Design software

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sungirl

Design software

Post by Sungirl »

Has anyone ever used PC Stitch, or any other design software, to create your own charts from digital images? I'm looking to buy something like this, but it sure is on the expensive side, and I don't want to waste my money. Any opinions would be gratefully received.
Happy stitching!
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

I used to have Jane Greenoffs Cross Stitch Gold... which was fantastic! Unfortuantely I had it on a PC that decided not to work anymore, and I needed a password for the disc, and now it won't work anymore... *sobs*

I really should get it again though... I've actually seen it in a shop for a fiver. It was dead-easy to use, and you can easily chose the size of the picture you want to stitch, which thread you want to use and how many colours you want. Recommended!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have the PC Stitch Release 6 and have had it for about 3 years now I think. I have made many patterns for myself and find it is the only way to go.If you go to my gallery and look at the patterns I am doing for my mom's quilt you will see some of the work I have done. The John the builder I did myself and Also on that same square I did Cristine. On the dog square I did the black one named Dixie. Also all the lettering I did with my program and it makes it SOOOOOOOO nice.
catkin

Post by catkin »

:D I have Crossstitch Professional but have yet to finish a sampler that I started months ago. I like the programme and find it easy to use but I started with a rather ambitious project. When I do finish I'll put it on my gallery.

Joan
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

I have PC Stitch Pro and PC Stitch verison 7 and find both easy to use, but much prefer the Pro version.
laydenwithstitches

Re: Design software

Post by laydenwithstitches »

Sungirl wrote:Has anyone ever used PC Stitch, or any other design software, to create your own charts from digital images? I'm looking to buy something like this, but it sure is on the expensive side, and I don't want to waste my money. Any opinions would be gratefully received.
Happy stitching!
Hi Sungirl,
I think I have tried most of the programs available. All the demos anyway. Dollar for dollar, I have to say PatternMaker Pro works best for me but I also like Cross Stitch Professional 2003 (quite costly). I also like PC Stitch.
I've created a list on my site that has links to quite a few programs, even a couple of free programs. I recommend you try out the demos they offer-before you buy. All of the programs has at least one unique feature that you'll like. i just wish they could all be put into one low price, whole bundle package. You can check out the list here.
http://laydenwithstitches.4t.com/custom.html

Elaine
Elaine Layden
of
Layden With Stitches

Blog- http://laydenwithstitch.journalspace.com
Sungirl

Post by Sungirl »

Thanks everyone who responded to my question. I'm going to do as you suggest, download every trial/demo copy you recommended and have some fun this long weekend.

:D
catkin

Post by catkin »

Thats what I did before I bought mine. The only trouble was I found they all had alot of good features so it was very hard to choose :lol:
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

Ive never tried any of them. Am I missing out on a treat, or is it something you really only need if you are serious about designing?
Rose

Post by Rose »

They are extremly helpful for lettering and also if you want to try some personal designing. The first year I used it exclusively for words and phrases.