells me that I'm a little star for her. :)
fccs

Post by fccs »

littlestar wrote:Little star: when I was a child I sang a lot. ;D I organised small concerts for my teddy bears, dolls and another. :P My mother always tells me that I'm a little star for her. :)
Cute story! Do you still have concerts for your toys? You can tell us, we won't tell anyone. :-)
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

littlestar wrote:Little star: when I was a child I sang a lot. ;D I organised small concerts for my teddy bears, dolls and another. :P My mother always tells me that I'm a little star for her. :)

I would have guessed your name came from this show.

http://youtu.be/qNmkijlvLQ8" target="_blank

My youngest loved the show, but was scared of the opening credits.
carolanne

Post by carolanne »

Just came across this. Lots of cute stories. I didn't do anything clever, just a slight variation of my name. Kuschelschaf: your little pic is a "little cuddly sheep", perfect.
loucee

Post by loucee »

Mine is very simple. First three letter of my first name, and my surname starts with C so that's where the cee comes from. I like the fact it sounds like a name in it's own right (Lucy, obviously) even though that's not my name. I definitely feel a connection to it, I use variations of it on other sites but this one's just vague enough to be safe while at the same time being a shortened version of my name to be "me".
MelindaH

Post by MelindaH »

My name is just my first name and last initial. I am a fan of Doctor Who, and I like to watch stuff from Hank Green and DFTBA Records. Thus, my picture is "Don't forget to be awesome" in Gallifreyan.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Mine is because I like lavender. My Gran always had them by her back door & I used to love smelling them as a small child. The name lavender on its own had been taken so needed something to add on to make it different & I do have lots of bees round my lavender own bushes in the summer :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

MelindaH wrote:My name is just my first name and last initial. I am a fan of Doctor Who, and I like to watch stuff from Hank Green and DFTBA Records. Thus, my picture is "Don't forget to be awesome" in Gallifreyan.
My new avatar picture is my first and middle names in Gallifreyan. (So, if you can read that language you can figure out my name. ;) )
beeeeeeeeth

Post by beeeeeeeeth »

This is a great post! I love to know the stories behind usernames :)
My user is my name, but with 8 'e's, because I'm a fan of the 80s... Geddit? I switch between two usernames for everything and I'd say they're definitely part of my identity.
My picture is just one I came across when looking for something to use! There's an annual balloon fiesta near me and they all come over my house. I took this picture out of my bedroom window :)
brandilynb

Post by brandilynb »

I am always curious about the story behind peoples usernames. Great question!

My username is very boring. It is my first name and the initial of my last name. I have a difficult time choosing usernames because usually what I want is taken. Even my name tends to be pretty popular in social media. I grew up thinking that I had an extremely unique name. Turns out it's more common than I thought. My first realization of this was in a Christian bookstore. I found an author, Brandilyn Collins. I immediately contacted her. She also grew up in the same delusion.
I don't currently have an avatar photo. I can't decide on one.
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Thank you for explaining. I have not heard of Brandilyn before but of course knew Lyn is a name. Could not work out the Brandi bit, no I did not think it was your favourite tipple & you sat drinking it throughout the day @rotfl: Thought maybe it had been your favourite pet's name 'cos that pet was the colour of Brandy but now I know :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them