Old before your time?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

StitchingAgain

Post by StitchingAgain »

inuyashagirl wrote:turning forty this month
Happy belated 40th!

purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

I have to confess to have many interests, cross stitch is by far my favourite, probaly as Im satisfied Ive done it to my best. I also attempt to knit and crochet, but dont show off any of those. I wish I lived nearer to some of you ladies who are accomplished in these so I could get a few lessons on improving!!!

I recently discovered card making, quilling, decoupage, stmaping and embossing, again very much in my infancy with my attempts at this. I find getting the ideas are the hardest. If i have a pattern or design with instructions Im fine, easy peasy!

Also I would like to add, my 6 year old has her own knitting needles and wool, and aida with big holes and large blunt needles to stitch with. My 13 year old, isnt so much keen on knitting, but has said she wants to cross stitch, but as yet still hasnt, but she is really into the cardmaking and related crafts. she often dissappears for hours to dabble with ideas..... and between you and me that suits me fine as it gets her teenage mood swings away from me!!! :wink:
laydenwithstitches

You Aren't Old - You're developing a skill that takes time

Post by laydenwithstitches »

Stitch something for them. They stop with the "old" comments and start bragging to others about how talented you are.
Elaine Layden
of
Layden With Stitches

Blog- http://laydenwithstitch.journalspace.com
Rose

Post by Rose »

purple-foote-prints

Is that how you deal with teenagers, I wish mine would do that but she is an internet junky.
laydenwithstitches

cross stitching is for the Old

Post by laydenwithstitches »

Actually, I was referring to Andrea's comment.
I'm 26 and here most of people things that cross stitch is a thing for old people.
But the best weapon I ever had for my teenagers was GUILT.
I won't win any Parent of the Year awards for that but, you gotta do what works for you.
Elaine Layden
of
Layden With Stitches

Blog- http://laydenwithstitch.journalspace.com
purple-footprints

Post by purple-footprints »

I have to say, Ive not found anything that completely works for the dreaded teens. My daughter is also an internet junky.... Im sure its down to her why I keep getting so many gremlins on the system. We just have the one computer, and I insist my study take priority! I also have the whole system password protected, and Im the only one who know the passwords - that works well!

Fairie - I recently treated myself to a lamp as i saw it on special offer. Im sure you would be able to get something similar there. This lamp uses a daylight bulb, which is absolutely fantastic. I hadnt realised how much eye strain i was getting until i got this lamp. It is bendy so you can angle the light to your work or pattern (or both, if your near enough). It also has clip for you chart, and a magnifyer - again both are adjustable. I wish I could show you it, or better still let you try it. Im sure it would help you out and solve that squinting.

As rose said, you can also get each of these separatly. some clip to a frame/ring, some clip to a table, some stand on a table, some even stand on the floor - obviously the bigger they are the more they cost.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Fairie- When I was at class to night I stopped in the cross-stitch area of the store(of course I did) and I found a magnifier with a light on it and it has the string and all to go aound your neck the glass was about 5 inches across I think. Anyway the price was 15.95 US dollars Don't know what the price to ship would be but if you go on the Michaels.com site they should have it as that is the store I do classes at. Just thought you might want to check it out.
inuyashagirl

Post by inuyashagirl »

thanks stitchingagain for the belated birthday

It means alot

Debbie aka inuyashagirl