Ironing your cross stitch

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Becca

Ironing your cross stitch

Post by Becca »

Well i definitely think after i finish this project it's gonna need some flattening out. So i have read that you're supposed to put a towel underneath and iron on the reverse side. I seem to remember someone on here saying that they also put a teatowel on the top while ironing. Basically, i would like to know what's the best way to do this?
StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

I iron mine with a towel both on top and under, as I want the fabric to get straight, but I don't like my stitching to be flattened!
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

What I do when I finish a project. I soak it for about 30 minutes in warm water with some handwashing soap, like woolite, then gently swish it through the water then rinse in it in fresh water. I then roll it in a towel gently squeezing to get rid of the excess water. On a fresh towel put in down with the wrong side facing up to you and then take a warm iron and gently rub it all over the material until it is dry.
One thing to remember is to keep the ironing moving all the time, don't hold in it one place at a time.
Then lay it out flat to make sure it is completely dry before taking it to the framers. When I take it to the framers, roll it round a tube, like the inside of a roll of kitchen roll or roll of tin foil depending on the size of the material.
Rose

Post by Rose »

After I am done with a project I wash it in the gentle cycle and then I line dry it in the back yard. Once it is finished I will iron it first very quickly on the front with a medium heat iron then I turn it over and give it a go going over on high. I don't wory about pressing the stitches as they will bounce back pretty quickly. I must agree with lindagibb though and never sto the iron in one place, keep it moving.
Denise

Post by Denise »

Funnily enough, I had to iron all my finished pieces last night before I could scan them into the computer and as with others I read that it was best to have a towel underneath but what I did was wet a cotton tea-towel and squeeze out the excess water and then put my cross-stitch face down and put the damp towel over the top and ironed with a fairly hot iron...It worked just fine as the steam helps get the creases out quicker....hope this helps

Denise
xx
I've updated my gallery now xxx :-)
tab72

Post by tab72 »

Hi i also find it better to iron my cross stitch with a wet tea towel and use the steam from the iron and then it comes out with no creases and then leave over night..