update and news!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

purple-footprints

update and news!

Post by purple-footprints »

Hi all,
I wasnt sure where to put this, so just started a new thread!

I wanted to say thanks to you all, I successfully stitched my seed beads onto my latest design!! Im so pleased, it was my first time with beads.

The want to ask something. My beads were 'ice' colour, so almost transparent. the fabric was white, and the surrounding stitches (on the bit i did) was black. I used white thread, coz of the fabric and bead colours, and I used the method you all spoke of, which was like they suggest in the mags. When i did the 2nd half of the stitch where you separate the two strands to go either side of the bead to secure it, you can slightly see the thread. this is a bit of a shame as the thread is white and is against black stitches. do you think i should have done the 2nd half stitch in black, or would this have been too much fidling around, or even then shown through the bead.

Overall Im very pleased, as you cant see it too much and it was my first time. The rest of the beads will be against lighter stitches, so this wont be a problem on the next part.

Thanks for all you help.

Also some more news I want to share. some of you may remember from past threads that I mentioned i was doing a degree with the open university, and that I am also busy studying this year. I got my first assignment back this weekend for the course Im doing called biological psycology, which is mostly about the brain, the course at the equivalent level to 2nd or 3rd year at convensional universities. I got 85%. Im very pleased with that grade!
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

Well done! Both with the beads and the 85%! *congratulations hugs*
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Congrats on the 85%, very well done. Good going with the beads, i would love to try something with beads but I have very poor small motor skills with my hands, both my thumbs dont work and I have no feeling in some of my fingers, so handling something as small as beads would be an incredible chore. I could probably do something with charms, be easier to handle. I will add that to my very long todo list hehe. Linda
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

85% isn't just good. It's an alpha by anyone's standards. :!: :) :!: You are right to be proud. Your tutors must be very pleased. Well done.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Well done on both accounts. I know I would be chuffed to bits if I got 85%. I know there is a lot of hard work ahead of you, but when you get results like that, it makes it all worthwhile. I did two years of an OU course but stopped after that as I wasn't able to give it the time it deserved due to commitments with the kids. Ended up doing an HNC in Legal Studies on day release through my work before I came out to Saudi.
purple-footprints

Thanks everyone.

:lol:

mauveme - I dont know if it will help you with beads, but I used a bead nabble. Its a little bit like a thimble you can put on, but its plastic and go go on any finger. It has a sticky velcro like pad (which is changable when it wears out), the beads stick to it, and you can thread them onto the needle from there with out pricking yourself. Basically you dont have to handle the beads at all. It only cost about £1.50 and I have to say I found it fantastic!
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Thanks for the tip, I have always wanted to try putting beeds in something, I have seen the "thimble" thingie, looks worth a try Linda
Linda
Becca

Post by Becca »

Sounds like everything is going really well for you, that's great :D How do the beads stick to this thimble thing exactly?
purple-footprints

Thanks becca.

The bead nabble is a funnt little thing, it is like a sticky velcro, thats the best as i can explain it. So the beads stick, and the velcro prongy bits hold them still from wobbling. Then you can just stick the needle through the hole and its on - simple as that. The nabber isnt so sticky that its hard to detatch them, it just sticky enough to stop them falling if you put your finger upside down, and of course it protects your finger from pricking yourself if you miss the hole!

When the pads loose their stickness you can rip them off the nabbler and replace with a new pad. The nabble cost £.50, and the replacement pads £2.25 for a pack of 7.

Checkthem out at sew and so webiste which shows both the nabber and the replacement pads, items 1 and 6 on the page given,plus it has all sorts of other accessories. http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ran752-0.html

It works just like in the picture!!!
Becca

Post by Becca »

Ooh that's really cool, maybe i'll have to get one of them
purple-footprints

Yep, thats exactly what I thought and how I ended up getting one, I figureed if it fifnt work or if i didnt get on with it Id not lost out on alot of money.... But it did work and i did get on with it :)