For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Kuschelschaf

Re: Avatar name?

Post by Kuschelschaf »

fiddler wrote:This is fun. This was the first forum I joined and could not think of an avarar at first but when looking thriugh some old photos I came across a photo of a much loved uncle who always called me Fiddler dont know why, he made up nicknames for all the nephews and nieces. Decided to use it as it reminds me of him.

My Aunts did this as well. I was Gertrude. :lol:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

DAHHHHHHHHHH :roll: :roll: :roll: No brainer here. I have been doing cross stitching since July 1983, when I was preg with our 3 child, and I "love" talking about it. It's easy for me to remember this name. I use 1/2 of my middle name, along with crossstitcher, on my website, and on my game site, and my 1st name on B/H's e-mail addy, as we have the internet on the home phone, and his name is on the account.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

Well, mine is not all that interesting. Long ago, (in the 90's) when we first got the internet, I was told I shouldn't use my real name, so I used my nickname which is Angel...that worked for awhile but Angel is pretty common, so it got hard getting that name. I decided to change the spelling to the way it sounded (Ainjel), and I had to put some numbers with it, and my favorite number is 3, so I just added 333 (my favorite number x's 3) :lol:
My avatar is me, just without my glasses. I only just started using a real pic of me as 1. I hate having my pic taken, and 2. I just got facebook less than a yr ago, and most everyone uses there real pic, so I gave in and did so as well. I figure I may as well use it everywhere. (yes, I'm behind the times, facebook is new to me and I still don't know exactly how to use it all :lol: --I don't have a cell phone either :::gasp:::)
moonpie86

Post by moonpie86 »

Mine came about because my partners second name is Mooney so I call him moonpie :oops: also my daughter gets called mini moonpie and 86 is my year of birth :D my avatar is for my daughter who's middle name is Rose after my mums mum who sadly died when my mum was 5 so both very personal to me :)
W.I.P.S
Christmas cupcakes by bothy threads

ImageImage
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

What a great topic!

Name: I love Flanders & Swann and DH and I met on a F&S Forum (and were married by a fellow-member and another fellow-member sang at the wedding) so when I wanted a forum name it seemed obvious to choose something F&S related. I didn't fancy becoming known as the Hippopotamus :-) so I chose Mabel Figworthy, who is mentioned in one of their songs and in several of Michael Flanders' witty introductions. When I started my design business I got permission from the F&S estate to use the name for that as well.

Picture: my maiden name is Vermeer, and I have always loved the painting of "het Meisje met de Parel" (Girl with a pearl earring) so it seemed a good choice. (Before this I had a dopey alpaca and a sweet guinea pig as avatars)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Oh I like this thread! It's always interesting to hear how people picked their names.

I only use this one here (perftangel), I have been trying to keep my internet life and personal life separate, however I used this name way back in middle school on aim (anyone remember that?!) so it pops up on there, but I don't think I use it on any other websites.

I use another two much more commonly and they reflect my choice of animals (horses & cats) in the language I learned in high school. I think that's way more interesting and this one is.... :D

And my picture is just an ornament I finished last year... nothing interesting and it'll probably change at some point in the future. :)
starshine123102

Post by starshine123102 »

What a fun topic!

My name i've had since high school and use it on just about everything.....I'm noticing a trend here.

I originally chose it as a username for an online game (anyone remember neopets??) and it is based off of a 9th grade science project I had to do. Everyone in the class had to pick a satellite to present on and I picked Starshine because I liked the name and thought it was pretty.

The numbers come from a trip to Disneyworld I went on the same year with my high schools marching band. The group I was in got into trouble for not coming back in time to the meeting place on 12/31/02 because it was raining. We didn't realize that if it rained we had to come back, we just thought it was a place we could meet if we wanted to get out of the rain until we were scheduled to leave at midnight when the park closed. Anyway, they looked for us for 5 hours and when they finally found us, the entire group (kids and adults) were so mad at us and treated us horribly for the rest of the trip so we stuck together for the rest of the trip and in a fit of teenage temper tantrums, we refused to forgive everyone for being mean to us. and as a way to never forget, I added the numbers.

My avatar is Mickey because I absolutely LOVE Disney. We go every year (this time 3 times! - once to Disneyland, twice to world). This past year I got engaged there, I'm having a Disney themed wedding, and we are going to go to Disney Paris on our honeymoon. :D
Michelle
:ratherbe:

2016 FINISHES:
All Hallows Eve (Glendon Place)
Delightful Fruits - Grapes (CSN 3/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Apples
Delightful Fruits - Berries (CSN 5/2013)
Delightful Fruits - Pears

2017 WIP:
Christmas House
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

Just before I first registered on the forum I went on a team building session.

We were asked to describe our favourite animal in 3 words. Mine was grey, destructive and Ernie, so that's really where it came from.

The answer explains my picture, Ernie is the name I gave the 20inch high elephant ornament my OH brought me for my birthday the first year we were together, 13 years ago!!!
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

What a fun thread! I've really enjoyed learning about everyone's choices.

I really couldn't think of anything all that special to use, so I chose DH's nickname for me. And because I'm not very computer savy, I just grabbed a pic already in my computer for my avatar. I have a heck of a time posting pictures or I would have changed it by now! -lol

Anyway, I thought the penguins were cute and from the south pole so rather appropriate for living in "southern" california, near the beach...

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

It is really interesting reading through this post.

I decided to use Squirrel as my avatar because I am a hoarder of far too much 'stuff' and hate to throw anything out as "it might come on useful one day". Of course moving from NZ to Aus meant a big clear out and since then moving interestate meant another clear out, but I still hang on to a lot of 'stuff' which should be passed on somewhere else. :D
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

starshine123102 wrote:I originally chose it as a username for an online game (anyone remember neopets??) and it is based off of a 9th grade science project I had to do.
Oh neopets!!!! I actually just went and logged in again. Is it weird I was totally 18+ when I started to play...? :D (side note, clearly my neopets are dying)
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

perftangel wrote:...

I only use this one here (perftangel), I have been trying to keep my internet life and personal life separate, however I used this name way back in middle school on aim (anyone remember that?!) so it pops up on there, but I don't think I use it on any other websites.....
LOL Remember AIM? Yes, I remember AIM. When I was in middle school, there was no Internet yet. How many remember that?

WIP
meganh

Post by meganh »

Allyn wrote:
perftangel wrote:...

I only use this one here (perftangel), I have been trying to keep my internet life and personal life separate, however I used this name way back in middle school on aim (anyone remember that?!) so it pops up on there, but I don't think I use it on any other websites.....
LOL Remember AIM? Yes, I remember AIM. When I was in middle school, there was no Internet yet. How many remember that?
Haaaahaaaa :D :D :D Yes I remember neo pets,my kids loved them!!!! and here's one better, I remember no computers (yea dating myself :D :D

I have always used my name,it sounds silly but it makes me think about what i write online if my name is attached to it . What a fun thread.
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I'm Ruth nowadays, but I was Ruthi in my youth!

And my avatar is the late and much lamented Tiger. I miss him every day, he was my Chief Silly Dog, joint Best Dog at our wedding, and utterly loyal through all the bad times, and the good times too.

Allyn

Post by Allyn »

meganh wrote:.... and here's one better, I remember no computers (yea dating myself :D :D
You'll have to do better than that. :) My first computer class in high school was dumb terminals and punch cards. . so yeah, no computers, no cell phones, no Internet. . .. just three channels on a black and white TV (that you had to get up and cross the room to change the channel) for me growing up. Oh! Oh! and party lines on one of those fancy rotary phones. :) Young people have it so easy nowadays.

WIP
mechie

Post by mechie »

What a cool topic. You can really learn a lot about people from the name they chose and why they chose it. :D

My name actually comes from my college major, mechanical engineering. On all the paperwork and even in speaking with people mechanical engineering was abbreviated Mech. E. So I just make Mech. E into mechie (the ie is a family thing, everyone's name ends with ie, even ones that would more commonly end with a y).

My avatar is a picture of my oldest daughter when she was 2 (she's 6 now). We'd gone hiking at a local park and she found these huge maple leaves on the ground that were a big as her head. I was trying to get a good picture of her in the leaves, but as soon as she saw the camera she ran straight towards it (she's always been a little performer :D ). In the end all I got was a very close up picture of her with the leaf in front of her face.

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
meganh

Post by meganh »

Allyn wrote:
meganh wrote:.... and here's one better, I remember no computers (yea dating myself :D :D
You'll have to do better than that. :) My first computer class in high school was dumb terminals and punch cards. . so yeah, no computers, no cell phones, no Internet. . .. just three channels on a black and white TV (that you had to get up and cross the room to change the channel) for me growing up. Oh! Oh! and party lines on one of those fancy rotary phones. :) Young people have it so easy nowadays.
:D :D :D :D ok .....No computer class in school...we had the encyclopedia Britannica for a search engine :D :D :D :D :D :D :D but i love my computer now :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: no party line but had the TV :tizzy: :tizzy: :tizzy: :tizzy: used my little bro as the remote!!!
Seeds of Friendship
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Mine came from the fact i had purple coloured hair and a bit of a fluffy perm when we first got a pc and the fact that i loved the kids show Cristal Tipps and Alistair when i was small. I had to muck around with the spelling a bit as others had already taken the name but i have stuck with it ever since, and use it all over the net in every group or forum i have been in i am commonly called CT by people i have met in the real world since and answer to it as naturally as my real name which is Sam.

I don't have an actual avatar as i have never worked out how to do that :(
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

cristaltipps wrote:
Upload an image onto your computer and save it somewhere you know where to find it, go into User Control Panel at the top of the page, click on the green box called profile, click on edit avatar, click on browse and select the image you want to use, then hit submit and I think that should do it.

I used to love Cristal Tipps and Alistair when I was little :wub: I love the idea of purple hair (my favourite colour) but don't think I'd be brave enough!

My user name comes from my name, the fact that I play the cello and my gender. I started using it on the Weight Watchers message boards and no-one else seems to use it, so it has stuck.

My avatar is the badge of my beloved Wolverhampton Wanderers football team who have just been promoted as Champions from League One into the Championship of the English Football League. The girls and I are going to the last game of the season on Saturday. Can't wait!!! :whoop:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
meganh

Post by meganh »

jocellogirl wrote:
cristaltipps wrote:

I used to love Cristal Tipps and Alistair when I was little :wub: I love the idea of purple hair (my favourite colour) but don't think I'd be brave enough!
Love this....My hair is purple as we speak :whoop: :whoop: :whoop: (last year it was fuscia)
Seeds of Friendship
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL