galley help

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

galley help

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi,

I have finally got some pics of my work to put into the gallery. Ive followed all the instructions to loads them, and everything goes well right up until the load bit of loading the pic..... Its been loading for about 45 mins and Ive got fed up to say the least!!!!

Does anyone know what Im doing wrong???

Also my pics are on their side, not upright.... I dont know how to rotate them them either. A friend took the pics for me on her digital camera and then emailed them to me. I then saves them onto my system and tried uploading them from there. Maybe Ive done something wrong during this stage.??

Id be gratful for any help.
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

what kind of viewer do you have on your computer? sometimes, at the very bottom of the screen, there'e an arrow that shows you which way to rotate the picture. or, in the end, ask alex to help you out. He (?) did with mine, such a sweetie!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I don't know if it is the site or what but I have been trying to load a pic into my gallery and it won't go. I have the same problem everything goes fine until I hit the upload button and then nothing. I thought it was my server. Maybe not might be this site.

As far as turning the picture when you saved them to a file on your computer you can turn them. go to the picture and open it either at the bottom of the page or off to the left side it should have some buttons to edit the picture point to each one and an explanation should come up of what it does. My machine has arrows that point left or right to show which way the picture would turn. Hope this helps
purple-footprints

any ideas on how to get hold of alex??? I havent seen him around in the site much lately...
Rose

Post by Rose »

Have you tried to send him a PM. I have done that a couple times and get an answer pretty quickly.
Alex
Site Admin

Post by Alex »

Hi all

It sounds like the general problem here is that the 'file' size is too big. This is not to be confused with the actual size of the picture, although the physical size of the pic can also prevent a successful upload.

So, there are 2 limitations when uploading your pics. The file size (measured in mb, k, or bytes) and the physical size (measured in pixels). The file size is the amount of hard disk space the picture takes up on your computer and the physical size is the amount of space the picture takes up on your computer monitor.

To find out your file sizes, 'right click' and go to 'properties' if you are using a Windows' PC. If you are using a Mac, 'option' click and then 'get info'.

You can upload your pics in one of three formats. These are JPG, GIF or PNG. Again to find out which format you pic is in, follow the procedure above for file size.

The maximum file size allowed is 128k which is the same as 128,000 bytes. The maximum physical size is 400 x 400 pixels.

Ok, now that I have totally bamboozled most of you, I have found a FREE program which will resize (and rotate!) your pics for you. It is easy to use. :D
http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm
This is for those of you using Microsoft Windows, which I assume is nearly all of you. If any of you are using a Mac, let me know and I will find a solution for you.

So, just to clarify, once you have downloaded and installed PIXresizer from the link above, you only need to remember 2 things. Select the new size which must be 400 x 400 or smaller (tick 'Maintain apsect ratio') and choose the file format (I suggest GIF). That's it!

Phew! This may sound like a complicated process, but once you have installed the PIXresizer and have followed the instructions, you will be resizing your pics in seconds. Trust me!
:D

Any probs, just post here or PM me.
purple-footprints

Thnaks Alex,
I downloaded that photo resize thing, and I now have pics in my gallery!!!

I cant thank you enough!!! :lol:
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

Thanks sooo much! I'll be dowloading that program soon enough.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Thank you Alex for the free download info, I was finally able to put in my own avatar. Linda
Linda
purple-footprints

oh thanks for reminding me.... i can change my avatar now i can resize!!! :wink:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I have just spent the last three hours resizing pics and posting in various locations, I got to get a life!!!!Linda
Linda
purple-footprints

3 hours.... wow - you must have had alot of pics and photos!

just think what you could have accomplished if those 3 hrs had been spent stitching!!! :wink:
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

You know , your are right, I would have loved to be stitching but my hands have been so bad for a couple of days, It really ticks me off, all the free time I now have being semi-retired but now I am at the mercy of the darn arthritis I have some new meds, hopefully that will give me a little more relief, oh the joys of growing old, you spend all your life working just to be in pain at the end, oh well ,enough self pity I am off to my friends for a few days since the elevator is shut down in my building, now I will get even less stitching done . :roll: :!: :!: Have a good weekend everyone.Linda
Linda
purple-footprints

sorry to hear about the arthritis. I will pray for you that the new meds help you out and can give you relief so you are able to do the things you want/need to - stitching being included there!

I hope you have a great time visiting your friend, and even though you wont be stitching as youd like, I hope you really enjoy the time together and get some rest for your hands.

enjoy the weekend!
fairie56

Post by fairie56 »

Have a great weekend, linda. I really like your new avatar.. :)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Thanks faerie its a project I did for my SIL. Figured out why I was in so much pain, and it wasnt only me, several people I talked to said they were alot worst than normal ,then it rained!!!! Problem identified, Rain, I used to like rain, not any more Hapy Stitching Linda
Linda