Laying tool

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

catkin

Laying tool

Post by catkin »

:D I was looking through the fab. Golden kite site and happened upon the section W.I.P. In the section Garys Tips he talks about a laying tool.I think it's used to help lay the floss flat especally when using blended colours. Does anyone know about this and if so how does it work. This guy is amazing. He's only been stitching fo a few years but his work is really something.

Joan
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have never heard of this so I will have to go to the site and see what exactly he is talking about.
catkin

Post by catkin »

:) Neither had I but I've since done a search on the web and it seemes to be a thin tool sometimes with a handle or sometimes attatched to a thimble that you use to keep the floss flat and the strands laying side by side especially usefull if working with multiple strands which can end up in a twisted lump if your not carefull.They seem to be available on the web from a number of suppliers. I think it would be easier to use if working with a frame where both hands are free. I may get one to have a go.

Joan
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

ummmm, dont mean to be really stupid here, but how do you view this goldenkite site. I clicked on the link, and it wanted a username and domain. Sorry but that completely lost me.
catkin

Post by catkin »

www.goldenkite.com should get you straight to the site. Go to the W.I.P at the top of the page and you will be able to see the incredible work of a man called Gary. There are pictures of his work as the months go by and lots of Q&A's about him and the cross stitch. There are also photos of work of others who have done projects from this site. I thought it was a real eye opener. Made me feel that I need to try something a bit more special than what I've done up till now.

Joan
harsha

Post by harsha »

I must say I have read about laying tools numerous times... but I still can't quite picture it in my head on how they actually use it! LOL..
Rose

Post by Rose »

I went to the site and looked at the tools I have seen them before but never really understood why you would need them. That still has me confused. I don't see a need for them in any of the work I do. :?