For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

brandilynb

Re: Avatar name?

Post by brandilynb »

lavenderbee wrote:Thank you for explaining. I have not heard of Brandilyn before but of course knew Lyn is a name. Could not work out the Brandi bit, no I did not think it was your favourite tipple & you sat drinking it throughout the day @rotfl: Thought maybe it had been your favourite pet's name 'cos that pet was the colour of Brandy but now I know :D
Your welcome. This made me lol. @rotfl: I have not tried "Brandy :wine: " yet. Adding it to my To Do list. :wink:
Gypsy57

Post by Gypsy57 »

Hi everyone! Been offline for months but still stitching!
My name is the name of one of my beloved cats (now been dead and buried on the garden for many years). 57 is my lucky number. I see it all the time. Every time I check the time, on random cars driving past, any time I randomly see a number, it's 57. :whoop:
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

..You sure it's not the registration number of your stalker's car?... :wink:

Regards,

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
biscuitsandgravy

Post by biscuitsandgravy »

I've never used the name BiscuitsAndGravy anywhere until I joined this forum. I knew there were many cat lovers here and as a new cat owner, I wanted to join the club and my two cats are named Biscuits and Gravy.

My wife volunteers for a local cat adoption organization and she brought home a mother cat and her litter of six kittens that were saved from a shelter. We fostered the family in our home and she worked to get the mom and 4 of the kittens placed in great homes. We kept (the best) two brothers as neither of us could bear to see them separated.

Biscuits, the runt of the litter, got his name because when we would pet him he would knead the air endlessly with his paws, which my wife called "making air biscuits". Now that I type it, I realize that phrase may have another meaning but the double entendre just hit me...

Gravy, the biggest of the litter, always looked out for little Biscuits and since I'm from the US Midwest and grew up eating biscuits and gravy for breakfast, the names for the pair just seemed too easy!

My avatar pic is of the kitties, Biscuits being the white and steel blue one and Gravy the tabby. They are the best!
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Love those kitties, they are gorgeous. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: Love your story and a great name. The l and s at the end of my user name is for laverne and shirley. The avatar is when they were kittens and would curl up in the bottom of a Kleenex box. The first time they did that, my husband went nuts (he was retired and I was at work) until they popped their heads up. To this day, Laverne will stick a foot in the box of tissues and try and get in. Alas, she never makes it, but the tissues are all pulled out instead.
Yep, we sure do have a lot of cat and dog and bird and a few pet rodent lovers and I'm sure other animal lovers here too.

Carole
:horse: :snoopy: :alex: :puppy: :bunny: :chicken:

eta: Have we always had that bunny smilie? How could I have missed it?
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
biscuitsandgravy

Post by biscuitsandgravy »

Laverne and Shirley... that's great!! Plus I can't think of anything much cuter than kittens in a tissue box (or an adult trying to get back in still) @rotfl:
Rosheen

Post by Rosheen »

What a great topic! It's such fun reading the stories behind names and avatars. :thumbsup:

Rosheen was the name of the Border Collie I adopted when I worked as a veterinary assistant years ago. She was already 11 when she joined us and we had to let her go when she was 14. Of course I dearly loved all our animals, but she really was my number one. :love:
My avatar... I am crazy about barn owls and we gave two of them a foster home 2 years ago. Casper died of old age, and Spooky is still with us. Casper is the one in the avatar.

Love,
Hilde
Love,
Hilde

=====================================================================
DawnBreak

Post by DawnBreak »

Well, DawnBreak is pretty much because as a child I was pretty much always up early - and thought "CrackOfDawn" sounded a little rude :P
DawnBreak
xxx

---------------------------
WIP - Sacred Connection (Dimensions)

Completed:
Blue Moonlight Night
Winnie The Pooh & Tigger Cushion Cover
Bookmark "Hazel"
Bookmark "L"
eathcliff

Post by eathcliff »

What an interesting topic! I used to live not far from Haworth village which is situated at the edge of the Pennine moors in West Yorkshire, England, the area made famous by the Bronte sisters, known as Bronte country. For my very first choice of an Internet address (many years ago) I tried to use the name "Heathcliff", one of the main characters in Wuthering Heights which is a favourite read of mine. Unfortunately someone else had the same idea and grabbed it first! I decided to take away the first letter and just use "eathcliff" because it sounds the same, and it's unique............. like me 8)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It's like an East End Heathcliff :-)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Good thinking Mabel. I thought maybe it was because Yorkshire dialect elongates an 'e' sound. Yours is much better though :lol:
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
muguet

Post by muguet »

Muguet means lily of the valley in French! I am French Canadian so I usually use the French name for it because I find lily of the valley a bit long or I find that it's already in use.
It's my favourite flower and I'm a May baby so even more appropriate!
Mary

WIPs
"Angel Sampler" (S 07/05)
"Holiday Town Church" (S 08/12)
"Whats This" HAED (S 08/28)

Finishes
"Patience" (S 08/08 F 08/19)
"Schubeart" (S 20/08 F 08/23)
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

That's interesting. I'll try to remember it.

When built in 1896 our house was called 'Lily of the Valley Villa', and the front garden has a lot still. The name was changed before 1918 to something a bit shorter.

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

muguet wrote:Muguet means lily of the valley in French! I am French Canadian so I usually use the French name for it because I find lily of the valley a bit long or I find that it's already in use.
It's my favourite flower and I'm a May baby so even more appropriate!
How interesting.

Lily of the valley always reminds me of my mom. She was also French Canadian, but I never heard that name in French. (possibly she didn't know it in French, though that was her first language.)
muguet

Post by muguet »

Thank you for sharing your lily of the valley stories! I really loved reading them :wub: :wub:

Richard - we also have lily of the valleys in our garden and they grow like weeds! I honestly can't bring myself to remove some of them because they smell and look so delightful. Your villa must look great when they're all in bloom!

Roland - The only other name I know for it in French is "muguet de mai"...I'm glad the flower reminds you of your mother, it has really nice symbolism behind it (usually luck or happiness).
Mary

WIPs
"Angel Sampler" (S 07/05)
"Holiday Town Church" (S 08/12)
"Whats This" HAED (S 08/28)

Finishes
"Patience" (S 08/08 F 08/19)
"Schubeart" (S 20/08 F 08/23)
stitchnkitty

Post by stitchnkitty »

I am a shop owner and no I just listen as a stitcher. Have been stitching for 55 year or more. Seen alot come and go.. Also am an avid cat fan and volunteer at a local no kill shelter, caring, petting and monitoring the critters we have there. So there we go- it is a given.
ZlayaKoshka

Post by ZlayaKoshka »

It's so interesting to read the stories behing the names! :)
Mine is also cat-related, like stitchnkitty's, and is roughly translated as 'Angry Cat'. As far as I remember, it was done to differenciate myself in chatrooms, that were all the rage in Russian Internet at the time. But I also was depressed then, so maybe it subconsciously indicated my inner lack of peace. Right now I use it more as a legacy without thinking of it's meaning :)
--
Maria

My free cross stitch designs -- http://www.happy-stitch.net/categories/stitch-patterns/" target="_blank

2015 Finishes
Mini trees postcard
Stitching out Stigma square

WIP
Cats in the Kitchen, Janlynn crafts (UFO)
lavenderbee

Post by lavenderbee »

Thanks for explanation of names. Muguet. thanks for info. I am a May baby too & I know lily of the valley is the flower for that month & emerald is the gemstone but had forgotten the meaning behind this little flower. Had some in the garden of one of the places I have lived in & it has a lovely perfume :D
lavenderbee :-)

stitching is beewitching

Things only become problems if you let them
mysterystitcher

Post by mysterystitcher »

Hi!
You know me as mysterystitcher, because I like to surprise others.

If a couple says the famous words (they are 'I do'), I may wonder, how I could find a nice present for them. I have quite large stash of canvases, so I may grab a flower canvas and stitch it in all secrecy. Then I just arrange it to them somehow. Oh boy, do I love arranging surprises for others!

I have 2 couples to surprise even now as I write this.

The picture is from the net (forum gives some options, and I must choose from those), because the pictures I take myself are too big.
Best: MysteryStitcher

My needlepoint blog: http://mysteriousstitching.blogspot.com

My knitting blog: https://mysteriousknitting.blogspot.com